No announcement yet.

Photobucket.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So they are importing facebook albums without the account owners request. Holy shit, lawsuit x2 on that one.

I suspect another reason their site is really jacked up today is from what I've been reading in 4chan they are getting hammered with DDOS by pissed off snowflake geeks with some hacking skills as payback. You think we are ticked off about this, you ought to read what the entitlement addicted snowflake generation is saying (99% of it could not be typed here). And once focused on a "cause", there are no rules with a lot of that generation.

PB may be reaping what they sowed.....
    Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

Originally posted by dward51 View Post
      So they are importing facebook albums without the account owners request. Holy shit, lawsuit x2 on that one.

I suspect another reason their site is really jacked up today is from what I've been reading in 4chan they are getting hammered with DDOS by pissed off snowflake geeks with some hacking skills as payback. You think we are ticked off about this, you ought to read what the entitlement addicted snowflake generation is saying (99% of it could not be typed here). And once focused on a "cause", there are no rules with a lot of that generation.

PB may be reaping what they sowed.....
      Consequences for bad decisions
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dward51 View Post
        Heh, right on schedule.

Originally posted by DDave
        I predict some sort of denial of service attack or other Internet mayhem will befall BotoPhucket soon. They have pissed off a LOT of people. And taking away a free service that so many people have come to enjoy in this age of the social justice warrior won't go unanswered I am sure.
        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
        -
        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Yeah I'm shutting mine down and telling them to pound sand.

Comment

As I've said, I'm soooo glad I never signed up with them. What a nightmare! I hope they fall flat on their face.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by barleypop View Post
              Yeah I'm shutting mine down and telling them to pound sand.
              I think I'll wait a day or a week till I close mine out...Just in case they reverse their decision...
              Still it's time to sign up on another site
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

I'm going to leave my account "as is" for now. My photos are still showing up in forums. But as soon as they lock me down I will give it a week or two and if they don't reverse this insane policy, I'm deleting my account entirely never to look back. My logic is if the links are broken I have no reason to leave anything there for them to try and profit off of (from the per click add driven revenue if people try to view my stuff on their site even).

As Mr Wonderful would say....... "you are dead to me".
                Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

I have a lot of pics on PB and it will be a shame all the links will be broken. Once they lock an account and the link is broken you will still have to go back and re-do all links to your pics that were posted if they change their view and re-instate access to accounts. ImageShack went thru this a few years back and now they are one of the top rated premium photo hosting sites.
                  Now I see big changes in the future of many types of sites. I don't agree with the way PB went about this(they could have given a reasonable time notice before they started locking things down).
                  But, I do understand why they implemented the changes.
                  Also, many of the other sites that people are flocking to have similar clauses in their TOS and will likely go the same way in the near future(premium accounts). These companies are not getting money from advertising like they used to. So they have to offset the expenses of all the bandwidth & storage the free accounts have caused. I don't think $400 is a fair amount, but it's their call.
                  And as far as people saying "I'll close my account", they could give a chit less because most are free account that don't create income for them. I do think they will redo their pricing for paying accounts.
                  Let's face it the free rides are coming to an end.
                  You wouldn't work for free at your job, but yet you expect a business to work for free for you.
                  JMHO-YMMV
                  Jim

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
                    I have a lot of pics on PB and it will be a shame all the links will be broken. Once they lock an account and the link is broken you will still have to go back and re-do all links to your pics that were posted if they change their view and re-instate access to accounts. ImageShack went thru this a few years back and now they are one of the top rated premium photo hosting sites.
                    Now I see big changes in the future of many types of sites. I don't agree with the way PB went about this(they could have given a reasonable time notice before they started locking things down).
                    But, I do understand why they implemented the changes.
                    Also, many of the other sites that people are flocking to have similar clauses in their TOS and will likely go the same way in the near future(premium accounts). These companies are not getting money from advertising like they used to. So they have to offset the expenses of all the bandwidth & storage the free accounts have caused. I don't think $400 is a fair amount, but it's their call.
                    And as far as people saying "I'll close my account", they could give a chit less because most are free account that don't create income for them. I do think they will redo their pricing for paying accounts.
                    You wouldn't work for free at your job, but yet you expect a business to work for free for you.
                    JMHO-YMMV
                    All fair points and I get it. However, if I have to go back to PB and fix all the links, why would I bother after the way it was handled? If I have to start over/fix links, I'm certainly going to another host to begin that process even if I do have to pay for it.

This is like your Ex going bat shit crazy one day and then perhaps stating, please come back, we can fix it! My response is, it's not worth the trouble and there is no longer any trust.
                    Pete
                    Large BGE
                    Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Originally posted by Abelman View Post
                      All fair points and I get it. However, if I have to go back to PB and fix all the links, why would I bother after the way it was handled? If I have to start over/fix links, I'm certainly going to another host to begin that process even if I do have to pay for it.

This is like your Ex going bat shit crazy one day and then perhaps stating, please come back, we can fix it! My response is, it's not worth the trouble and there is no longer any trust.
                      I agree with you about going with a different company. Starting over is starting either way.
                      PB and ImageShack crashed a few years ago and all pic links were broken. They got everything back and running and only lost a few of the last picks posted, but even though they recovered all the pics, people had to go back and redo the picks in their posts. I had accounts at both places. That's when ImageShack started changing their polices.
                      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
                        I do think they will redo their pricing for paying accounts.
                        I'm beginning to wonder if that was not their plan for the start. Given the wide availability of "free" services on the Internet it stands to reason that the request for even a modest form of payment would cause an uproar amongst normal folks and calls for counter measures from the social justice warrior crowd. But if they came out with "Give us $400 a year or you can't 3rd party link your photos." then a couple weeks later say "Okay, we'll let you 3rd party link for only $60 a year" many folks will say 'Okay that's reasonable. We'll do that."
                        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                        UDS 1.0
                        Afterburner
                        Weber Performer
                        Blue Thermapen
                        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                        Auber Smoker Controller
                        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                        -
                        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                          I'm beginning to wonder if that was not their plan for the start. Given the wide availability of "free" services on the Internet it stands to reason that the request for even a modest form of payment would cause an uproar amongst normal folks and calls for counter measures from the social justice warrior crowd. But if they came out with "Give us $400 a year or you can't 3rd party link your photos." then a couple weeks later say "Okay, we'll let you 3rd party link for only $60 a year" many folks will say 'Okay that's reasonable. We'll do that."
                          Free ain't free anymore. They showed us that. As I have said, set up your own website and post your pics from there...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Dave, great observation. When I got the email form them, my thought was it's $50-60 a year which I completely understand.

However, if once the links are broken and they have to be individually repaired, they could pay me $400 a year and I'd still give them the 1 finger salute.

I downloaded all my stuff, haven't deleted anything from there so I'll just wait and see how this plays out.
                            Pete
                            Large BGE
                            Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Free was never free....

You go to their site for the last 2 years and you have to fight against popup ads and autorun videos. It has been so bad i just stopped posting pictures.
                              Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

I keep hearing folks talk about fixing the broken links...But I don't know how that works...So mine stay broken I guess...
                                Craig
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X