Pork shoulder finished way too fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pork shoulder finished way too fast

Normally the shoulders take 24 hours or so to cook, but this one I started at 1:00 yesterday finished overnight. Now the IT is back down to 145 or so... How do I keep it warm, but still good until the party at 4:00? the smoker is holding steady at 145, should I just leave it in there?

Wrap n foil, put on smoker, add juice if you have it.. keep smoker around 160-175
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus52980 View Post
      Normally the shoulders take 24 hours or so to cook,
      Really ?? that's some slow cookin
      Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
      Weber 22.5" WSM
      Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
      Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
      Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
      Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
      Weber Smokey Joe
      GMG Daniel Boone
      Pit Barrel Cooker
      Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
      6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
      Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
      The Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
        Wrap n foil, put on smoker, add juice if you have it.. keep smoker around 160-175
        Done, but since I had no juice, I used some beef broth. I'm curious how this will turn out....

Comment

I am thinking it will be perfect.

Good luck and good eating
          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

never done something like this. but pork should be 140-158 F to be done and safe (this is how its in sweden) and if u go over this it will be dry, you can try to use some water or something and pour over the pork.

So my tip would be not to overheat it, thats the biggest problem.

(dont know how it works when you smoke)

hope it turns out good :=)

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much //Ronald Reagan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing // Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by mackan110 View Post
              never done something like this. but pork should be 140-158 F to be done and safe (this is how its in sweden) and if u go over this it will be dry, you can try to use some water or something and pour over the pork.

So my tip would be not to overheat it, thats the biggest problem.

(dont know how it works when you smoke)

hope it turns out good :=)
              Fact there, for a loin yes that is very true, if this is a shoulder it will have higher fat content, think pulled pork you take to 200*.. the whole shoulder will have the picnic and boston butt in once piece, which should be fine to set for a while at 165-175* in the cooker wrapped up... I have used the smoker for a warmer all the time to "hold" butt meat till ready..

The picnic will be tougher butt that is the cut... not great for pulling or anything other than chili which you can cook the crap out of in moisture... if you ask me.. but so be it that is what he is working with. you be alright
              Brian

Yoder YS640
              Weber Genesis
              Weber 18.5" Kettle
              Weber Performer
              Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

24 hours for pulled pork ?
                That's insane.
                Also weird. So you cook it at 145 ?
                why

what size is the joint ?
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

But didnt he want to carve the pork? Because if he do that he dont need higher temp like you do when you make pulled pork?

like i said, im new to this so i might have wrong xD

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much //Ronald Reagan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing // Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by mackan110 View Post
                    But didnt he want to carve the pork? Because if he do that he dont need higher temp like you do when you make pulled pork?

like i said, im new to this so i might have wrong xD

That is a good question... guess I assumed pulled since it was the shoulder... Laz you still here... pulled or sliced??
                    Brian

Yoder YS640
                    Weber Genesis
                    Weber 18.5" Kettle
                    Weber Performer
                    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

I would take Butt Pulled Pork to about 200° to 205°, or when the bone falls out easily.

If I'm going to slice a Butt, I would still take it to about 190°.

A loin would go to 145°--150° at my house.

Bear
                      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Wow this ones boggling! I had to get in on it. Wheres the OP? And what temp did the meat get to?!
                        sigpicSmoke meat, not crack
                        Sullys bangin' ass jerkey-
                        Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

Comment

24 hours? Back down to 145? Can you provide more details to the cook?
                          sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Ok, some detail (sorry, I had a HUGE day yesterday and never had time to get back to this until now).

Ok, first the "why" on why it cooked so fast. I have an electric smoker, and I sometimes forget where the thermometer for the temp inside the smoker is. In this case I accidently pushed one of the shoulders onto the thermometer and that caused the smoker to run at max temp because it never thought the temp was up to where it needed to get to. That is why the shoulders "finished" so fast.

As far as questions about the cook style, what I normally do is take 1-2 10 lbs. shoulders and cook them at 225 to an internal temp of about 195. My smoker (when I am using is correctly) is normally pretty good about staying at the right temp and it just normally take 18 to 24 hours to bring that shoulder up to 195 or 200 (almost always 24 hours to get to 200 when cooking at 225).

Am I doing something wrong?

On a side note, the pork ended up turning out well enough thanks to the great advice from the people here. The larger of the two shoulders was a little tough since I was stupid and put the meat probe thermometer in the smaller of the shoulders, but the flavor was good (thanks to MHGP) and the adoption party went over very well.

I also was able to introduce about 100 people to the joy that is/are ABT's.

And to answer the question from above, it was pulled.

Comment

Awe good! Glad things worked out for ya!! Pulled pork pretty forgiving and if you had some juice in there all went well!! And to the ABTs.. way to go!!
                              Brian

Yoder YS640
                              Weber Genesis
                              Weber 18.5" Kettle
                              Weber Performer
                              Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X