using strawberry's as a barbecue rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using strawberry's as a barbecue rub

on sunday, i got the chance to barbecue some country-style ribs. it was a last-minute decision to do them, so nothing fancy was done; just a quick slather with mustard and an application of strawberry's barbecue seasoning as a rub. (http://www.strawsbbq.com/) i've been waiting to try this as a rub and i can't tell you how good it was!

if anyone is interested in this seasoning, i urge you to give it a try. we don't have it up here, so i would like to thank RIVET for sending some to me and introducing me to the wonder that is strawberry's! it says bbq SEASONING on the label, but i can now wholeheartedly vouch for it as a rub as well. it became an instant favourite the first time i tried it - tangy, a good balance of salty and sweet, a little bit spicy but not hot, and something else in there that i haven't pin-pointed, but definitely love very much. this stuff is one of those seasonings that makes good use of your entire tongue and stimulates all the tastebuds!

these CSRs went on the SnP over royal oak red bag lump and maple chips at 1430 on sunday afternoon. cooking temps were on the low side, averageing 225-235 degrees due to the cold and windy conditions as well as my stinginess with fuel. i probably could have bucked it up quite a bit and gotten the manifold good and hot, but this worked well. 4 hours or so later the ribs were averaging 180 degrees internal and i brushed on some kraft honey bbq sauce on each of them for a few minutes, while we finsihed some potato salad.

this was a quick and dirty bbq session, so no pix except this one at the end. the potato salad was thrown together but was very good. i will post a recipe and nice-looking pix sometime this spring.

results were VERY good. CSRs were very tender and melt-in-your-mouth good. the strawberry's is a great bbq seasoning and even better as a rub! they were just a bit dry in the parts that had a lot of meat, but this is because i did not mop them throughout the cooking process. with the cold and wind, i did not want to risk the variations in temperatures. it sure didn't bother anyone or slow down any appetites, however ~

other than that, they were cookied very well. the connective tissues, collagen and fat melted just right and provided that wonderful texture and flavour that makes pork taste great! 100% satisfaction and even mrs. tas enjoyed this dinner, which is always a plus!
    Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 04-13-2010, 05:13 PM.
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Never heard of that rub. However I can work them country rib's over....look real good!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

That rub sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.

CSRs and potato salad . . . two of my favorite foods. And those CSRs look great!!

Dave
      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
      -
      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Meat and potatoes or potatoes and meat...either one it fine with me! Great looking CSR's.

At first when I read the title, I thought you were using the strawberry fruit... Hmmm that sounds interesting for some mop or an addition to some sauce.
        BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
        Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
        I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

yeah pork shoulder steaks are great.

so are there any actual strawberries in the rub ?
          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

>>>so are there any actual strawberries in the rub ?<<<

not that i am aware of - i beleive strawberry is the name of the guy who started the company, though i could be wrong.
            Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
            Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
              At first when I read the title, I thought you were using the strawberry fruit... Hmmm that sounds interesting for some mop or an addition to some sauce.

I was thinking dehydrated and powdered strawberries added to a rub.
              Wonder how well that would work...

Gonna give that link a look-see, sounds delicious
              There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

whatever whoever strawberries or not ya got me drooling again
                2-22.5'' weber
                1-18'' weber
                1 smokey joe
                22.5'' wsm
                24'' smoke vault
                1-outhouse
                Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Looks great. Ya got me wanting to try some CSR soon...and the rub too...
                  However the name of your thread almost kept me from reading what it was all about...
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

They are some smokin' good lookin' CSR! Super nice glistening color, they have. Wooowee I could get down on a plate of them and the tater salad.
                    Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                    Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Ditto the real strawberry comments.... CSR's look Great!
                      sigpic

Comment

Damn..looks good...I have 3 cartons of straws in da fridge for deserts and shakes....

Comment

That title caught my eye! Fresh or dry, I'll bet they'ed be good.

looking ribs, Tas!

Comment

Man those sure look good - the title caught me off guard too
                            Scarbelly

Comment

Working...
                            X