Posted On: 08-23-2017
Replies: 14
Views: 185
0 Marinated chicken
Last Post: SMOKE FREAK
Replies: 6
Views: 108
0 Finally—-Eye Round in the SV (Fork Tender!!)
Last Post: SMOKE FREAK
Replies: 16
Views: 213
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,307 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 42,464 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 636,525 Polls 35
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 06-07-2017, 03:14 PM
Rub Mixer

Uncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To All
Uncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombini View Post
Nothing like a post full of bologna...thanks for the recipe. I have a new cooler set up to try finishing off my sausage in the SV but haven't done it yet.
z
Thanks for the points Zombini - I'm looking now for an SV setup. I'm leaning towards the Anova and getting a cooler. Is that what you have going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Looks great! Going on the list! Last year's recipe was a swing and a miss. This looks good.
Thanks Ryan - I'll certainly tweak this a bit depending on the reviews I get back from taste tests!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbellc View Post

That's an undertaking right there!
Thank you for the points Shell!

~ Frank Sinatra.

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 06-07-2017, 03:18 PM
Rub Mixer

Uncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To All
Uncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
That sounds like something I should do.

Is this done with all pork or beef? Both perhaps?
On this I used a 70% beef w/ 30% pork mix (I buy a lot of pork & beef at one time and grind it, then mix it and refreeze so when I want to make sausage I just pull out a bag and thaw - so I already had that ratio on hand). I see varied mixes but they tend to go more lean beef than mine here it seems.

I appreciate the points Smokin - thank ya!

~ Frank Sinatra.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:53 PM
Pit Master

SmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To All
SmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sauce View Post
On this I used a 70% beef w/ 30% pork mix (I buy a lot of pork & beef at one time and grind it, then mix it and refreeze so when I want to make sausage I just pull out a bag and thaw - so I already had that ratio on hand)
I do the same thing. I buy the 10# rolls of ground beef at RD, along with the twin pack of butts at RD or Costco.

I am SO on this, can't wait to try it.

Great post Sir.

@SmokinJim52 on Twitter
Old 06-08-2017, 05:03 AM
Pit Master

zombini Is  A Name Known To All
zombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To All

Yes, im using the larger of the coleman stackables with the corner cut out of the lid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Genesis Silver
Smokin Tex
MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
Maverick ET 732
Brown and lime green ThermaPens
2 orange ThermoPops
A-Maze-N Tube 18"
A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
Vortex
Old 06-08-2017, 06:46 AM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All
curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All

3 tsp cardamon ?
Interesting, weird but interesting.

Chubs look fantastic

have some giant sausage

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head
Old 06-08-2017, 12:04 PM
Rub Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombini View Post
Yes, im using the larger of the coleman stackables with the corner cut out of the lid.
Thanks Zombini - I'm trying to figure which one I'll get...

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
3 tsp cardamon ?
Interesting, weird but interesting.

Chubs look fantastic

have some giant sausage
Thanks CA - Yeah, I'm not sure who added the cardamon in the recipe over the years! I appreciate the points!

~ Frank Sinatra.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:07 PM
Keepin' on Smokin'

Bassman Is  A Name Known To All
Bassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To All

That's some great looking bologna! Have to give you some bologna points. For those of you contemplating using a sous vide to bring your cold cuts to temp, that would work great. I use an old Nesco roaster that I found in a yard sale for $3.00. Similar to sous vide except it doesn't circulate the water. I just roll the chubs around once in awhile. This is 10# of mortadella and room for more.

Smoke Vault 24

Last edited by Bassman; 08-18-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:39 PM
Rub Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
That's some great looking bologna! Have to give you some bologna points. For those of you contemplating using a sous vide to bring your cold cuts to temp, that would work great. I use an old Nesco roaster that I found in a yard sale for $3.00. Similar to sous vide except it doesn't circulate the water. I just roll the chubs around once in awhile. This is 10# of mortadella and room for more.

Thanks Bassman! Looks like that Nesco works well!

~ Frank Sinatra.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:59 PM
Rub Mixer

Courser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To All
Courser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sauce View Post
Thanks for the points Smokin! Ingredients below:

2 tsp. cure
4 TBSP salt
3 TBSP paprika
2-1/2 TBSP onion powder
2-1/2 TBSP garlic powder
3 tsp. white pepper
3 tsp. cardamon
3 tsp. yellow mustard
2 tsp. mace
1-1/2 TBSP corn syrup solids
5 TBSP dextrose
2 C. NFDM

Thanks for the points Mark - Yeah, these 4" casings were a bear! I think the SV may be the ticket. I put the recipe above for ya!

