New Years pig roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Years pig roast

Now that we have all digested our Christmas dinners, it is time for New Years! Kelly and I talked about cookin' a whole pig. This pig will be 60lb to 80 lb. It is at the butcher waiting for us to pick 'er up. Gonna brine the swine. Hoping to have it on the racks at midnight Thursday, in anticipation, of a 2 pm. carving New Years Day. Cookin' low ;n slow' .
    We have done extensive searches and have come up with plenty of different cooking lengths,many of them contradictory, to one another. Figuring 14 hrs, with a stall and rest time included. I know we are going to an internal 165* + in the largest section of meat. We also don't have any pork brine recipes, that can be made in a larger portion, for whole pig. Any suggestions on these are welcomed and would be greatly appreciated.

48 - 8"x8"x16" blocks

The Masons

Ooooh we's gettin' there !

finished stacked. 5'6"x 4' o.d.

fence posts with 1/2" rebar welded 13" o.c.
    The posts are galvanized. They will not touch the pig and will never get hot enough, to melt the galvanizing.
    2 of these racks. The pig will be butterflied and the other rack clamped over the top of the pig. This will help in flipping the pig over, on the pit. Most likely will used steel welded wire over the rebar parts. This is the makings of a dang good time and the ringing in, of a NewYear!
    Thank you for checkin' out our pig roast in progress!!
    Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

sigpic

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!
    sigpic

Comment

looking good kids.
      Chargriller Pro w. sfb
      Ducane 4100 propane grill
      Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

Ya'll get after it.....more pic's.....stay in the gas.....nice gig comin!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Hmmm,New years in southern California.I f i left now ,maybeHmmm man thats going to be good
          2-22.5'' weber
          1-18'' weber
          1 smokey joe
          22.5'' wsm
          24'' smoke vault
          1-outhouse
          Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
          Smoked meathead #135

Comment

I would say ask Cowgirl, She has a pit build just like that, other than the height.. I'm sure she could give a few tips on what to look for... JMO..
            Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

back in the day... we used to roastem on a spit at some of those alum can parties... i think they callem kegs??? used to take and rub the inside with salt and pepper, and fill with kraut, lace it up on the spit and let it cook for what seemed forever. guy had some wire mesh which he wrapped on the ouside of the hog. took off the pit removed the mesh and the whole dang pig was falling apart... from what i remember it was pretty good stuff!!!
              Charbroil SFB
              GOSM
              MES
              Dutch Ovens and other CI
              Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
              Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Looks like it's going to be a great roast. Keep the pics coming.

Dave
                CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                -
                "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

this is going to be fun... looking forward to watching the event progress...
                  Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

ah my boys hard at work! Gigi was very excited to see her boys on the post! lol!! Did ya warn Greg that she was coming? Lol!
                    That pit is a beauty Ryan!! Slainte my brother! \_/ cheers! I can't imagine a better way to ring in the new year. I forgot to ask you, is mom coming? I can't wait!!! Thanks for doing all the hard work Ry! MUAH! See ya Thursday!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Wow, that's going to be a great bash. All the best...
                      ---------------------------------------------------
                      I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                      ---------------------------------------------------
                      KCBS CBJ

Comment

you going to weld some lengthwise cross pieces on ?
                        I can tell you from experience you're going to need mesh, a few cross bars probably won't cut it.

Also seems a bit complicated clamping the pig and turning the whole thing over. Bear in mind the blocks are not concreted in. Very very easy to destroy the oven while trying to manipulate a large clapmed piggy. Particularly if you're planning on turning it more than once.
                        a single layer of mesh (cowgirl uses 1/4 inch expanded metal I used 1/2 inch welded steel) and turn the pig directly is easier. you could shove a couple of sterile spit rods through the pig itself for ease of turning.
                        Having done it without spit rods - I wouldn't do it again unless I had them.
                        Amazing how few handholds there are on a floppy pig carcase.

Also are you going to have a roof, or try and cook it over an open pit ?

the pit at the moment is probably too tall - unless you're planning on a huge bed of coals.

3 layers of blocks, then the mesh then another layer of blocks, would be standard. Although possibkly still a little high - cowgirl uses 2 layers, then the pig then another layer and then the lid.
                        Also you don't seem to have made any provision for adding charcoal, what's the plan on that ?

Have a look through that - loads of things I'd change but gives you an idea what not to do :-)
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I sure wish I was there! The pics of the young fella running around in short sleeves makes me jealous. It's a whole 1 degree here this morning. If you've got room to park my camper, maybe I can help with the BBQ!
                          sigpic
                          Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
                            ah my boys hard at work! Gigi was very excited to see her boys on the post! lol!! Did ya warn Greg that she was coming? Lol!
                            That pit is a beauty Ryan!! Slainte my brother! \_/ cheers! I can't imagine a better way to ring in the new year. I forgot to ask you, is mom coming? I can't wait!!! Thanks for doing all the hard work Ry! MUAH! See ya Thursday!
                            Heck yeah Kelly! Greg is super excited, that his best little buddy is coming over!! And the invite has been extended to mom too.

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                            you going to weld some lengthwise cross pieces on ?
                            I can tell you from experience you're going to need mesh, a few cross bars probably won't cut it. I do intend to use some welded wire on top of the welded racks

Also seems a bit complicated clamping the pig and turning the whole thing over. Bear in mind the blocks are not concreted in. Very very easy to destroy the oven while trying to manipulate a large clapmed piggy. Particularly if you're planning on turning it more than once.
                            a single layer of mesh (cowgirl uses 1/4 inch expanded metal I used 1/2 inch welded steel) and turn the pig directly is easier. you could shove a couple of sterile spit rods through the pig itself for ease of turning.
                            Having done it without spit rods - I wouldn't do it again unless I had them.
                            Amazing how few handholds there are on a floppy pig carcase.
                            I have two of these racks built, which we intend to clamp the pig between them. The pig will be covered in wire both sides.
                            Also are you going to have a roof, or try and cook it over an open pit ?
                            We will downstack the top row of blocks. Put the racks on and restack and cover with corrugated metal sheeting. Might have to sit out there wit' me scatter gun! Scare off them 'yotes and bobcats
                            the pit at the moment is probably too tall - unless you're planning on a huge bed of coals.

3 layers of blocks, then the mesh then another layer of blocks, would be standard. Although possibkly still a little high - cowgirl uses 2 layers, then the pig then another layer and then the lid.
                            Also you don't seem to have made any provision for adding charcoal, what's the plan on that ? We will use the end caps to remove 2 blocks and add coal and wood. The poles are setting on the longest runs. We absolutely appreciate the input from all y'all!

Have a look through that - loads of things I'd change but gives you an idea what not to do :-)
                            Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                            Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                              I sure wish I was there! The pics of the young fella running around in short sleeves makes me jealous. It's a whole 1 degree here this morning. If you've got room to park my camper, maybe I can help with the BBQ!
                              Bring it on! We got plenty 'o room for the camper. You won't be the only one camping either. Supposed to be in the mid 60 's New Years!
                              Ryan

Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X