X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just some food for thought
    Cold Smoking is temperature below 100 degrees
    Hot Smoking is temperatures between 165 to 185 degrees
    Smoke Roasting is temperatures between 185 and 250 degees.
    Roasting is about 250 degrees
    sigpic

Comment

Just some food for thought
      Cold Smoking is temperature below 100 degrees
      Hot Smoking is temperatures between 165 to 185 degrees
      So what's bbq ?

For me it varies entirely with what I'm smoking.
      Usually for sausage, fatties, fish etc I like to keep it between 160 - 200 (I don't really do precision in my current smoker ;-)
      I don't like the black coating many members seem to prefer. So I cook a bit longer and a bit lower.

Ribs i'd have it hotter. Haven't done chicken yet.

Cold smoking - definitely WELL below 100, round here I think we regard it as below 80. If your cheese is melting - it's not cold smoking lol
      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
        So what's bbq ?
        I have never heard the term "Smoke roasting" but I'd say BBQ is usually between 200 and 300°.

Above 100 to 200° is what I call "cool smoking". Mainly used for sausage, fish and the like.

Don't know of anyone doing the standard ribs/butt/briskies or especially chicken below 200.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Savannahsmoker View Post
          What if you apply smoke while your cooker temps are 251 to say 285? Since you are "roasting" and "smoking" wouldn't that be considered smoke roasting?? What about up to 325??

I think it boils down to what temp do you like to BBQ at that will give you a safe, palatable product in the time you have allotted yourself. Along those lines, I think Rich said it best.

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          You are not doing yourself any favors keeping below 225° for anything BBQ. Smoking of cheese, cured meats, etc. is NOT BBQ, it's a separate thing. And as mentioned you are better served keeping any poultry above 250°. It's safer, and better that way.
          I don't know that anyone has shown that there is any real benefit to cooking below 225. It is puzzling to me why the Treager company uses 180 as one of their settings on their units. Plus if you inject you've got the danger zone issue to worry about.

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
          Cold smoking - definitely WELL below 100, round here I think we regard it as below 80. If your cheese is melting - it's not cold smoking lol
          Below 80. Heck, I can't even keep my patio below 80 half of the year.

Dave
          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
          -
          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by smokin while smokin View Post
            i was bringing the internal temp up to 170 before pulling it off. lol good thing i have a cast iron stomach.

ok this weekend i'll bring the temps into the 250 range and smoke some chicken breasts.

thanks!
            USDA recommends 165 internal temp on all poultry.
            160 for ground beef, egg dishes and fresh(uncured)pork.
            Steaks, roasts and fish 145.
            Remember these are minimums, beef and pork do some really cool things at higher internal temps.
            Depends on the cuts of meat you are using and what you are looking for in taste.
            The danger with poultry, in particular, is not letting the internal temps stay in the danger zone(40-140) for extended periods. That's why they(we) are all recommending you use higher temps(300+) for poultry. To get your bird through the danger zone as quickly as possible.
            Good luck and welcome.

JT
            JT

Comment

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
              The danger with poultry, in particular, is not letting the internal temps stay in the danger zone(40-140) for extended periods. That's why they(we) are all recommending you use higher temps(300+) for poultry. To get your bird through the danger zone as quickly as possible.
              That and if you want to eat the skin and not have it feel like your chewing on a deflated balloon.

But the danger zone issue is the more important one.

Dave
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              -

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                That and if you want to eat the skin and not have it feel like your chewing on a deflated balloon.
                What - you never chew on flat balloons?? -
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  What - you never chew on flat balloons?? -
                  Not on purpose.

I usually don't eat the skin on poultry anymore (damn cholesterol ) but the first time I did chicken quarters on the drum at around 300, I'd figure I'd give it a try. Pretty much reminded me of a flat balloon.

Now on the other hand, when I did the turkey on the drum rotisserie at closer to 350 (sometimes above) the skin was darn good!! Crispish turkey skin with Mad Hunky Rub on it is awesome!

Dave
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  -

Comment

My smoker only goes to 212 deg and it does just fine. The poultry I've done, I move the oven to finish. It does take longer, but mine runs like a clock set it and forget it.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by black_dog; 12-21-2009, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X