Boston baked Pork and Beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston baked Pork and Beans

I was cruising around a cast iron Facebook group this afternoon and saw this recipe, this will happen before winter is over!! Now in the smoker I have done the shoulder and then put a pan of baked beans underneath, but I never thought of doing them actually together! Only thing I would worry about here would be not having enough liquid in the beans, I had beans go dry in me before when I thought I had plenty liquid in them. I also would cook the bacon first I think. Not sure about that one. Have a look-see!

https://youtu.be/g7_Ib1XLO9U

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mustang electric smoker
    King Kooker vertical gasser
    Charbroil silver smoker
    Earnhardt Jr smoker
    Brinkman smoke n' grill
    a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Great video, I like the plan. And I am like you i'd at least par cook the bacon. If not I am afraid the dish would have to much grease for my tatste. He doesn't edit out his grunts when he hoists the pot which makes it sound weird.
    Last edited by gmotoman; 03-04-2017, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gmotoman View Post
      Great video, I like the plan. And I am like you i'd at least par cook the bacon. If not I am afraid the dish would have to much grease for my tatste. He doesn't edit out his grunts when he hoists the pot which makes it sound weird.

I heard that too and laughed!!

Mustang electric smoker
      Charbroil silver smoker
      Earnhardt Jr smoker
      Brinkman smoke n' grill

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

Pretty good idea. I sure like his counter top. I would worry about them drying out, too. Let us know when you do it and how it turns out!
        Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
        Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
        1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
        Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
        Weber Smokey Joe
        Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
        Pink Thermapen
        Purple Thermapen

Comment

I'm going to try that this weekend. I think I'm going to smoke the pork shoulder for a couple of hours first and cut down the oven time. What do you guys think of that idea? I am definitely going to cook the bacon part way also.

Comment

Originally posted by Lomey View Post
            I'm going to try that this weekend. I think I'm going to smoke the pork shoulder for a couple of hours first and cut down the oven time. What do you guys think of that idea? I am definitely going to cook the bacon part way also.
            That sounds good. It will render some of the fat, and you'll also get some smoke taste in that bad-boy. I know I am trying it soon myself, just on a smaller scale.

Comment

Originally posted by gmotoman View Post
              That sounds good. It will render some of the fat, and you'll also get some smoke taste in that bad-boy. I know I am trying it soon myself, just on a smaller scale.
              Yeah, I'm only doing a 5.5 lbs pork butt.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Comment

Let us know how you make out!!

Mustang electric smoker
                Charbroil silver smoker
                Earnhardt Jr smoker
                Brinkman smoke n' grill

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

I have everything prepped and in the fridge. I'm using a 5.5 lbs pork butt so I halved the recipe. It is way too sweet and the molasses was overpowering so I added about a Tbls each of spicy brown mustard, habanero bbq sauce and more vinegar. It seemed to help. Btw, I used apple cider vinegar.

We have an 80% chance of snow showers tomorrow so I don't know if I'll get to fire up the smoker. I'll update tomorrow!

Comment

I like the concept of it all. I also kinda think the bacon should be cooked before entering the pot. Butt, to each their own. I'd hit it.

And I too love the counter top!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Woke up to snow so decided not to fire up the smoker for just a couple of hours like I wanted to. I'm using my homemade cold smoked bacon so I hope it adds a little smoky flavor. Things I did different than recipe today. Cooked the bacon and drained the grease and added 2 cloves of minced garlic.

Seared 5.5 lbs pork butt

The mixture of sauce, cooked bacon, onions and minced garlic.

Added beans, chicken stock and pork to the mixture.

See you in 6 hours!

Comment

Looks good! Keep us posted!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Pulled it out at 6 hrs thinking it would be ready since it's a smaller pork butt...nope, not ready. I'm putting it back in for 4 more hours for the full 10 like the video said.

Comment

Turned up the heat to 350 the last hour to help thicken it up. It helped. So those worried about it drying out, I wouldn't. My wife loved it, I thought it was very good. I think smoking the pork butt for a couple of hours first would have made it better. I also think it needs a little more salt and I don't like a lot of salt.

I would like to hear about others if they try it.

Comment

Looks great! I would love to try it but my other half isn't that big on beans. I may have to do it for a work pot luck sometime.
                              Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                              Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                              1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                              Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                              Weber Smokey Joe
                              Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                              Pink Thermapen
                              Purple Thermapen

Comment

Working...
                              X