No announcement yet.

Anyone have any pointers on an mes 40?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have any pointers on an mes 40?

Hello everyone!

I’m having terrible luck at using my mes 40. No matter what I do, I cannot get good smoke out of it. The food comes out rather not good tasting. It seems as though I am not getting enough air. Here’s the story.

I bought this thing quite awhile ago. Used it a few times without any luck of good smoked food. Always used unsoaked wood chips with the top ventcwide open. Tried the last time with the wood chip tube out also to allow more air flow.

So today I bought an a-maze-n smoker maze thinking this would help and use pellets. Low and behold same deal. Pellets start to smolder and the food tastes weird. Tried the vent wide open, wood chip tube out. I even put a small fan blowing air in the wood chip tube.
    Does anyone have any idea what in the crap I am doing wrong? I have wasted s lot of money on food trying to get this thing to work right, and I’m running out of patience with it. Half temped to sell it and call it quits! Haha.

Thanks!

First of all, to the forum...
    Talk to Bearcarver... He's our resident MES 40 guru...

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
    Paul

Comment

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
      First of all, to the forum...
      Talk to Bearcarver... He's our resident MES 40 guru...
      Was just gonna recommend that guy... ya beat me to it ICE!

aboard from DelaWhere!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

What is the weather like there? If it is cold and/or damp it can cause issues. Here in FL it is very humid and sometimes the pellets won't burn well. I keep them stored in a dry area and still have issues sometimes. When it is humid or damp I will run the smoker about 10 deg. higher than normal and I pre heat the pellets in the microwave which drives moisture out and makes them easier to ignite. I actually have better luck with a pellet tube instead of the maze as it burns hotter and smokes more. Last week I had the maze in it and it wouldn't burn well so I added the tube & it burned well. Other than that you have tried everything that I would. What were you cooking?
        MES 30"
        A-Maze-N pellet smoker
        Weber 22" kettle
        E-Z-Que rotisserie
        Weber Smokey Joe
        Big Weber Gasser
        Cracker Smoker
        UDS

Comment

Thanks for the reply’s everyone! This time I was smoking pork loin and 4 chicken breasts. It was about 45 degrees and low humidity. I read after the fact that it is a good idea to microwave the pellets. It is a new bag that I bought last night. So I did not do that. Everything just really seems like an air flow issue to me. I would take the maze back out and light them again and they would burn like crazy. Stick them back in the smoker, and get nice blue smoke. Then within 10 minutes or so I have billowing white smoke.

Comment

from Utah

So X2 on what L20A said, the pellets need to absolutely dry,
            I also tried the tray and dust and found I have a lot better
            success with the tube and pellets also, I never did like the "chip tray"
            as I couldn't get the smoke I wanted out of it and having
            to reload it is a PIA. You can get several good hours of smoke
            with the tube. I always microwave mine a little to to make
            sure they're dry. Get it "good" and lit let it burn abut 10 minutes
            then I put mine on the bottom, I pull the tube on the side out
            some to get more air. I know some people also add very small
            chunks of charcoal but I have never done that. Check back in
            a while and Mr Bearcarver (John) will be along to add his expertise
            Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
            Weber 22.5" WSM
            Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
            Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
            Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
            Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
            Weber 18.5" Kettle
            Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
            Weber Smokey Joe
            GMG Daniel Boone
            Pit Barrel Cooker
            Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
            6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
            Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
            The Vortex

Comment

Do you know which generation MES you have?
              It depends on which Gen it is, as to where you should put the AMNPS.

The Tube puts out too much smoke for a small smoker like an MES. Stick with the 5 X 8 AMNPS.

If you have a Gen #1, put the AMNPS on the support rods in the bottom left.
              If you have a Gen #2.5 put the bottom rack in & put the AMNPS on the right end of that bottom rack, and pull the chip dumper out about 3".
              If it's a Gen #2, I'm sorry to hear that, but let me know & I'll tell you some things that should help.

Here's how to tell them apart:
              http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41046

Bear
              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I can't help ya with MES issues but I can tell ya that if ya hang around here that your name is gonna need fixed

from Kansas...
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

Another thing is altitude!!

You don't say where you live.
                  Here's my theory on Amazing smokers.
                  If you learn how to light your AMNPS & where to put it, you will have Great success in an MES, unless you are at a high altitude.

If you are at a high altitude, you will need the Amazing Tube, because the AMNPS tray needs more air flow.

By the same token, if you are at a low altitude, the AMNPS works Great, and the Tube puts out too much smoke.

Bear
                  Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                    I can tell ya that if ya hang around here that your name is gonna need fixed
                    I was thinking the same thing.

And from California.
                    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                    -
                    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                      if ya hang around here that your name is gonna need fixed
                      Originally posted by DDave View Post
                      I was thinking the same thing.
                      Mee three! And welcome from Lovely Lake Orion MI. Where Living is a vacation and all on probation. :D
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks again for all of the replies! I forgot to mention that I am from Iowa.

Bear, it looks just like the gen 2 on the inside and controls wise (mine has no window though) but the vent on mine is on the top and not on the side. It’s says it is an elite sportsman on the door and is also redhead logo’ed on the door.

Now after doing some more looking, it turns out I think I have a 30 and not a 40! That could make a difference haha!

Thanks again for all the help!

Comment

Originally posted by ImTerribleAtThis View Post
                          Thanks again for all of the replies! I forgot to mention that I am from Iowa.

Bear, it looks just like the gen 2 on the inside and controls wise (mine has no window though) but the vent on mine is on the top and not on the side. It’s says it is an elite sportsman on the door and is also redhead logo’ed on the door.

Now after doing some more looking, it turns out I think I have a 30 and not a 40! That could make a difference haha!

Thanks again for all the help!

Some of the newer Gen #2 units have the top vent on the top back left corner, instead of on the side.

If it is a Gen #2, and has the slanted plate (higher on the right) covering the whole bottom, above the Chip burner, it should have a little water pan hanging on the left end of that plate.

Remove that water pan, and place your AMNPS over the hole left by the water pan being removed. That should allow air to flow up through the water pan hole and past your AMNPS.

If that doesn't work, Remove that big stupid slanted plate entirely.
                          Then put your bottom Smoking rack in, and set your AMNPS on the right end of that rack. Then pull your chip dumper out about 3".
                          Also put a foil pan on the middle of that bottom rack to catch drips.

BTW: If you put "Iowa" in your "About me" page, it will come up on all your posts, at the top right of each post.

Bear

Comment

I will give these ideas a try this weekend if I get some time! Thank you for the ideas. It does have the slanted tray and water pan. I’ll will give both a shot and see if I can get some good smoke coming out of it. I also added Iowa up there in my bio.

Also Bear, thank you for your service!

Comment

I had a MES 30" unit until last year when after 10 years it died. Now I have a 40" that I love. I try to place the unit so the chip tube opening faces into whatever breeze is present and I leave the chip tube out. Also, I mix in some charcoal pellets with the wood pellets as this seems to help keep the pellets burning better than without them; about 1 to 3 charcoal to wood mix. The charcoal pellets are cheap and easy to find. Hope this helps. One other thing that I have found to effect the air flow is big alum pans & trays. I used to put drip trays under the butts & abt's to keep the grease under control. I found that the smaller trays work best and the bigger ones impede the air flow.
                              MES 30"
                              A-Maze-N pellet smoker
                              Weber 22" kettle
                              E-Z-Que rotisserie
                              Weber Smokey Joe
                              Big Weber Gasser
                              Cracker Smoker
                              UDS

Comment

Working...
                              X