Apple wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple wood

I finally found some apple wood... and that was hard to do in Texas!!!

It was pricey... a quarter cord cost as much as I pay for a cord of Pecan.

Never smoked with Apple wood except using the chips / chunks on top of charcoal.

Cannot wait to try it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love apple wood, especially on salmon, cheese and poppers. It will work well with smoked pork chops too. Ain't too bad with double smoked bacon either!
    Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
    Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
    A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
    A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
    Frogmats
    Maverick ET 732
    Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Apple is my favorite by far.
      Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
      My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
      @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Yeah apple good. Very mild and slightly sweet.
        Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
        Yoder YS640
        Weber Genesis
        Weber 18.5" Kettle
        Weber Performer
        Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Nice.

Originally posted by dsgarner06 View Post
          Love apple wood, especially on salmon...
          I like it with pork and chicken...will have to try it with salmon when the weather warms up!
          Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
          Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
          1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
          Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
          Weber Smokey Joe
          Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
          Pink Thermapen
          Purple Thermapen

Comment

In my cabinet I love apple wood and Peach wood chunks since I come by that in smaller amounts. I Love Wild Cherry wood in the Iron Maiden since I can get that in splits. If I was being banished to an island and could only take one type of wood...It'd be apple.
            BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
            Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
            I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

I love apple wood! And if you ever run across sugar maple, grab all you can get. Damn that's goooood!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                I love apple wood! And if you ever run across sugar maple, grab all you can get. Damn that's goooood!
                Jim

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                  Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
                  Yeah, I had a good source on it butt the old guy I was getting it from passed away and his land was sold. Still lookin'...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I still get a box of chunks sent to me by a friend back home.
                    I haven't found any locally down here.
                    Jim

Comment

One nice thing about living where I live is the majority of hardwood is going to be Apple, and Cherry. Love them both for pork. I still go buy mesquite and hickory chunks for beef. However another we can get in Oregon is grape vine which is fantastico with fish.

Comment

used a lotta different woods over the years
                        heavy on the apple,,, its great!!! (apple smoked turkey is outstanding)
                        then I got hooked on cherry...
                        ~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
                        ~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Comment

I have said it many times..apple is the universal smoking wood. Cannot go wrong.
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I got 2 pickup loads of sugar maple and 2 pickup loads of bartlet pear last fall. Never used either one before so I hope they work good.

I'd love to have a nice apple score like that. That much apple would last me a looong time.
                            Bored Guy Blog

Comment

Ok. Fruit woods need a bit of time to dry out so you may benefit by cutting it down to chunks, sort of. In my stick burner it doesn't matter so much but might make a difference in your smoker. Go back to the tradition of thin blue smoke. Too hot a fire and the sugars will just burn away. A light smoke should impart a sweetness to the smoky aroma outside of your smoker. If a mesquite smell is on the bitter end then Apple and such will be the other. Like others have said earlier, it lends itself well to lighter meats. Not that it wouldn't work on a heavy beef cut, but you lose that sweet aroma to a heartier cut of animal. If you have a chance, try mix of apple and pecan at a 2/1 ratio. That little touch of pecan will put the aroma over the top.

Cedar planked fish with an apple smoke is damn awesome. Keep it light and live it!

Congrats on your haul!
                              sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Working...
                              X