Smoked-Meat Forums

Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Food & Cooking Safety

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 Boneless & Skinless Chicken Thighs (Second Round)
Last Post: Bearcarver
Posted On: 11-17-2017
Replies: 2
Views: 57
0 Thanks Rich
Last Post: Bearcarver
Replies: 10
Views: 143
0 Small Blade Roast
Last Post: Richtee
Replies: 5
Views: 167
0 Still Blonde...
Last Post: dsgarner06
Replies: 4
Views: 100
0 Howdy!
Last Post: Mark R
Replies: 17
Views: 185
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,415 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 42,851 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 642,490 Polls 36
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 10-27-2017, 11:15 AM
Rub Mixer

Jimr Is Better Then Most In His Neighborhood At Grilling & SmokingJimr Is Better Then Most In His Neighborhood At Grilling & Smoking
Default pulled pork from picnic

What is the time in the danger zone for pork? I got the picnic into the smoker at 6:45 with an internal of 38*. When will it be an issue with bacteria development? Smoker has been 225-250* since start. Picnic is about 8-9lbs.

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 10-27-2017, 12:07 PM
Lake & BBQ Baby!!

barkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To All
barkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To All

Did you probe prior to cooking?

Or did you probe after the outside temp was raised?

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
Yoder YS640
Weber Genesis
Weber 18.5" Kettle
Weber Performer
Misfit # 1899

Old 10-27-2017, 12:16 PM
Rub Mixer

Jimr Is Better Then Most In His Neighborhood At Grilling & SmokingJimr Is Better Then Most In His Neighborhood At Grilling & Smoking

prior to cooking. It's @ 131* right now

Last edited by Jimr; 10-27-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:21 PM
Lake & BBQ Baby!!

barkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To All
barkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To All

the "rule" is 40 to 140 in 4 hours. .... but I guess there are different thoughts on that too... so I guess you have not hit 40 yet so you will still have 4 hours after you hit 140...

Yoder YS640
Weber Genesis
Weber 18.5" Kettle
Weber Performer
Misfit # 1899

Old 10-28-2017, 10:05 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

And dont probe cold meat. Why? You know what the temp is Probe AFTER surface has reached 140. Its a small risk..but it IS possible to poke nasties on the outside...inside.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:20 AM
miss ya gary....

chefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To All
chefrob Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkonbutts View Post
the "rule" is 40 to 140 in 4 hours. .... but I guess there are different thoughts on that too... so I guess you have not hit 40 yet so you will still have 4 hours after you hit 140...
pretty sure ya meant 40........

like rich said don't take temps until the surface hits 140+..........if it is a "whole intact muscle" you really don't have to worry about the danger zone in most cooking situations.

it's all good my friend..........
Old 10-28-2017, 10:36 AM
Lake & BBQ Baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefrob View Post
pretty sure ya meant 40........

like rich said don't take temps until the surface hits 140+..........if it is a "whole intact muscle" you really don't have to worry about the danger zone in most cooking situations.
yeah I did.. thanks!!

Yoder YS640
Weber Genesis
Weber 18.5" Kettle
Weber Performer
Misfit # 1899

Old 10-29-2017, 10:09 AM
Padre

crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All
crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All

For the longest time I inserted my temp probe at the time I was preping and injecting. I figured if I kept everything clean it couldn't be any worse than the needles i was using. I just kept everything clean.

These days I keep everything much simpler, just a good rub and low and slow nothing below 250F.

I have always found it difficult to make 140F in 4 hours cooking at 255 to 250F. I have since raised my cooking temps to 250 to 275F and do not have any issues getting 140F when I insert the probe at the 4 hour mark.

Last note on breaking 140F within 4 hours, and it differs slightly from my brothers. I believe this is a government standard used for the commercial preparation of products and used to keep the public safe. While it is important it is no less important than kitchen cleanliness and personal hygiene during food prep.

During my early days of smoking I tried to "low and slow" method of cooking at 225F and really had difficulties in getting to 140F in 4 hours. I will admit there were smokes that 140F occurred more around the 5 hour mark. While the 140F is the industry benchmark and should be ours when cooking it may not be all that. It is any part of the equation for for safety.

Good luck.
Island of Misfit Smokers Member #94

weber smokie joe
18.5" weber prefomer
22.5" weber kettle
ECB
Chargriller SnP well modified
one ugly ass drum smoker
New Braunfels Bandera in dry dock for a service life extension overhaul

and

saving for a trailer mounted 60" reverse flow for my christmas present
Old 10-29-2017, 12:04 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty ol salt View Post
Last note on breaking 140F within 4 hours, and it differs slightly from my brothers. I believe this is a government standard used for the commercial preparation of products and used to keep the public safe. While it is important it is no less important than kitchen cleanliness and personal hygiene during food prep.
IT of a whole muscle un-molested hunk of meat does NOT have to reach 140/4 hrs. It would be nice, but thats it. Because it was never exposed to any pathogens..they aint there to grow.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Food & Cooking Safety