Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Beef Brisket Flat...how long at 200 degrees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Beef Brisket Flat...how long at 200 degrees?

Hi Everyone!

Glad to be back in the saddle again! :)

I had a really bad knee injury to the knee that already has a total knee replacement in so I have been on a slow road to recovery. Looks like the TKR that was done 8 years ago is fine but I tore the remaining ligaments and due to all the multiple surgeries prior I will need another knee replacement....I am holding off awaiting a new brace and second opinion.

But enough of that!

My wife picked up a massive 22lb beef brisket at the commissary last week and seeing that it was just her and I, the flat was prepped and is on the Yoder as we speak!

I was following BearCarver's recipe from his e-book and I was wondering how long I should keep the brisket at 200 degrees. I wrapped the brisket around 159 deg and it passed through the stall marvelously!

It has been at 200 degrees for about 30 min or so and I was wondering if leaving it on for any length of time would do any damage or would it simply help soften up some of the connective tissue a bit more?

Dinner won't be ready (eating time) for another 2 hours so I have the oven prewarmed at 180 degrees to keep the wrapped brisket in til then.

Thanks a TON!!!

Mike :)

PS....the flat was separated from the large end because I want to try that separately next weekend. The flat has been on the smoker for about 8 hours now.
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis Gasser
    Ugly Black Box (Great Outdoors Smokey Mt)

I'd pull it off smoker, double wrap in foil and towels and into an empty cooler. I always like to wrap mine for 2 to 4 hours minimum before slicing and it will stay plenty hot.
    Yoder YS480
    Maverick 732
    Tappecue
    Thermapen

Comment

I would say ZERO seconds after hitting 195-200...then follow Mikey's instructions. Cooler that baby and hold it as hot and long as you can. I think you could drag a brisky behind your truck as long as you hit the proper temps and let it rest....

THAT should start some conversation!

Comment

Thanks Mikey!!! Ill be pulling it off in a minute or so!!!

Yoder YS640
        Weber Genesis Gasser

Comment

Thanks WALLE!!!!
          Yoder YS640
          Weber Genesis Gasser

Comment

that thing'll hold hot for 5 hours at least.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks Folks!!! It has been an hour but will wait another 30 min as Dinner time is at 6:00 PM. Grilling up some asparagus and some corn to finish off the meal!

I'll let you all know how it turns out...I had a great bark on it when I foiled it. I just hope it doesn't become mushy...LOL!
              Yoder YS640
              Weber Genesis Gasser

Comment

Should have pulled that about 1.5 hours ago but no fear. May not slice perfectly but eat tasty just the same. Chopped brisket is just as good as sliced. I bet it turns out awesome.
                sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Soft bark on a sliced brisket is no problem...Gonna be some good eating...
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

Dinner is done and I just saw the Walking Dead episode so I am really pissed!!!!

No spoilers though!

Brisket was VERY tasty but it was a bit dry. Not tough....just dry. Good thing I saved all the juices though!! We made sliced sandwiches and my wife loved the taste as did I.

NEXT round I will take it off sooner as suggested though.

The remainder of the brisket was mixed with the juices and a bit of homemade BBQ sauce and I made chopped brisket (which is actually my favorite way to eat it). Had a second helping of chopped on bread and it was really AWESOME!

The moral of the story is I will take it off around 190 to 195. I think that would have been the ticket!

My next round will be to do the HUGE end that I did not cook....next weekend!!!!

Thanks for all the help and encouragement!!!

Yoder YS640
                    Weber Genesis Gasser

Comment

Nice job! Another thing you may want to try, is if you are foiling it and resting it, is to let some of the steam/moisture escape by cracking the foil open a bit, which should help firm up the bark a bit also. I usually do this, at the recomendation of a former member here, and it seems to work. Never tested this side by side though
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks Fishawn....I will give that a shot next weekend!
                        Yoder YS640
                        Weber Genesis Gasser

Comment

Working...
                        X