Rich - Yeah, I really need to try an SV for finishing sausage chubs off. I know I've been contemplating for awhile now...need to get off my arse and do something about it
I was thinking about trying this recipe today until I realized I have no corn syrup solids or dextrose in the house. Does anyone have suggestions for a suitable substitute? Are those available at a decent grocery store?

16" Original Oklahoma Joe offset
GMG Daniel Boone
Husker Red UDS V.2014
22" Black Weber Kettle V.1988
British Racing Green Thermapen w/Glow-in-the-dark silicone boot!
Old 08-12-2017, 01:55 PM
Meat Mopper

Fishbum Is  A Name Known To All
Fishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courser View Post
I was thinking about trying this recipe today until I realized I have no corn syrup solids or dextrose in the house. Does anyone have suggestions for a suitable substitute? Are those available at a decent grocery store?

Dextrose is also known as dextrose monohydrate or glucose powder.
The most common source is called brewing sugar and is easily and cheaply
available from your local home brew shop. I think corn syrup solids is corn syrup with 97% of water removed and in powder form.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2017, 03:03 PM
Rub Mixer

Courser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To All
Courser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbum View Post
Dextrose is also known as dextrose monohydrate or glucose powder.
The most common source is called brewing sugar and is easily and cheaply
available from your local home brew shop. I think corn syrup solids is corn syrup with 97% of water removed and in powder form.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks! I can get dextrose then. I always called it corn sugar when I was brewing (25 years ago). The corns syrup solids may have to be just plain old corn syrup then. Thanks for you help!

16" Original Oklahoma Joe offset
GMG Daniel Boone
Husker Red UDS V.2014
22" Black Weber Kettle V.1988
British Racing Green Thermapen w/Glow-in-the-dark silicone boot!
Old 08-12-2017, 03:32 PM
Rub Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courser View Post
Thanks! I can get dextrose then. I always called it corn sugar when I was brewing (25 years ago). The corns syrup solids may have to be just plain old corn syrup then. Thanks for you help!
Courser - I have never substituted either but it sounds like you got the right idea from Fishbum - I would guess if your using the syrup you would use a bit less maybe 5%-10% ? just because the weight variance. You might try lower and do a test fry patty then add to it if needed / adjusted to your taste.

~ Frank Sinatra.

Last edited by Uncle Sauce; 08-13-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:31 AM
Pit Master

nickelmore Is  A Name Known To All
nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All

I think I picked up some corn syrup solids at butcher packer. It use to be grainy like turbo sugar. Now it is just one big brick.....

Bologna is on the project list good looking stuff!
Old 08-13-2017, 09:45 AM
Rub Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelmore View Post
I think I picked up some corn syrup solids at butcher packer. It use to be grainy like turbo sugar. Now it is just one big brick.....

Bologna is on the project list good looking stuff!
I had the same thing happen to me - it got too hot and melted down to a solid chunk!

~ Frank Sinatra.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:54 PM
Pit Masters Assistant

Location: Lewiston, ID. Can see three states from office window.
driedstick Is  A Name Known To Alldriedstick Is  A Name Known To Alldriedstick Is  A Name Known To Alldriedstick Is  A Name Known To All
driedstick Is  A Name Known To Alldriedstick Is  A Name Known To All

Dang it man that looks good,,,, may have to come up and visit if you have any left LOL

A full smoker is a happy smoker,,,,, is your smoker happy

DS
Therma Pen
Maverick 732
Mini Therma Pen
Frog Mats
Weber Junior
AMPS & AMPTS
Old 08-18-2017, 04:17 PM
Rub Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by driedstick View Post
Dang it man that looks good,,,, may have to come up and visit if you have any left LOL

A full smoker is a happy smoker,,,,, is your smoker happy

DS
c'mon up driedstick...I was just rummaging in the chest freezer and I saw a few short chubs left

~ Frank Sinatra.

Old 08-21-2017, 01:12 PM
Tailgater

HornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To All
HornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To All

My grandparents sold bologna by the slice in they're gas station grocery store back in the 1960s. Fast food back then was a loaf of bread, a jar of mayo and some sliced bologna!!!
Old 08-21-2017, 02:47 PM
Rub Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedToad View Post
My grandparents sold bologna by the slice in they're gas station grocery store back in the 1960s. Fast food back then was a loaf of bread, a jar of mayo and some sliced bologna!!!
thanks Toad! I remember my Dad telling me of stopping by the general store back in the day and getting some sliced bologna for snacking!

~ Frank Sinatra.

Old 08-21-2017, 02:54 PM
Fire Starter

Spivitz Is Just Starting Out

That looks delicious!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Sausage