Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need deer processing advice - by christmas eve !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
    CA,
    Since it's a "Roe", save the eggs!!

Bear
    lol - like that

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
    Cleaned up some bad spelling on my original reply. If I had the time and a passport I would just jump on a plane and show ya in person.

No sure how big a 'roe" doe is in "pounds" but if it is big enough I trim out the flanks and ribs for sausage. I am pretty anal about trimming all fat and silver skin from the meat for sausage so on smaller donors it gets ground up for animal treats.

Like Ryan said I like hanging from neck unless its a wall mounter.
    its a lot easier to quarter and what is left is hanging on a rope for easy disposal.

I have changed the way I process deer over the years. The way I do it now, the only bones that are cut is when the feet are removed.

To Add my thougts:

Grind the front shouldes and neck and everything in that area.

The rear quarters....seperate each muscle group (practice on the first one and make stew pieces) on the second one you can make some smaller steaks (or butterfly) and
    lol - you guys crack me up sometimes. Over here a deer is RARE and I mean rocking horse shit rare ! Last year we got a muntjac, this is the first chance for something bigger in about 3 years. So NO I won't be grinding the shoulders, I'll bone them out and use for roasts. Trust me, there'll be no waste :-) Hell I even cooked the muntjac ribs - not much meat, but tasty :-)
    Should be enough trim for sausage.

many thanks for all the info, particularly nicklemore - feeling a bit more confident now lol.
    And it looks like it might have just stopped raining - although I think weather forecast is storms over the weekend.
    Right deer not here yet, so I have to climb up a ladder and change the old, poorly, security light for the new one :-)

Snackstix done overnight, salmon got 13 hours of smoke yesterday and is fabulous. I've been pressing the gravad lax beneath the turkey - sneaky eh :-)
    Not wrapped a single present yet - but we'll eat well
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

well, that went well. Pictures when i've got my camera with me.

My dad and I just laid it on a table in the garden and skinned and jointed it. Took an hour, Not bad for a first time :-)

'course it's taken me another couple of hours to clean, trim and pack.
      So I'm now 3 hurs behind lol

Pretty small deer I ended up with 20lbs in the freezer.

The fillets were 1.25 lb each. Now that works out at 545 gms.
      Wild scottish venison (what this was) fillet sells for (wait for it) £34 a kilo or around £15.50 lb ($23)
      So that's nearly £40 in the fillets alone.

the haunch is a wee bit cheaper at £8 lb
      So that's £64 for the haunches.

At £20 and a few hours work - I think we did good :-)

Pics most likely after christmas as I'm now going to attempt to catch up on three hours :-)

The haunches were around 4.5 lb
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Did I mention this 'deer' was delivered by a large bloke in a red jacket and a red and white balaclava bobble hat, who went away muttering: 'that's the last time he pisses on my seat !'

So if santa's sliegh seems a bit light in the reindeer department this year - it wasn't us, we weren't there, we didn't see nuthin' and neither did youse, kapice !

Definitely NOT Rudolph
        Attached Files
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
          it wasn't us, we weren't there, we didn't see nuthin' and neither did youse, kapice !

Definitely NOT Rudolph
          “capisce” LOL... not a word. He’s not quite sleeping with the fishes...but...
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
            Did I mention this 'deer' was delivered by a large bloke in a red jacket and a red and white balaclava bobble hat, who went away muttering: 'that's the last time he pisses on my seat !'

So if santa's sliegh seems a bit light in the reindeer department this year - it wasn't us, we weren't there, we didn't see nuthin' and neither did youse, kapice !

I heard he had trouble steering the sleigh----Kept pulling to the Right!!

Bear
            Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Working...
            X