'Rowdy' Roddy Piper dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper dead

<header id="yui_3_18_1_1_1438437315568_808" class="header"> 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper dead at 61

</header>.<figure class="cover get-lbdata-from-dom go-to-slideshow-lightbox" data-orig-index="0"></figure>Rowdy Roddy Piper.

Wrestling superstar "Rowdy" Roddy Piper has died at age 61. Multiple reports indicate that Piper died in his sleep from a heart attack. "Rod passed peacefully in his sleep last night," Piper's agent Jay Schacter told Variety. “I am shocked and beyond devastated.”

Upon learning of his death, WWE chairman Vince McMahon tweeted that Piper was "one of the most entertaining, controversial and bombastic performers ever in WWE beloved by millions of fans around the world."

Piper, whose real name was Roddy Toombs, is a member of the WWE Hall of Fame, and was one of the core members of the '80s-era WWE (then known as the WWF). Born in Saskatchewan, Canada, Piper competed in the very first Wrestlemania, working a faux-Scottish angle in a tag-team match (along with Mr. Wonderful Paul Orndorff) against Hulk Hogan and Mr. T, and quickly became one of the sport's most hated villains.

Piper's rivalries with Hogan, Jimmy Snuka and even Cyndi Lauper set the tone for the WWF, helping the wrestling organization achieve the nationwide prominence that it enjoys to this day.

Piper's key gimmick was "Piper's Pit," a mock talk show in which Piper would sit down with fellow wrestlers to talk out the issues of the day. Naturally, the talk lasted less than a minute before the fists flew. Here's a representative installment from 1984, where Piper interviewed Sgt. Slaughter:

Just last week, Piper was on the Rich Eisen Show, talking of his life and times as well as his old rival Hulk Hogan:
    Once more, then, Piper's music:

Piper later became an actor, with over 100 credits to his name, according to IMDB, including the 1988 cult classic "They Live."
    Reactions to his death poured in on Twitter:
    RODDY PIPER. I LOVE YOU FOREVER. GOD BLESS YOU BUBBA
    — The Iron Sheik (@the_ironsheik) July 31, 2015
    My main man. Always had my back. RIP #RoddyPiper pic.twitter.com/hlwY8BCVrj
    — Virgil (@TheRealVirgil) July 31, 2015
    One of the true greats of all time. My heart goes out to his family and the fans he entertained over the years. RIP Rowdy.
    — John Cena (@JohnCena) July 31, 2015
    He was a friend and a mentor! HotRod, you will be missed. #RIPRoddyPiper
    — GOLDUST (@Goldust) July 31, 2015
    WOW the battle Royal in Heaven is filling up. RIP Roddy you'll be greatly missed
    — Wade Boggs (@ChickenMan3010) July 31, 2015
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

A Shame at so young!! RIP Roddy.

I never was a Pro Wrestling Fan, but I got a kick out of some his Movies.

Bear
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Man that sport (I use the term loosely) wear a body out

God Bless and prayers to the family
      Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

I read this last night...But I didn't lose any sleep over it...
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X