No announcement yet.

Cleaning / Degreasing Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Careful scraping the inside near the firepot, there is gasket material. I use a plastic paint scraper in my 640. You can remove the igniter if you want to. Covering the hopper area with plastic isn't a bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by veryolddog View Post
      What I do is vacuum the interior in order to make sure that you get all of the ash completely removed and remove all of the remaining pellets. Then,

1 apply Citra-Solv which is a lemon based cleaner that is food safe to all surfaces by using a sponge mixed with a little Dawn.

2. If you can get a power spray, blow out the interior. (Make sure that all of the pellets are removed from the hopper). The grease drain will allow the water to drain out of the unit.

3. Let the unit dry completely.

4. Apply a good coat of peanut oil to the interior and exterior.

5. Fire up the unit to 350 degrees and let it burn for 2 hours.

It will look almost brand new. If you are worried about the electronic board, cover the hopper with plastic wrap and avoid the spray in that area.
      I used the Citra-Solve and man does that stuff ever work!! I mixed it a little stronger than it called for and used a spray bottle to apply it. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and the grease and gunk wiped right out!
      Jerry
      YS640
      Weber Performer Platinum
      Master Forge Gasser
      MES 40 x 2
      AMNPS x 2
      AMNTS x 2
      Vortex
      Taylor 808N x 2
      ET-732
      White Thermapen (so fast color can't stick to it)
      Blue Thermapen (Backlit)
      Q Matz

Comment

Now, I have to qualify my response in that I don't own a pellet pooper, but for my big rig I drain the grease tray and stoke that baby up...It kind of goes into "Clean Mode" like a self cleaning oven would. I can get it hot enough to burn the seasoning right off of it. Then I'll scrape the insides and re-season, or pressure wash it and re-season. This works great if you can get the temp up high enough.

If you burn the seasoning off like I do, don't hesitate on the re-seasoning thing. You don't want the interior to start to rust on ya.
        BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
        Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
        I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Working...
        X