hawaiian smoked country style ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hawaiian smoked country style ribs

to me, the highlight of any barbecue meal is the meat, but it is also true that the secret is in the sauce...this was pretty good stuff that we made this past weekend, and it is incredible how easy it was.

this recipe comes from my wife's grandmother. no one knows where she got it, but her family has always made it by BOILING the ribs for a while, then putting them in a crock pot or roasting pan with the sauce. being the barbecue purist that i am, this sounded rather like blasphemy, so i decided to try it using a few barbecue methods. in my opinion, the results were definitely worth the change!

here's all that was needed for the sauce - i told you it was easy!

I will post the original recipe for comparison, but my twist on the original was to add a couple of crushed garlic cloves. i could have added more, but this worked well. i also used a little extra soy sauce and brown sugar (dark rather than light) than the recipe called for. we doubled the recipe and then i added half-again as much soy and brown sugar, so if you're just making a single recipe of this, multiply the amounts of those ingredients by 1.5. it is easier than it sounds ~

[edit] Here's the recipe![/edit]

alright, folks - here's the original, basic recipe for the sauce - multiply it according to the amount of meat you use. we use CSRs but i would bet any pork would be great.

also keep in mind that for my version, i added a couple of garlic cloves and added half-again as much soy sauce and DARK brown sugar.

1 large onion, diced
    3 tbsp brown sugar (recipe says light, i use dark)
    1/4 cup vinegar (recipe says white, i use apple cider)
    3 tbsp soy sauce
    1 large (22 oz?) can of crushed pineapple
    1 large (28 oz?) can of tomato sauce

saute onion in a little oil, butter, whatever - until carmelized and transluscent. remove from heat and add the rest of the ingredients. bring to a boil, then reduce to a bare simmer for at least an hour or as long as you like - it only gets better. brush sauce on pork or braise pork in the sauce, depending on how you're cooking it.
    first we sauteed the chopped onion in a little butter. the pan got a little hot and some of the onions burned a little, but no big deal. we picked out the few worst pieces and left the rest - then cleaned the scorchy shit out of the pan.

next, we added dark brown sugar - don't that look good?

then came the soy sauce and then apple cider vinegar. once again, i will post the recipe so you can have the amounts, but it will have to wait until i am home.

finally, it was time for the tomato sauce and the crushed pineapple. starting to look pretty dang good!

we brought everything to a point that is just under a boil, then reduced heat and simmered all afternoon to thicken up and let the flavours marry. good sauce takes time and something happens to tomato-based sauces as they simmer slowly - i can't explain it, but it is pure magic.

meanwhile, we tossed on some country style ribs (CSRs) that we had prepared with a simple slathering of yellow mustard and a liberal dusting of strawberry's barbecue seasoning:

from then on it was slow simmering for the sauce and slow smoking over hickory for the CSRs. later that afternoon, i had to go for a while and left #2 son mike in charge. when i got back a couple of hours later, he had the SnP running like a veteran, holding a steady temperature of 242 degrees and employing very efficient use of the royal oak lump charcoal we were using. we stirred the sauce now and then, and turned/rotated the ribs every once in a while while spritzing with plain old orange juice. before long, the ribs were almost done:

about an hour after this picture was taken, maybe a little more, the sauce was finally looking the way i wanted it to look: thick, broken-down and dark:

we brought the sauce outside

and put the ribs and sauce together in a roaster to sit and wait while we prepared the side dish, which was a nice potato salad.

i covered the pan and let the last of the heat from the smoker keep the ribs and sauce warm. when the potato salad was ready, we plated up and pigged out:

very good results and this is, in my mind, a wonderful way to do country-style ribs! fork-tender CSR were infused with the savory soy, sweet dark brown sugar and tangy pineapple. the tomato, onion, garlic and other flavours were there to enjoy, but they kept their place and let this hawaiian masterpiece sing ~

thanks for looking and please feel free to give it a try. i will post the original recipe which can be used as a base - from there, you will want to experiment a bit and go out on your own with this. the results will be worth it!
    Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 02-05-2014, 01:55 PM.
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Those CSRs look tasty, good job taking the boiled recipe and doing it up right

Sauce sounds tasty as well, gonna definitely give it a try but with tamari soy sauce which I love much more than regular anymore.
    There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Oh Yeah!..... That Sounds & Looks Outstanding! Great Pictures Also.... Thanks for posting!
      sigpic

Comment

Really looks good & tasty! Great sounding recipe fer dat sauce!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Man, those look GREAT!!

Two of my favorite foods -- smoked pork and potato salad.

for a great looking meal.

Dave

On Edit: Oops . . . sorry, I guess the points will have to wait. I'm all out.
          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
          -
          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

thanks, guys - the ribs were great and the potato salad, in spite of being very plain this time around, was pretty good as well.
            Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Great Post and Great pics Those csr looked great

Have you posted the ingredients list and amounts yet?? I would like to try this
              sigpic
              Brinkman Pitmast Deluxe (with alot of mods)
              Great Out doors grill
              Brinkman verticle
              And one great UDS
              Crooked Creek Viszlas

Comment

Great work again Ron.....

Comment

awesome huli ribs.
                  brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                  18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                  cast iron Hibachi
                  22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                  & rotisserator
                  12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                  stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                  Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                  http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                  my music recordings-
                  http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Good looking pork

That's the second good looking sauce recipe today :-)

Have some (if I got any left)
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Looks great, gonna hafta try that.
                      Ron

Weber Smokey Mountain
                      GOSM x 2
                      Vermont Casting Grill
                      Black Thermapen (only color available in these parts)

Comment

There you go again............You kill me with your posts and pics.
                        I love the sound of the sauce, this will be done pretty soon in the Friday house hold.

edit: waiting on some points
                        Jerod
                        GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                        sigpic

Comment

alright, folks - here's the original, basic recipe for the sauce - multiply it according to the amount of meat you use. we use CSRs but i would bet any pork would be great.

also keep in mind that for my version, i added a couple of garlic cloves and added half-again as much soy sauce and DARK brown sugar.

1 large onion, diced
                          3 tbsp brown sugar (recipe says light, i use dark)
                          1/4 cup vinegar (recipe says white, i use apple cider)
                          3 tbsp soy sauce
                          1 large (22 oz?) can of crushed pineapple
                          1 large (28 oz?) can of tomato sauce

saute onion in a little oil, butter, whatever - until carmelized and transluscent. remove from heat and add the rest of the ingredients. bring to a boil, then reduce to a bare simmer for at least an hour or as long as you like - it only gets better. brush sauce on pork or braise pork in the sauce, depending on how you're cooking it.
                          Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 06-08-2010, 11:58 AM.
                          Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Great post as usual - thanks for sharing the recipe - gonna have to try that one next time I do some chicken - I think that will be outstanding
                            Scarbelly

Comment

chicken should work very well with this, bud! let us know how it goes if you try it!
                              Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Working...
                              X