Smoked-Meat Forums

Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Helpful Information

Helpful Information Info, Tips & Tricks On Smoking Meats.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 Mini-Apple Tart
Last Post: chefrob
Posted On: 11-22-2017
Replies: 8
Views: 73
0 Anova SV on sale via Amazon....move fast though
Last Post: DDave
Posted On: 11-21-2017
Replies: 9
Views: 126
0 Eagles vs Cowboys..... Ohhhhhhh Sunday Night!
Last Post: Smooth E Smoke
Replies: 15
Views: 196
0 Low and slow back ribs on the Weber
Last Post: Smooth E Smoke
Replies: 12
Views: 155
0 Easy Dutch Oven Chicken and Stuffing Bake
Last Post: Fishawn
Replies: 10
Views: 100
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,420 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 42,880 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 642,914 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 08-02-2017, 09:13 PM
Tailgater

HornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To All
HornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To All
Default Smoking at altitude

I'll never forget the first summer me and my high school buddies went to Ruidoso Downs to brush horses. We rented a cabin for the summer and since we were all broke I was going to cook us up some bean burritos. Come lunchtime the beans were hard as rocks and after boiling for 12 hours we couldn't even eat them for dinner. I threw them out and found out the next day you had to use a pressure cooker at altitude.

This weekend I'm dragging my smoker for a big cook from 2700 ft on the edge of the Llano Estacado up to 7000 ft in the Lincoln National Forrest.

Please warn me now if my briskets are going to cook slower at altitude, because I'm gonna have a hungry crowd come dinner time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 08-02-2017, 09:21 PM
Pepper Head

Abelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To All
Abelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To All

Are doing a packer, point, or a flat? Whatever it is, what is the weight?

I've only smoked, cooked at altitude. It's a different ball game as you know.

I'm at basically 5300 ft, so water boils at 200 degrees depending on current air pressure. It also affects smokes.

In short, low and slow becomes low and slower. So, don't be afraid to raise the temp 10-15 degrees to try and compensate a bit.

You can also foil and seal tightly to help on the back end.
Masterbuilt 7 in 1
Old 08-02-2017, 10:50 PM
Tailgater

HornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To All
HornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To All

I'm old school, I cook to time not by temperature, even though I have a Maverick unopened in the box that my girls gave me for Father's Day... last year!!!

I smoke an hour a pound and use the Franklin method. I've probably cooked 40 to 50 briskets that way on my new reverse flow smoker and they come out darn near perfect every time. So with four 12 lb packers I'll usually go 4 hours on the grate, 4 hours on cardboard and 4 hours wrapped in butcher paper with a 2 hour rest in an icebox. My thermometer is turned to 275 as high noon and I try to hold that temp. About every hour to 90 minutes I'll add a log at 250 and it will spike up to 300 before it settles back to my 275 cooking temperature.

Should I add a couple of hours or cook at 15 degrees higher to compensate for the altitude... or both???

Last edited by HornedToad; 08-02-2017 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:25 AM
Pit Master

jwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To All
jwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To All

Might want to break out that thermometer just to be safe.

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...
Old 08-03-2017, 10:32 AM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

I don't know if you use any Amazing Smokers, but if you have a Tray & a Tube, take the Tube with you for that High altitude smoke generating. The tray doesn't work too good at high altitudes.

Bear
Old 08-04-2017, 07:10 AM
Meatasaurus

AJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To All
AJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To All

I did my last packer at my cabin in Cloudcroft, NM which is 40 miles south of you and a couple thousand feet higher or so (9,000' above stress level). I found mine cooked pretty quickly but I just used the side baskets in a Webber 22" grill with charcoal and chips. Granted the cooking temp was a tad higher as it reached 300F a few times but I hit 200F IT in 7 hours on a 13# brisket. It is a little harder to get the coals going at altitude but once it is going, it funs just fine. The boiling point drops to 195F up there and about 198F at 7k'. If you are baking stuff add more flour to the recipes to account for the higher elevation.

Last edited by AJ; 08-04-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:45 AM
Barque Berner

Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All
Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All

First, in Florida we don't have places that can be considered "at altitude"...except late in the evening.

My question, if at altitude say 2,500' and water boils at 200 - do you not have to lower your target temp to not "steam out" the meat?
I know here at swamp level we have to stay under 212, really 205. Just a thought??

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!
Old 08-04-2017, 08:48 AM
Barque Berner

Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All
Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All

Welll, okay, sometimes early in the evening!

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Old 08-04-2017, 08:17 PM
Meatasaurus

AJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To All

I took my last brisket to 205 and it was fine moisture wise.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:37 PM
Barque Berner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ View Post
I took my last brisket to 205 and it was fine moisture wise.
At what altitude? It does make a difference?
That post, again, looks excellent! But the question is. Maybe a better formulated question -
Does your finish Int temp need to be adjusted at altitude in relation to boiling temp?
Any thought(s)? (not here in swamp)

Old 08-04-2017, 10:55 PM
Meatasaurus

That cook was at 9000'. I cooked it the same way I do in Las Cruces which is 4000'. Like I mentioned it took longer for the coals to get to temp but that's about it.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:30 PM
Barque Berner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ View Post
That cook was at 9000'. I cooked it the same way I do in Las Cruces which is 4000'. Like I mentioned it took longer for the coals to get to temp but that's about it.
Cool, question answered! Hey we don know in the swamp parts! Seems like it should make a difference!
Cool Beans!

Old 08-05-2017, 03:01 AM
Tailgater

Based on Abelman & AJs post I decided since I already smoke hot @ 275, instead of raising the temp I'm going to do my standard hour a pound 12 hour smoke for 12 lb briskets except I bought 10 pounders to compensate for the altitude.

I'll let y'all now how it turns out tomorrow, which is really today since it's after midnight and I'll be up in a few hours to pull the briskets out of the icebox to room temperature and start the fire.

I'm going to have either... beef jerky, a firm juicy slice or pot roast???

Old 08-05-2017, 11:04 AM
Meatasaurus

I definitely do not cook just by time. I recommend keep an eye on the IT and it will reward you in the end.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:06 AM
Tailgater

From my smoke today I would say the altitude does matter. I thought buying smaller briskets would compensate and I cooked those the same time & cooking temperature as at home.

The flavor was good but you can see the fat cap didn't render out and the meat was not as tender.

One of these days I'll listen and take my Maverick out of the box.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:03 AM
Pit Masters Assistant

dcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

The basic science you need to incorporate to make adjustments:

1. The lower the atmospheric pressure, the faster the water evaporate, at any temperature.
2. When water evaporates, it takes away a lot of heat (latent heat loss).
3. The higher the altitude, the lower in oxygen in air. Fire gets hot slower.
4. Thermal conductivity of any substance will remain the same at any pressure; in other words, skin temperature will travel to internal at the same speed at any pressure.

dcarch

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Helpful Information