Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jerky Shootout - Hi Mountain vs Mad Hunky.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThunderDome View Post
    Can you tell me more about your "with the grain" slicing preference?

I won't answer for Dana, but that's the only way I do it also.

Re-Loaded......
    sigpic

Comment

Neat post and neat idea. The cut on that seems interesting too, just one more thing I gotta try!

Thanks for the real world test and sharing it here.

Comment

Nice write up! Some good info and feedback!
        ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

WOW Great looking stuff, what the ratio to wine to powder?

Comment

Originally posted by smoken cheesehead View Post
            WOW Great looking stuff, what the ratio to wine to powder?
            I recommend about 1 cup liquid per 5 lbs meat... either half water/wine/ or all wine if you dig the flavor...it's unique!
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Nice work Dana. Very thorough. Makes me want to try Rich's product. I also want to try his Whang rub! for you!
              Don

Humphrey's Pint
              Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
              Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
              Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
              Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
              Anova One Sous Vide
              AMPS
              Purple Thermapen
              Maverick ET-733
              DigIQ DX2
              Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                Excellent Thread Dana
                Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                Weber Smokey Joe
                Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                Pink Thermapen
                Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by tadowdaddy View Post
                  Nice work Dana. Very thorough. Makes me want to try Rich's product. I also want to try his Whang rub! for you!
                  Hmmmm.. Gonna rub yer whang, huh? Like chokin yer chicken...
                  Don..

2 of me best buds ever! R.I.P guys

Comment

Originally posted by merrell View Post
                    Hmmmm.. Gonna rub yer whang, huh? Like chokin yer chicken...
                    More like whackin' your wings, actually ;{)
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Wow Dana, what a great post!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderDome View Post
                        Wow. Cool post! The jerky looks great. Can you tell me more about your "with the grain" slicing preference?
                        Not answering for Dana, but in my experience, if you cut with the grain it is more chewy, if you cut across the grain it is much less chewy. Across the grain will break apart if not thick enough.

Excellent post Dana!
                        Mark
                        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

HELLOFVA Review, Dana!!

As stated above, we expect nothing less from you! I'm giving you points for all of that.

Love your intern's parting comments...

Guess I need to give the MH jerky another run. Didn't have the best results on my first batch, but I know you've made this multiple times.

Questions: How long do you brine yours, Dana? And how much wine do you use per poundage of meat? Lastly, do you rinse before you smoke?

Thanks!
                          Tracey

Just asking cuz the Rich instructions are kinda... well... a little vague!

Comment

Originally posted by WALLE View Post
                            Questions: How long do you brine yours, Dana? And how much wine do you use per poundage of meat? Lastly, do you rinse before you smoke?

Thanks!
                            Tracey

Thanks Tracey...I been letting it sit in the fridge for what works out to be 36 hours...mix it up on friday night and smoke / dry on Sunday. As for directions, I use 1 cup of wine (use something with some big legs to it...I think this alone has upped my jerky game). Dissolve the Jerky cure / seasoning and then coat each piece separately to ensure even distribution of the slurry. Don't rinse...just hang that stuff and add a little bit of smoke and dry it.

The universal theme I got from the data is that everyone wanted more spice. Next batch I'm hitting with more CBP and at least a 1/2 tsp of Smitty's...

Oh, and Caitlin our Intern is just adorable...everyone around there thinks of her as our own kid. Now that I'm officially an old fart, I love listening to her college stories. Her dad works there, and to his chagrin we all tell her to stay in school forever. I tell her that a JD/MD/MBA/CPA/ME degree is what would be best...Her father just puts his head in his hands and acts like he wants to cry!
                            Last edited by BBQ Engineer; 12-03-2011, 10:55 AM.
                            BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                            Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                            I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                              Thanks Tracey...I been brining for what works out to be 36 hours...mix it up on friday night and smoke / dry on Sunday. As for directions, I use 1 cup of wine (use something with some big legs to it...I think this alone has upped my jerky game). Dissolve the Jerky cure / seasoning and then coat each piece separately to ensure even distribution of the slurry. Don't rinse...just hang that stuff and add a little bit of smoke and dry it.

The universal theme I got from the data is that everyone wanted more spice. Next batch I'm hitting with more CBP and at least a 1/2 tsp of Smitty's...
                              Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by WALLE View Post

Hehe...well, I WANT you to experiment... all the basic data and saftey info is there...

And yes, use straight solid red wine if you like red wine..or go half water the first time if yer not sure...

It adds a depth to the flavor I love.

Comment

Working...
                                X