Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

English Mincemeat And What To Do With It :-) (yep, finally lol)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serve with either icecream, custard or a big dollop of whipped cream.

Attached Files
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

bump for those who missed the crumble :-)
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Seasonal bump :-)

And the first 3 dozen pies of 2014

Attached Files
        Last edited by curious aardvark; 12-11-2014, 07:04 AM.
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

well it's that time of year again.
          Made around 20lb of mincemeat, I'm currently 7 dozen pies down (not sure how many I ate personally, but it's not an insignificant amount )

Got another 4 dozen to make next week. And I've actually got a few jars to give away this year as well.

So if you've not tried this most christmassy of english christmas foods - now's your chance.
          Currently, there are currently 370 million mince pies sold in the UK over the Christmas period annually, with the average Brit eating 27 mince piece each. 20% of these 370 million pies are thrown out, 74 million mince pies contributing to the huge amount of food wasted across Britain each Christmas.
          I definitely eat more than the average - and None of mine get wasted :-)
          To put this in perspective, mince pies tend to go on sale mid november and stop in january. So approx 2 months to sell 370 million.
          They are pretty ubiquitous - but mine are definitely the best in the land :-)
          Last edited by curious aardvark; 12-14-2017, 06:57 AM.
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Love me some mincemeat! Me Scottish grandmum made this delight every year... I do miss it.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

My Grandmother used to make them (with Brandy poured over I believe).
              I thought they sucked, but I was just a Kid then.
              A lot of things I didn't like as a Kid, I like today, like Broccoli, Moxie, and a couple others.

Bear
              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Brandy sauce perhaps.
                Though usually you just eat them as they come, warmed up they're good with whipped cream
                Or icecream. Orvwaht i had the other day: really really thick cream with baileys :-)

We have brandy sauce with christmas pudding. Well i say 'we', i do just pour brandy on mine. I'm Not into custard or white sauce.
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Never had one but after this I need to try 'em - Thanks for bumping this CA
                  ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                    Brandy sauce perhaps.
                    Though usually you just eat them as they come, warmed up they're good with whipped cream
                    Or icecream. Orvwaht i had the other day: really really thick cream with baileys :-)

We have brandy sauce with christmas pudding. Well i say 'we', i do just pour brandy on mine. I'm Not into custard or white sauce.

She was an Old PA Dutch lady, and was a Great cook, especially Pies.
                    She made Elderberry Pies too, but she called them something like----
                    "Mickikep Pie" (That's what it sounded like)---It meant "Fly-head Pie".

I guess because the Elderberries looked like Fly Heads.

End of today's Pennsylvania Dutch lesson.

Bear
                    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

it's that time of year again :-)
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Alex I have to throw some points around to you for this post.

I started reading it and did not notice the dates! It all seemed like I remeber them but it is one of those timeless posts.

Funny how it progressed, Still would like to know how to measure a "glug" LOL...

I am really not into raisins but "may" have to give it a try. Not sure of the history of mincemeat but it sounds better than "rasin pie"....even with Baily's.

Comment

the history is fairly interesting.

The pies originated when dried fruit and spices from the colonies started becoming readily available.
                          They would be mixed into meat pies with added suet.
                          The spices and fruit added unusual flavours and textures and the suet helped to seal the filling to make it keep longer.

As spices and dried fruit got more common and cheaper the meat was replaced completely.
                          Most commercail mincemeat in the uk still contains suet. I don't think most people know why and it's totally unnecessary.

Basically most of what we english consider to be 'traditional' christmas - originated with the victorians. They basically invented the 'traditional' british christmas.

It's one reason the food side of things is quite different in the states, as most of the settlers were pre-victorian era and took their own traditions with them.

A 'glug' is the amount a thisrty person can swallow in one go.
                          It's also the noise liquid makes when being pouyred from a bottle.

To be honest I just pour it on as I feel. This year was a mix of cointreau and pimms. Probably a large wine glass amount in total.
                          And that was a half batch (for me) - about 9lbs.

It's not strictly necessary - but hell why not :-)
                          Brandy works well if you don't have cointreau. Vanilla vodka I've used in the past, whisky would work. Basically whatever your fsavourite spirits is - or what you have most of that doesn't get drunk much, will probably work fine :-)
                          Last edited by curious aardvark; 12-19-2019, 06:56 AM.
                          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Well I know it's christmas - 'cos I've just made my first dozen mince pies of the season :-)

Salmon is cured and smoked and in the freezer, there's a decent chunk of loin curing in the fridge for boxing day ham.
                            And i have bought exactly NO presents yet !
                            Imean it's ALL about the food. right ?

I have no idea when it is - but damn christmas has to be damn close !

So anyway. the annual bump for my transatlantic mates :-)
                            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

My Grandmother made that every Christmas.
                              Thanks for the memory.
                              Merry Christmas
                              fltsfshr
                              Never Hesitate......Take the Shot.
                              Kamado Joe
                              Magma SS
                              Shrimp Boiler
                              Ninja 6-1
                              Fire Pit

Comment

My grandma made it but I don't recall liking it. Might have to try it as a grownup.

Comment

Working...
                                X