No announcement yet.

Pasole? Pazole? Not Pasole? I dunno...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pasole? Pazole? Not Pasole? I dunno...

I never made Pasole before but after seeing cowgirl post her version on another site I just had to give it a try...Looked at dozens of recipes till my head hurt...No two were alike but the all had one thing in common (except cowgirl's)...Pork and hominy...OK that's two things I figured I can do this...
    So with no recipe to follow...

Started by cooking some bacon in a T. of butter till crisp...
    This is not crisp yet...

Set the bacon aside and threw some onion into the pan...

After the onion had cooked a bit I added a bunch of garlic and roasted Hatch peppers...Set that aside too...

In the DO I placed the leftover smoked hambone from Thanksgiving with some bay leaves and three pints of water...
    Simmered this with the lid on the DO for 45 min at 450 lid temp on the Weber and another 45 min at 350 lid temp...

Ham removed, liquid strained, Ham defatted and shredded...
    Added some coals to the dwindling fire...The DO goes back to the grill...
    Broth, ham, and onion mix added...
    Seasoned with 1T. Ancho powder, .5 T. Chipotle powder, .5 T. cumin, .5 T. fine black pepper, and .25 T. salt...
    Back to a boil before adding a pint of my fire roasted tomatoes with Serranno peppers...Also three cans of white hominy rinsed well...

Toasted some buttered bread...

Soup in the bowl looks pretty good

But proper Pasole needs to be dressed....
    I used sliced radishes, roasted Jalapenos (because I couldn't get any fresh), shredded lettuce (because I didn't have any cabbage), and finished it with some smoked cheddar and the crisp bacon...
    Notice that there is NO avocado to be seen

After enjoying the soup the way it was I realized I had forgot to add the cilantro, green onion, and lime wedges...

WTF...It was outstanding the way it was...

A great day on the patio...60 degrees with almost no wind...On Jan. 2!
    Don't get much better than that...

Thanks for looking...
    Last edited by SMOKE FREAK; 01-05-2017, 06:25 AM.
    Craig
    sigpic

Looks and sounds like a great dinner.
    Jim

Comment

Man Craiger, that looks awesome and hearty too! I could eat on a pot of that for a week

Great thread and pics, and neat to see something different, that I have yet to try. Nice work
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post

But prpoer Pasole needs to be dressed....

I used sliced radishes, roasted Jalapenos (because I couldn't get any fresh), shredded lettuce (because I didn't have any cabbage), and finished it with some smoked cheddar and the crisp bacon...
        Notice that there is NO avocado to be seen
        Never been much for hominy, kinda bland, bhut that sounds & looks yummy...
        Way to let that FREAK flag fly...

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
        Paul

Comment

Great job on that one!! all day for this fine dish whatever you want to call it!!
          Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
          Yoder YS640
          Weber Genesis
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber Performer
          Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

To make hominy, field corn (maize) grain is dried, then treated by soaking and cooking the mature (hard) grain in a dilute solution of lye, slaked lime (calcium hydroxide), or wood ash ( nixtamalization). The soaked maize is washed. Alkalinity helps dissolve hemicellulose, the major glue-like component of the maize cell walls, loosens the hulls from the kernels, and softens the corn. Also, soaking the corn in lime[1] kills the seed's germ, which keeps it from sprouting while in storage. Finally, in addition to providing a source of dietary calcium, the lime reacts with the corn so that the nutrient niacin can be assimilated by the digestive tract.[citation needed] People consume hominy in intact kernels, grind it into sand-sized particles for grits, or into flour.

In Mexican cooking, hominy is finely ground to make masa. Fresh masa that has been dried and powdered is called masa seca or masa harina. Some of the corn oil breaks down into emulsifying agents (monoglycerides and diglycerides), and facilitates bonding the corn proteins to each other. The divalent calcium in lime acts as a cross-linking agent for protein and polysaccharide acidic side chains. Cornmeal from untreated ground corn can't form a dough with the addition of water, but the chemical changes in masa (aka masa nixtamalera) to make dough formation possible, for tortillas and other food.

Previously, consumimg untreated corn was thought to cause pellagra (niacin deficiency)—either from the corn itself or some infectious element in untreated corn. However, further advancements showed that it is a correlational relationship not causal. In the 1700 and 1800s, areas that depended highly on corn as a staple diet were more likely to have pellagra. This is because humans can't absorb niacin in untreated corn. The nixtamalization process frees niacin into a state where the intestines can absorb it. This was discovered primarily by exploring why Mexican people who depended on maize did not develop pellagra. One reason was that Mayans treated corn in an alkaline solution to soften it, in the process we now call nixtamalization.[2] The earliest known use of nixtamalization was in what is present-day southern Mexico and Guatemala around 1500–1200 BC.
            Learn something new every day.
            So the big white bits are the hominy.
            No clue what they taste like or the texture.

Rest definitely works
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Leave it to a man and his grill.

Looks great!

Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
              My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
              @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Craiger, you just impressed the hell outta me with that. Fine job me friend, and great pics!
                Last edited by HawgHeaven; 01-05-2017, 09:27 AM.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Nice job!!!
                  Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
                  Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
                  A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
                  A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
                  Frogmats
                  Maverick ET 732
                  Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

That looks fabulous, Craig, and it's beautifully dressed!
                    Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                    Weber Smokey Joe
                    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                    Pink Thermapen
                    Purple Thermapen

Comment

A lot of restaurants in West Texas serve Pasole. I cannot make out the finished product under the layer of cheese, but your broth is right on the money... in fact it looks better that any I've ever eaten!!!

Another popular West Texas dish with hominy is Menudo... basically the same as Pasole except with beef / pork tripe. In my younger days, anytime we would go drinking in Juarez, we always stopped for a bowl of Menudo on the way home to ward off a hangover!!!
                      Last edited by HornedToad; 01-05-2017, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks all for the points and the kind words...
                        I cant believe that at 58 years I had never even heard of Pasole...Never eaten it and obviously never cooked it...Well all that has changed...This was as good as about any chili I ever ate...The hominy, which I wouldn't eat alone, was a great addition...Interesting texture that I liked better than beans...Lena was a bit surprised at the idea of a "salad" on top of the soup but after a couple of bites was alright with the idea
                        I will be doing this again...Or at least another version of the same...
                        Craig
                        sigpic

Comment

I was introduced to Pasole through a different recipe. It's not a soup type like you made, more of a filler for whatever you want to make. It's good alone with some melted cheese but my favorite is mixed with scrambled eggs for breakfast burritos.

Pasole
                          Bored Guy Blog

Comment

Sounds great...
                            Like I said after reading dozens of recipes no two were the same...
                            Craig
                            sigpic

Comment

That is some good looking posole but you screwed up! You HAVE to garnish with cabbage!!! If you don't have any you go out and get some! Also to me posole doesn't taste right without either Tapatio or Valencia hot sauce. As you can tell I'm kind of a Posole snob.

Around here most of the posole has pork butt cut into bite sized pieces and pork neck bones. Some add chicken but I don't like it with chicken. Also make sure you use a good quality hominy too. We also served it with tostadas with sour cream, hot sauce and a little cotija cheese on top.
                              Weber Performer, 26" Weber grill, 18" WSM, UDS, Santa Maria Grill

Comment

Working...
                              X