New Year Cooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Year Cooks

Well, we couldn't make our trip to Houston for New Year this year. First time in about 10 years. Our dearest friends, my wife's cousin and her husband who has over the last 47 years become one of my best friends couldn't do it this time. We are also God Parents to each other's children (all adults now). Linda's mom is in Hospice and they were just too busy to host it this time. Sure missed it, as Andy and each buy a nice bottle of Scotch and sip away at it over the 3 or 4 days of the holiday. Anyway since we couldn't go to Houston, I cooked. First I made me Lox. Haven't made any for a couple of years and folks at work have been asking me to make some. Since the temperature was around 25 degrees all weekend I decided to toss in a chunk of butter. Worked great! Here's a step by step I had previously posted on making Lox. http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26991

Mrs. Snarlingiron's favorite breakfast is a bagel wit a schmeah, some capers, thin sliced red onion and and lox. So this is what she had on New Year's Eve morning:

She also requested that I make my Chili. So I did that on Friday and Saturday. Here's a previous post on the Chili. http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...ighlight=chili

She also requested that I make up some of my "Cowpea Compote". There are a ton of recipes for what most folks around here call "Texas Caviar", but none I have ever seen use Jicima as mine does. I think it adds a great crunch and flavor:

Then to round everything out, I made a pot of Pintos.

Thanks fer lookin'.
    A few of my favorite things:
    Good Whiskey
    Good Food
    Bad Girls
    sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
    Certified Glock Armorer

That all looks great, that chili has to be wonderful!!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Nice lineup...Great pics...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Man what a feast!

Comment

Pro job SI, all looks amazing!
          sigpic

Comment

Man you had me with the Salmon ... Everything looked great

Comment

Everything looks amazing.
              Ed

Smoke Vault 24
              Vermont Castings Gas Grill
              Thermoworks Smoke
              The "Fastest" Orange Thermapen around!
              The Neighbor's 36" Blackstone

Comment

I like the Jicima add to the Cowpea Compote..... As well as everything else
                sigpic

Comment

Like the Jicima addition. Everything looks fabulous... grate job sir!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Everything looks fantastic but you had me with that bagel!

Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                    My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                    @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                    X