Help with Bark on Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Bark on Ribs

Now that I don't foil ribs anymre -- well, I've done 1 rack of babybacks and 1 rack of St. Louis style and have been very happy with the results it's time to work on the bark.

In the past, I really didn't expect too much from it because I figured the foiling stage was going to mess it up anyway. But even when I didn't foil, it seemed to not be very firm. In fact, you can slide the rub off with your finger or fork etc.

I usually put some rub on the night before, then reapply before putting them on the smoker. The last couple of times I have been sprinkling a little brown suger on them 30 minutes or so before they hit the smoker. Then, once an hour for the first several hours, I will spritz them -- lightly at first but towards the end of the smoke, I'll spritz them a little heavier until they glisten.

I'm wondering if I am:
    A) applying too much rub, and/or
    B) spritzing too much?

Any thoughts??

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

The only time I had really good bark on ribs was before I knew what I was doingRibs were hardly worth eating...

I think the lack of bark might be because of the fat content of the pork and the relatively short cook time...maybe the spritzing too... but the sugar in the rub and the spritz oughta halp to some extent with bark...or maybe not...

Looks like ya started a good one here Dave!
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Do you use a mustard slather? It helps. And coat the ribs well with rub. Do not mop (or that feminiqui other thing...) until rub has firmly set on meat. If mopping- dab gently so as not to break up rub coating.

There's the basics- sugars/honey later on will help too, or a glaze type concoction with perhaps some fruit pulp in it. I have been working on a plum glaze... gives a nice coat.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

With the meat side down, a few minutes on the Masterflame should give you the bark that you want. I brush my ribs with veg oil, then apply my rub. Seems to work ok for me. The low temps that I do my ribs at (225 max) doesn't give me any bark at all, but the meat is very consistent which doesn't get any complaints. I will brush on some modified SBR's the last hour. Great post & a fine topic for discussion
        sigpic
        New Braunfels Bandera
        New Braunfels Hondo
        4-22.5" Weber Kettles
        1-26" Weber Kettle
        24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
        Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

I've been using maple syrup instead of mustard. This is working great for bark.

I still foil, I just have drastically reduced the time and temp while in the foil

Comment

Dave I foil mine but when they come out of the foil I have been putting two light coats of sbr on the 1/2 hour with some great results. Great topic be interesting to see what else comes gets posted. I also coat mine with mustard before seasoning.
            Dave
            sigpic
            Brinkman Pitmast Deluxe (with alot of mods)
            Great Out doors grill
            Brinkman verticle
            And one great UDS
            Crooked Creek Viszlas

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
              With the meat side down, a few minutes on the Masterflame
              Too much trouble. That's one of the reasons I like not foiling. It was a pain in the ass.

should give you the bark that you want.
              Now that's an interesting point . . . maybe I don't know what I want. I guess I don't really want the outside crunchy, just firm. I don't want the rub coating to be like a paste that slides off. I want it firm.

Maybe I'll go back to using the mustard slather, go a little lighter on the "spraying" and a little thinner glaze. Darn, can't try it this weekend, maybe next weekend.

Dave
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              -

Comment

What temp are you cooking at?

Comment

Originally posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
                  What temp are you cooking at?
                  Usually 240° to 260° or there abouts.

Dave
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                    Too much trouble. That's one of the reasons I like not foiling. It was a pain in the ass. Dave

While I know you've been experimenting with no foil, you might have misunderstood what I meant. Right from the drum (without foil) to the Masterflame for a few minutes, then it's time to slip the ol' feedbag on. That should solidify things up a bit. The Masterflame is a gas grill isn't it?
                    Last edited by Mikey; 10-18-2010, 11:11 PM.
                    sigpic
                    New Braunfels Bandera
                    New Braunfels Hondo
                    4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                    1-26" Weber Kettle
                    24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
                    Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

I've never foiled ribs and usually have bark that I believe is as you described you are looking for, firm slightly crunchy, but the meat is moist. I only mop once, with apple juice and some BBQ sauce that goes well with whatever rub I used. Around two or three parts apple juice to one part BBQ sauce if it's fairly thick BBQ sauce. I mop both sides about an hour before I figure they're ready to come out, bottom first, then flip em over and mop the top. I take em out when I get almost a 90° bend in spares... or when baby backs seem like they're getting really flexible, but try to pull them before the meat starts to crack when I hold them by one end.

If they're injected ribs, they bend easily right from the get-go. I only got injected ribs once by mistake.... I'll try not to do that again. Very hard to tell when they're done, and the meat just doesn't have the same texture .
                      DennyD

GrillPro charcoal cabinet smoker, CharGriller Pro, 22" CKG(cheap kettle grill), 16" UniFlame kettle, Firepit/smoker stickburner, Brinkman gasser w/smoker box

Comment

Hmmm! have you tried boiling them 1st???
                        thats why Bubba wants to know the temp..
                        sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                        nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

a sticky substrate below the rub seems to do the job.

Mustard, honey, ketchup - all work really well.
                          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

While I know you've been experimenting with no foil, you might have misunderstood what I meant. Right from the drum (without foil) to the Masterflame for a few minutes, then it's time to slip the ol' feedbag on. That should solidify things up a bit. The Masterflame is a gas grill isn't it?
                            Yes the Masterflame is a gasser. But meat side down would mess up my meticulously applied glaze. Hmm . . . you've got me thinking though.

Dave
                            UDS 1.0
                            Afterburner
                            Weber Performer
                            Blue Thermapen
                            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                            Auber Smoker Controller
                            -

Comment

I know I gonna get in trouble here with the pure of heart, , ,but I'm runnin just below 300 with a huge water pan, lots of steam and smoke till just before they are done. Then I pull the water pan and let the temps go till the out side of the ribs are sizzling. Doesn't matter if you sauce em or not, it puts a nice crisp to em and the meat is really moist. It's workin for me but next comp season will tell the true story. Good thread Dave

JT
                              JT

Comment

Working...
                              X