Good Low Budget Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Low Budget Smoker

Hey everyone, first off I should say that this site is freaking amazing, I used to come here and just look at all the pictures people would post of their smoked meats but now I have gotten into smoking my own BBQ meat and it is great to be able to come and read all the material on here.

My brother has recently expressed interest in smoking some of the game he gets this fall and I was thinking that if I help out and get him a low budget smoker (he has expressed wanting a charcoal grill ) then maybe he will feel so inclined to share some meat with me when done. I was looking to spend about $100-200 dollars max on this, and Char-Broil seemed to be a good choice for that. I have their Silver Offset Smoker, and was looking for anyone that had used their Vertical Smokers before. Any advice you can offer would be much appreciated :D

Thanks to everyone for there amazing advice, I have now changed my mind about CB and have found a good intro Weber smoker that someone was upgrading from and selling on http://www.used.forsale/weber-smoker. Going to be loading it up and bringing it to my brothers house next week, I sure hope he likes it! Thanks again everyone!
    Last edited by SmokeyTheSmoker; 08-05-2017, 06:15 AM.

Welcome from Florida!!!
    My experience with CB charcoal upright - PIA to keep temps, leak a lot, thin metal - rust. The only affordable upright that works well is Weber Smokey Mountain, that I know of YMMV. There are some other great uprights for more $$$.$$. That offset is a good choice, JMHO.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I will second the Weber, I have the small one I got on clearance and love it.

I would check CL for a used 18 inch WSM.

A Weber Kettle is also a good start using low indirect heat they work great.

Those are out of the box solutions, Most the imports will need work to make them stable with charcoal.

Comment

from DelaWhere!

I've got two 18.5" WSMs that I bought used and love them! That's the route I'd take...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Since he already expressed interest in a charcoal grill, I would look for a used Weber 22.5" Kettle. Then order a Vortex for it.
          There are many guys on here that use a kettle for smoking.

That might kill two birds with one stone.
          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
            Since he already expressed interest in a charcoal grill, I would look for a used Weber 22.5" Kettle. Then order a Vortex for it.

X2
            sigpic

Comment

Bear
              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

X4...
                An all purpose cooker and it's in the price range
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

I'll 5th the weber kettle. In his price range, and a nice multi-function unit.

Another option would be to scour craigslist. I scored a barely used bandera style smoker for under $200 a handful of years ago. It's an upright offset and works great. Looks just like this one at lowe's, but mines not Okie Joe brand.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oklahoma-Jo...ker/1000086127
                  Mike
                  Life In Pit Row

Comment

I'll do the X6 on the kettle, most versatile cooker I have!
                    Mark
                    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I totally agree with the functionality of the kettle. Butt, if you want an upright smoker, the WSM is it.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                        I totally agree with the functionality of the kettle. Butt, if you want an upright smoker, the WSM is it.
                        Bingo.

from New Jersey.
                        Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                        My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                        @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

I'm a watt burner by law, I live in an apartment. $200.00 and cranking out some fine products. Just might stay this way.

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                            Butt...With a $200 max the only WSM you can get is the little 'ol 14.5 incher...Mine works great but you're so limited as to what you can put on it...For another $100 the 18.5 inch WSM would be an ideal choice...

So within the $200 range I think the kettle is still the best option...
                            Craig
                            sigpic

Comment

I am in the Kettle group as well. I have a MES but recently bought two Weber's and have just been amazed at what I have been able to accomplish with them. I have added a StoK grate, BBQ Dragon shelve and most importantly, a vortex.
                              sigpic

USAF 1982-2008 Desert Storm Vet
                              American Legion Riders
                              Patriot Guard Riders

Comment

Working...
                              X