Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A-MAZ-N Smoker's Users. Make your own dust.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A-MAZ-N Smoker's Users. Make your own dust.

As you A-MAZ-N Smoker's users know the dust is sort of expensive so I checked out making my own and here is how I did and do it.

I filled up a baking pan with BBQr's Delight cherry wood pellets and lightly misted the pellets while stirring.

Let the pellets sit overnight and by the next day the pellets had turned into wet sawdust. I used a fan for a couple of hours to do initial drying and let them dry overnight.

Next day I put the pan of pellets in the oven at just above warm for 4 hours.

I found out this is not necessary unless one is in a hurry.

I Put the sawdust in a bag and let it sit for a couple of weeks.

Here is how well it works. You can see in the pictures the nice blue smoke it makes.

sigpic

I have that stuff growing on my patio. Those pellets really blow up if ya spill some and it rains. Guess i better sweep em up!
    "Because without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

Comment

That is a good idea!!! I will keep that in mind...I need to get me one of those before spring!!!
      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
      Yoder YS640
      Weber Genesis
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber Performer
      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

I'm curious why, there's not much difference in the price per pound? At least not here, but then I can't buy either locally.
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I just raise the blade up real high on the table saw at work and unhook the dust collector to make my own dust. Depending on what kind of kitchen we're building at the time, I can get oak, cherry, hickory, maple or alder.....I just bag it up and sift out the feathery stuff at home.

Sorry T. J. , but, I can't justify buying when I have cabinet grade hardwood at my disposal for free...

L8r,
          Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
            I'm curious why, there's not much difference in the price per pound? At least not here, but then I can't buy either locally.
            Here is my reason why. A 40 pound bag of BBQr's Delight costs me $21 including shipping or about 52 cents a pound. A-MAZ-N Smoker dust costs me $4.49 a pound. That's almost 4 dollars a pound more for the dust.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Savannahsmoker View Post
              Here is my reason why. A 40 pound bag of BBQr's Delight costs me $21 including shipping or about 52 cents a pound. A-MAZ-N Smoker dust costs me $4.49 a pound. That's almost 4 dollars a pound more for the dust.
              Cool source, that's right you use a pellet pooper. I like the selection of wood. I mostly use pellets in my AMPS these days, cept for cheese - don't go there.
              Thanks for the pellet source.
              Mark
              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
              Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Cool source, that's right you use a pellet pooper. I like the selection of wood. I mostly use pellets in my AMPS these days, cept for cheese - don't go there.
                That price is for a 400 pound shipment and a ton is the best price. I get a combo of Hickory, Apple and Cherry. Oak is the base material so I am always smoking with a mixture of oak and one of the other or all.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Earache_My_Eye View Post
                  I just raise the blade up real high on the table saw at work and unhook the dust collector to make my own dust. Depending on what kind of kitchen we're building at the time, I can get oak, cherry, hickory, maple or alder.....I just bag it up and sift out the feathery stuff at home.

Sorry T. J. , but, I can't justify buying when I have cabinet grade hardwood at my disposal for free...

L8r,
                  Eric
                  according to Alton Brown you should never ever use kiln dried lumber to cook with.

Comment

The why is that you can only buy the dust from i think 2 locations. and Pellets are everywhere.
                    You also can make you own pellet burner using any perforated metal for a lot less $
                    not to mention the pride in doing it yourself. Kina like a double nickel gallon barrel or manufactured BBQ for hundreds of dollars. I like the home grown and the meat taste great.
                    Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, Rage against the dying of the light.

www.wedlinydomowe.com/

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage...ure-calculator

ExhaustedSpark
                    Disabled
                    Member American Legion
                    Life Member NRA
                    Life Member ARRL

Comment

Originally posted by dscott View Post
                      according to Alton Brown you should never ever use kiln dried lumber to cook with.
                      And his reason would be....???

Besides, I'm not cooking with it....it's just the smoke source...

Comment

Why not for cheese. I use pellets for cheese and love it. I use my silverware holder for the pellets.
                        I have not tried sawdust or the fine dust in this unit but i will in the future.
                        Well i can seem to download a pict but i will keep trying
                        Karl
                        Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, Rage against the dying of the light.

www.wedlinydomowe.com/

ExhaustedSpark
                        Disabled
                        Member American Legion
                        Life Member NRA
                        Life Member ARRL

Comment

That is strange. I am under the impression that kiln dried lumber is just dried wood. I would not use Kiln dried treated lumber but kiln dried is just dried wood.
                          Any info would be helpful
                          Karl

www.wedlinydomowe.com/

ExhaustedSpark
                          Disabled
                          Member American Legion
                          Life Member NRA
                          Life Member ARRL

Comment

Here is my reason why. A 40 pound bag of BBQr's Delight costs me $21 including shipping or about 52 cents a pound.
                            That price is for a 400 pound shipment
                            Your price per pound is somewhat misleading then. Not everyone is going to buy 400 pounds at a time. Plus you forgot to add the cost of running the fan for a couple of hours and the oven for four hours to your cost of production.

Sorry. It's the accountant in me. (Yes I did do cost accounting before I switched to IT.)

As a former dry kiln operator, I'd be interested in knowing his reasoning behind this. It's just heat and air movement that dries the wood. And temps are kept relatively low. We were drying softwoods and the temp topped out at 165°. Some softwood is dried at higher temps but hardwoods are generally dried at temps below 180° and some lower than that.

It may not be as aromatic as air dried wood but I can't think of any reason that kiln dried wood would hurt anything to cook with.

Originally posted by ExhaustedSpark View Post
                            That is strange. I am under the impression that kiln dried lumber is just dried wood. I would not use Kiln dried treated lumber but kiln dried is just dried wood.
                            You are entirely correct.

Dave
                            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                            UDS 1.0
                            Afterburner
                            Weber Performer
                            Blue Thermapen
                            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                            Auber Smoker Controller
                            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                            -
                            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                              Your price per pound is somewhat misleading then. Not everyone is going to buy 400 pounds at a time. Plus you forgot to add the cost of running the fan for a couple of hours and the oven for four hours to your cost of production.

Sorry. It's the accountant in me. (Yes I did do cost accounting before I switched to IT.)

Dave
                              I assumed most people reading this would realized that pennies would have to be added for the fan and the oven. BTW the oven nor the fan is required and a 20 lb bag is $16. I am sure the accountant in you can still see a cost savings here not including the enjoyment of making ones own. lol
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X