Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disaster?

Good morning.
    I put a 12.5 pound brisket on last night at about 11:00.

It rained on and off last night, so I had to keep a pretty close eye on the fire, but the temp at the grate never got below 205, and didn't get above 230.
    I wrapped my brisket at 160 about 3 1/2 - 4 hours ago.
    The point is now about 190, but the flat is 170!

Does that mean I have overcooked and dried the flat out, and it won't carry the heat now?

EEK!
    Last edited by brisket envy; 11-01-2015, 09:10 AM.

The last brisket I did stalled @ 170 in the flat. It took a while after that to get to the 195 I was looking for. I would hardly call it a disaster. The weather has sucked the past couple days. I'm just a little south of you in Texas city. I thought it had passed yesterday so I went to get some more wood then the bottom fell out. Flooding everywhere!
    Arron W.

YS 640
    Primo Oval XL
    Lone Star Grillz 30x36 cabinet smoker
    Not so Ugly Drum Smoker
    Weber Copper Top
    Old Smokey
    Orion
    Gasser
    2 Sack Crawfish Boiler by R&V Works
    24" Disco with custom burner
    Red Thermapen
    2-Maverick ET-733
    Orange Thermoworks Smoke

R.I.P my little buddy Zazu. 10/4/2020. We miss you.
    sigpic

Comment

I think you will be okay, pull the point off make burnt ends.. wrap flat in the juices and keep on going!!

If too dry afterwards chop up and make chili!!
      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
      Yoder YS640
      Weber Genesis
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber Performer
      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Nope. Should be fine. Once I split mine, I take the flat to 190 then rest for a while. Point gets chopped up for burnt ends and I continue cooking them until the flat finishes. So, foil the flat. Make the burnt ends. Take the flat out for a rest, continue cooking the BE. All will be well.
        sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

170° on the flat isn't quite tender yet...anymore I don't go by temp (but I know from experience it will be 190° up to north of 200° for tender slices...varies by the brisket).

You can tell it is tender when a probe inserts with little resistance. Slanted 88 used a shrimp deveiner one time, but it works. LINK
          BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
          Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
          I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

It was as y'all said.
            I just held my breath and waited.
            It eventually started to climb, but I was on a tight schedule, so I had to take it off at 180 - 185, after 13 hours.
            It was very moist, and the flat, while not fall-apart was still tender enough to get rave reviews by my fellow congregants.

They called me a liar when I said it should have been better, so I guess I'll have to do one again next month, just to prove it.

Comment

Originally posted by brisket envy View Post
              It was as y'all said.
              It eventually started to climb, but I was on a tight schedule, so I had to take it off at 180 - 185, after 13 hours.
              It was very moist, and the flat, while not fall-apart was still tender enough to get rave reviews by my fellow congregants.

They called me a liar when I said it should have been better, so I guess I'll have to do one again next month, just to prove it.
              Congrats! It only gets better from here... practice makes perfect!

Love the pictures BTW...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                Congrats! It only gets better from here... practice makes perfect!

Love the pictures BTW...

Sounds like yer well on yer way to being a brisket master...
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

If it were not for this forum, I'd still be serving tough, dry brisket.
                  Yall's support and advice have transformed my briskets to the point that what I now consider a mediocre one, is one people are daring me to try to improve on!

Should have taken pics, but once the ladies at church sliced it up, it disappeared before I even thought about it.

Next time!

Comment

Originally posted by brisket envy View Post
                    It was as y'all said.

tight schedules and briskets tend to not mix.
                    Whenever I do a brisket I make sure I have one important ingredient right next to the smoker...
                    1.75 liter of Tito's and Rose's limewater!

Comment

DANG! 1.75 of Tito's! I need to come over and help out!
                      sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Originally posted by jwbtulsa View Post
                        DANG! 1.75 of Tito's! I need to come over and help out!
                        Anytime I'd share my Tito's! LOL

Comment

Working...
                        X