Fire Died Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DDave View Post

KBB is okay for grilling when it is fully lit before the food goes on but in a UDS
    Perhaps over-stated ...but a nugget (brickette?) of truth. Your food WILL taste better using a lump.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      Perhaps over-stated ...but a nugget (brickette?) of truth. Your food WILL taste better using a lump.
      X2 (or is it 3?)

I only use fully lit bricks, and usually Stubbs just to get the fire goin. I don like KBB at all, just me.
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

X2 (or is it 3?)

I only use fully lit bricks, and usually Stubbs just to get the fire goin. I don like KBB at all, just me. Still smells like lighter fluid to me.
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

If you smelled it you wouldn't say it was overstated.

I read on the Internet (a totally reliable source, I know ) that Kingsford briquettes have different source woods depending on where the manufacturing plant is located. Sawmill scraps are often times used. Out east that's primarily hardwood. Here in the good ol' Pacific Northwest, it's mostly pine and other conifers. That was the explanation of the difference in smell when KBB lights.

I can't speak directly to the smell of the eastern US KBB but others there have reported no issued in a UDS. What I got the last time I tried it which, admittedly was long ago, stunk to high Heaven when it was lighting. I put it in my first UDS just ONCE for a seasoning burn and never again. I don't use it at all for anything. I much prefer Kingsford Comp which I have used in the UDS until I found RO lump.

I think Scott uses a lot of KBB and like I said, it's probably fine after it is fully lit, but good God almighty, it stinks when it is lighting. Or at least it used to.

Since Dcb5739 is in PA maybe there's no issue with KBB. But I'd go with lump any day over briquettes in a UDS.
          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
          -
          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Was your smoker perfectly level?

Comment

after Im done cooking I can snuff out the fire. Then the next cook i shake the hell outta the basket dump the good leftover in a bucket put some fresh lump in the basket and put the left overs on top. Hard to do that with these new generation briqs once they get that hot even if they didnt burn they just crumble
              I use Kingsford Competetion Briquettes, Have not had that issue. I snuff and re-use mine all the time. Costco always seems to have it for a decent price.
              A few of my favorite things:
              Good Whiskey
              Good Food
              Bad Girls
              sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
              Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

I've had best results using Kingsford Professional/Competition. Have tried Lump and other types of briquettes and just seems more difficult to cook with.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X