Canadian Bacon cure question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
    First off---You aren't wrong to say anything.

I would agree that if it's the only piece in the bag, being against the side of the bag a long time could cause the bright pink, as if it was against another piece.

As for the sugar, I have used between 1 tsp and 1 TBS, and never saw a difference in color, but I never tried 2 TBS per pound, so you could be right on that too.

However I can show you those same colors in various cured meats of mine, and like I said, if it doesn't smell bad I'd go with it. Air getting to it can make varying colors on the surfaces. The way to tell if it's cured all the way is to cut it open & see if it's Pink all the way to center. It can't be cured in the center without the surface being cured. When mine are done, the inside is usually the only part that is Pink (Cured). Being pink is Not a sign of not being cured.

Bear

Not sure where I got the 2 TBS per pound on the brown sugar, brain fart on my end. Guess I will be the test dummy.
    When I cure salmon, I will vac seal the bags. Is there any benefit to vac sealing CB instead of using ziplock? Heck, bag bags may actually be cheaper.
    I saw one another post where the ingredients were measured in grams to make it more scalable. That was in regards to rubs but would there be any benefit when using TQ? I have a digital scale so changing between units is as easy as pressing a button.
    I appreciate everybody chiming in, knowledge is king

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes..by weight is ALWAYS preferred. Somewhere I, and perhaps others..have weighed out X samples of TQ and averaged readings... Hmm 12g pops into my mind..but go ahead..weigh out 10 and average. 6.25g for Cure #1 I believe is correct. If using cure 1 tho..you MUST mix with other ingredients first. TQ not required..but why make the job difficult? Mix it all up and distribute amount evenly.

Nothing wrong with that meat sir..Enjoy!
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by strength_and_power View Post
        Not sure where I got the 2 TBS per pound on the brown sugar, brain fart on my end. Guess I will be the test dummy.
        When I cure salmon, I will vac seal the bags. Is there any benefit to vac sealing CB instead of using ziplock? Heck, bag bags may actually be cheaper.
        I saw one another post where the ingredients were measured in grams to make it more scalable. That was in regards to rubs but would there be any benefit when using TQ? I have a digital scale so changing between units is as easy as pressing a button.
        I appreciate everybody chiming in, knowledge is king

I explained why I apply the TQ alone---To make sure I get the whole piece covered & not have Sugar on one end & TQ on the other. (You wouldn't know it, because on a wet piece of meat Sugar looks the same as TQ) Seems hard for some to understand--Seems simple to me!!!

I'll tell you what happened:
        As TQ moves into the meat, it turns it to a Pink/Red color. As it continues to move to the center, the outside loses it's Pink color as the center gets red. If the outside is against another piece of meat, or laying against the bottom or a side, those things will keep the air from getting to it, so it doesn't lose it's Pink/Red in those places. Being against something didn't keep your meat from curing---It just kept it from losing it's bright Pink color in that area, after curing.
        None of the outside parts of my Cured meats are Pink when I'm done---Only the inside is Pink/Red.

If you had meat in that bag without curing it, it wouldn't have turned Pink/Red.

So like I said, since you used the right amount of cure for 11 days, there is nothing wrong with it. The only way it would be a problem is if you cut it in half & the interior was brown, instead of Pink/Red.

BTW: I have a Digital scale, but I don't always use it when using TQ. However it's actually easier to do partial ounces with a scale than to do partial TBS with a spoon.

Also: In answer to your other question---Vac Sealing won't hurt anything, but I never did because it's not needed---Zips are Fine & work Great.

Bear
        Last edited by Bearcarver; 07-31-2017, 08:53 AM.
        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          Yes..by weight is ALWAYS preferred. Somewhere I, and perhaps others..have weighed out X samples of TQ and averaged readings... Hmm 12g pops into my mind..but go ahead..weigh out 10 and average. 6.25g for Cure #1 I believe is correct. If using cure 1 tho..you MUST mix with other ingredients first. TQ not required..but why make the job difficult? Mix it all up and distribute amount evenly.

Nothing wrong with that meat sir..Enjoy!
          x2 and with Bear.....nothing wrong just different ways to hit a ball out of the park.

I do weigh things out, more for constancy from batch to batch than anything. I do vac pak if possible. But it is just another tool. Not really needed but it works good. I do believe speeds up the cure time but do not have any facts to back it up so it is IMHO.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I smoked the loins on Sunday and sliced Tuesday. Of course I had to sample and eat some since then. I'm still alive and haven't been spending any more time on the throne so everything seems to have worked out as it should.

Comment

Looks good Glad it all worked out
              Jim

Comment

Looks like you nailed it!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Perfectly cured. You would have seen a greyish spot near the center if anything..denoting too short a cure time.

Bravo and for the nice work!
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                  X