No announcement yet.

Native American Frybread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds real good Ron, but then I have never met a Bread I didn't like!!!

Interesting too!!!

Bear
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

never heard of fry bread. Sounds kinda like an elephant ear, are they similar?
      Mike
      Life In Pit Row

Comment

i'm not sure, mike - i've never heard of an elephant ear! ~ lol
        Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
        Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

lol. must be a local thing. It's a fried bread, served at all the fairs and pretty much any outdoor gathering through the summer.

Basically a flattened "ear" of dough that's fried, though I'm not sure if it's a yeast dough or not, served with various toppings, from jam to garlic butter, but the most popular is a cinnamon/sugar mix. With it's bubbles and wrinkles it kinda looks like an elephant ear, which I guess is how it got the name around here.

I'm sure it has the same roots, if it's not in fact the same thing.
          Mike
          Life In Pit Row

Comment

yep, sounds like about the same thing. we have them at the fairs and they are called scones. when they are filled with a meat/chili mixture and cheese, they are called sconitos
            Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Nice...Real Nice! I'm 1/4 Wampanoag...I'm trying with my cousins to connect with triabal lessons. Hard for me since they are all in Massachusetts...These lessons & recipes are important to me...Appreciate ya!
              Sunset Eagle Aviation
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Thanks for the update. Great post

Comment

hey, glad you like it ~

having grown up between two reservations, with many friends and family members who share traditions, this one means a lot to me.
                  Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Thanks for sharing!

I have a good friend who is a teacher on a reservation in Poplar, Montana. He always spoke of frybread, so I googled it and have made it a few times. So simple, yet so delicious!

Comment

they make something very similiar next door - call them parathas.

The only difference is the baking powder and our indians use wholemeal flour not sieved and bleached.

They sent a batch round a while back - they were pretty good.

I like how yours look with the baking powder and thicker initial dough rounds though

Have some bread

Our different recipes are never shared outside of the family, we keep it as whole as we can and never change it. We do pour honey on it, that is about all.
                      And that's how these things die out david. Share the recipes with your friends and your traditions expand and reach other people
                      Last edited by curious aardvark; 08-24-2012, 11:04 AM.
                      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

thanks for the points, alex ~

>>>And that's how these things die out david. Share the recipes with your friends and your traditions expand and reach other people<<<

BINGO, with a gold star - points for catching the significance of that!

you just nailed one of the main reasons i started FotW. anyone who wants to preserve their family, heritage and culture where food is concered, so that it doesn't die out, is wholeheartedly invited to participate in the FotW project (link in my signature).
                        Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
                          great read and thx for posting!

Ditto!!
                          Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                          Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                          1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                          Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                          Weber Smokey Joe
                          Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                          Pink Thermapen
                          Purple Thermapen

Comment

Hmmm, seems I missed this the first time around Ron. Great read and tutorial. Pics look so good, I can almost taste em from here.
                            https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

I usually make chapatis with a very similiar recipe. But dry fried and no baking powder.
                              Next batch - going to try the backing powder and rolling them a little thicker. And maybe frying a couple in shallow oil as well

I just love the speed and ease of unleavened flatbreads.
                              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
                                never heard of fry bread. Sounds kinda like an elephant ear, are they similar?
                                Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
                                i'm not sure, mike - i've never heard of an elephant ear! ~ lol
                                Originally posted by PitRow View Post
                                lol. must be a local thing. It's a fried bread, served at all the fairs and pretty much any outdoor gathering through the summer.

Basically a flattened "ear" of dough that's fried, though I'm not sure if it's a yeast dough or not, served with various toppings, from jam to garlic butter, but the most popular is a cinnamon/sugar mix. With it's bubbles and wrinkles it kinda looks like an elephant ear, which I guess is how it got the name around here.

I'm sure it has the same roots, if it's not in fact the same thing.
                                Digging up this old thread, and basically answering my own question. I had the pleasure of staying at the Kah-nee-ta Resort on the Warm Springs Indian Reservation this weekend and had authentic frybread for the first time. While similar to an elephant ear, they are slightly different. The elephant ear is bigger and flatter and doesn't puff up quite as much. The flavor is very much the same though, so I imagine it's a very similar dough.

This weekend I had a native american "fajita" for dinner, strips of elk with peppers and onions, corn, black beans, lettuce, etc., served on frybread, and for breakfast a plain frybread with huckleberry preserves. Both quite excellent, hence my digging up of this thread so I can grab the recipe again and make some soon.
                                Mike
                                Life In Pit Row

Comment

Working...
                                X