Venison hams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venison hams

I am doing some venison hinds into hams for a customer. What great fun trussing these things up! Anyway...here's a shot a week into curing. I removed them from the bags, dried them off, and wrapped tight in plastic for a few more days. Then off to the smoker. I'm going to take them to 145° I figger, then chill for later baking by the customer. I used Tenderquick by weight per ham, and CBP, onion and garlic powder .5 teaspoon each/Lb for seasoning.

In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

All lookin great so far Rich. Can't wait to see the final product. All the best...
    ---------------------------------------------------
    I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    KCBS CBJ

Comment

Oh yeah, that will be some good stuff! Looking forward to the finished pics.
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

I hate to be a party pooper but they would have been a lot better if the fat and blue membrain had been removed. To me thats a sign of poor butchering. That fat will add a foul taste . IMHO
        Col. Big Guy

Comment

Originally posted by Big Guy View Post
          I hate to be a party pooper but they would have been a lot better if the fat and blue membrain had been removed. To me thats a sign of poor butchering. That fat will add a foul taste . IMHO
          There ain't much there, really... When cured, before smoking I will remove any small bits, and plan on using either bacon strips or a rendered bacon fat rub as well. Fortunately, the deer were harvested locally, meaning they eat better than yer average deer from the boonies, and tend to be better flavored of course.

Another problem with venison hams... if you REALLY dig in and get everything out, yer left with jerky strips to try to tie up.
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Big Guy View Post
            Most know my thoughts on this subject. You just can't get all that stuff out unless you separate all the muscles and trim every one separately.

Like this...

However, for doing a whole ham, looks like you did a fine job and I'm sure you will have happy customers. If you spent as much time trimming as I do, it would not be worth your time. It takes me 1 hour to trim 1 ham.
            Keith

Comment

These would be new to me.... So, traditionally speaking, how would these be prepared or served?.... What does the cure do for this chunk (firmness, flavor, etc)...
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
                Most know my thoughts on this subject. You just can't get all that stuff out unless you separate all the muscles and trim every one separately.

Like this...

However, for doing a whole ham, looks like you did a fine job and I'm sure you will have happy customers. If you spent as much time trimming as I do, it would not be worth your time. It takes me 1 hour to trim 1 ham.
                i do know thats the only way to do it in my book, separate the rump, top round, bottom round, eye of round, and sirloin tip. remove all fat, silverskin, sinew. i dont know about it taking an hour to trim up a ham. can very easily trim up a whole deer ready for freezer and grinder in a couple hours and do it without wasting any meat.

i do agree about removing all fat and silverskin Rich... really makes a difference, even if they are your local cornfed/acorn fed deer. also the separate muscles cook at different rates. the bottom round is much more tender than the sirloin tip etc... so not separating does not give you the best results. i remember back in the day when we used to cut round steaks from the hind. always have a tender section, a so so section, and then a tough as leather section. leaving together really not using to its full potential. the separated muscle groups give you much finer eating... you will enjoy your venison much more imho.
                Charbroil SFB
                GOSM
                MES
                Dutch Ovens and other CI
                Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Looks good to me... but what do I know??
                  the closest thing I have come to hunting was this weekend with my brothers new "Cabelas" hunting game for the Wii... Its sacry when large animals are running at ya in the tube and your trying to shoot them.. you hunters are farken crazy! LOL!!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
                    i do know thats the only way to do it in my book, separate the rump, top round, bottom round, eye of round, and sirloin tip. remove all fat, silverskin, sinew. i dont know about it taking an hour to trim up a ham. can very easily trim up a whole deer ready for freezer and grinder in a couple hours and do it without wasting any meat.

i do agree about removing all fat and silverskin Rich... really makes a difference, even if they are your local cornfed/acorn fed deer. also the separate muscles cook at different rates. the bottom round is much more tender than the sirloin tip etc... so not separating does not give you the best results. i remember back in the day when we used to cut round steaks from the hind. always have a tender section, a so so section, and then a tough as leather section. leaving together really not using to its full potential. the separated muscle groups give you much finer eating... you will enjoy your venison much more imho.
                    X2 thats the way I do it. I have gourmet venison when I'm done. I like solid pieces of meat not tied up scraps.
                    Col. Big Guy

Comment

I just thought more about venison in the last 2 minutes then i can remember before....Great Place this is.....

Looks good Rich!!!!! Thanks for sharing this...And the others input.

Comment

I was...err..."hamstringed" by the customer. I told him I typically make a "football ham" and then would tie up the other groups for another, but (and 2 hams ARE done in seperate muscles, the one pictured is the whole hind) he wanted the WHOLE hind in a ham. The other hind was seperated out a bit too, due to meat damage. Soo..I did what I could. Maybe I should have taken a pict of the 3 "less than whole" ones heh... I was pretty happy to get that sommabitch to hold together!

Comment

interesting project,, rich - something i've been wanting to try and similar to my pastrama (not pastrami) project that i will hopefully be starting this weekend.

king and erain stated my views exactly on trimming. for best results, all of the "stuff" needs to be romoved and i am sure you are aware of that, but when customer says frog, you gotta jump! even my ground venison is completely free of fat, silverskin and tendon etc. as possible. no matter how well the deer has been eating (up here it is mostly grains and alfalfa) the silverskin and fat can really ruin the experience, and the worst of all is probably a bone saw anywhere near my venison, in my opinion - therefore it doesn't happen. no need to put that stuff into your meat, your freezer or your mouth!

i would be interested in seeing the results if one were to trim out a HQ of everything and then roll it all together and truss it similar to the pix in your opening post. as erain says, different roasts have different levels of tenerness, but i would think that the curing and the slow-cooking would even that out to a point where it wouldn't matter any more than it does with a regular ham. the curing and pressure from trussing etc. might also help to "meld" the different cuts into one coherent ham, perhaps?

all that aside, a very nice-looking project and one that i would be interested in developing a little more, if possible.
                          Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
                          Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

that looks great to me, I have found when doing cured venison the silver skin seams to break down some,at least with veni pastrami.Rich this may be a dumb question but what is CBP?
                            sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
                            members mark upright propane smoker
                            kingsford bbq
                            23"weber kettle

Comment

Originally posted by Jimh View Post
                              .Rich this may be a dumb question but what is CBP?
                              No dumb questions. Err..well, there are, but this ain't one

Cracked Black Pepper

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4974

Comment

Working...
                              X