Cleaning Regimen Round 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Regimen Round 1

Help me team. Need to clean my MB 40 upright gas smoker. Starting to see smoke layers detach from the interior and threaten to pollute my future projects. Am I okay to use conventional oven cleaner or shall I just scrape/brush what I can? Seems like inactivity, humidity have made the "wallpaper" start to peel. Please share the wealth. Thanks.
    GMG Bowie pellet pooper
    Masterbuilt upright gas smoker
    Weber Elite gasser
    Various Thermoworks devices-Love them!

I get that in/on my kettles...... I scrape/brush off as much as I can..... If you use oven cleaner, I would wash it out with water really good. Scrape/brush real good should do it IMO
    sigpic

Comment

Yup, I'm with Scott... scrape and brush. Personally, I don't like using chemicals.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Same here, scrape the loose stuff off and leave the rest
        Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Fire it up & get it fairly hot & turn it off & spray some water in it & close the door for a bout 5 minutes & check it with a scraper. If any dry or stubborn spots just spray 'em & wait. I use greased lightning in my MES and after scraping it I hose it out & all is great.
          MES 30"
          A-Maze-N pellet smoker
          Weber 22" kettle
          E-Z-Que rotisserie
          Weber Smokey Joe
          Big Weber Gasser
          Cracker Smoker
          UDS

Comment

I usually just scrape mine down with a bbq cleaner brush, then sweep it out of the bottom. If it's really nasty in the bottom I'll sometimes hit the whole thing with some simple green and scrub it, then rinse it out good and follow up with some heat and spray everything down with some oil.
            Mike
            Life In Pit Row

Comment

I have a plastic paint scraper I picked up for $1 at Home Depot. When my smokers start to get to the flaky stage, I just knock it off. No need to get it back to the pre-seasoned shiny and new stage. Just knock off the loose stuff every couple of months (or sooner depending on usage).
              Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

me lid on the weber gets hit with the pressure washer...the dang MES...can't keep it as nice as Bearcarvers... dern uds...get it hotter than a blowed coal...
                Sunset Eagle Aviation
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

To clean my grill after a really greasy smoke, I hook the garden hose up to the hot water heater drain and spray it down in the yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

OK I guess I'm alone.

About once a year mine gets a bath, Its all stainless and re racks all remove so it is pretty easy.

For some reason mine captures moisture sometime and I get mold spots.

I use zep oven cleaner and a scraper followed my a hose bath. Then soap and water and a good rinse.

Just me

Comment

wow - I occasionally scrape the thick crud on the lid.
                      But it's a bbq it's supposed to be covered in crap. The entire thing gets heat sterilised every time you use it.

So a quick brush to get rid of any loose flakes is all I've ever done.
                      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I tried pressure washing one of my kettles ONCE. Never again. That shit went everywhere, including all over me! Scrape and brush. Done.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Mr. Clean I am!

Thanks everyone for the information. Think I'll put the grates to soakin' and attack with my scraper first. If it looks like it needs a good peel the sauna/ cleaner route may be the road I take. I can relate to the kettle pressure wash, I routinely wash out class 8 truck brake drums and......even Houdini couldn't escape the mess. It'll get you coming or going! Thanks again.
                          GMG Bowie pellet pooper
                          Masterbuilt upright gas smoker
                          Weber Elite gasser
                          Various Thermoworks devices-Love them!

Comment

Working...
                          X