No announcement yet.

hawaiian smoked country style ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's what we'll be having on Saturday this coming weekend (minus the scorched onions! ). In all probability (99%), I won't be smoking them, but they work just as well roasted in the oven (NO BOILING!).....
    Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 08-18-2014, 09:52 AM.
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

On another note....we miss ya, gary....
      Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

I was going to do Greek-style spares today:

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=365940

But this weekend was the anniversary of the birth of The Beautiful Mrs. Tas, and she wanted Hawaiian, so we went Hawaiian.

Too much going on today, rushing around like a one-legged, one-armed paper-hanger in an ass-kicking contest, so no photos. Having said that, here are the important details:

1) Mustard slather with Mad Hunky General Purpose Rub:

http://www.madhunkymeats.com

2) Made the sauce in the recipe above, let it simmer an hour or two, then zipped it with the wand blender. Continued to simmer on lowest setting throughout the afternoon.

3) Spritz/mop consisting on 1.5 cups orange juice, 1/4 cup teriyaki and 1/4 cup olive oil,

4) The last couple of hours, I brushed the sauce on in thin layers so that it could caramelise and turn into a nice coating. Will serve the remaining sauce "on the side.

Other non-important details related to method:

a) Saint-Louis-trimmed spare ribs.

b) Kingsford briquettes, cherry chunks (it's what we had on hand)..

c) 225-230 for the first couple-three hours; 250 to 260 for the remainder.

d) Half-full water pan (allowed it to evaporate out and ran dry the second half of the cook.

e) Served with deviled eggs, peas and macaroni and cheese.

Try it - you'll like it! The "bottom" set of statistics are of course subject to your preferred method, but the top set is a recipe for great things!
        Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 08-18-2014, 09:45 AM.
        Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

sauce looks to be the bomb,yes i am going to try this for sure,never done the CSR but hey i may just have to break down and do them too
          sigpic
          GO GATORS.
          Raymond Cato
          MOJO SMOKEHOUSE BBQ TEAM.
          125 Gallon Stickburner yet to be named
          BBQ GRILLWARE STAINLESS CHARCOAL
          2 ecbs
          bbq pro offset
          18.5"WSM
          22" WSM
          22" WEBER OTS
          smoked meat member #57

Comment

Hey, Douglas - it's good either way...CSRs, spares, baby backs - even using it as a sauce for pulled pork. The flavour profile is a great one for smoked/barbecued pork no matter how you use it!
            Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 08-18-2014, 10:33 AM.
            Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Hey Ron,
              Thanks for bumping up this thread!! I missed it the first time, but cant wait to try it. I love Carribean style recipes for the citrus infused flavor, although Im a wuss with the Scotch Bonnet heat. This looks like a great version of a citrus flavored sauce without the heat. worthy for a fine looking way to do CSR's.
              Mike
              Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
              POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
              Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

I also missed this first thyme around... I like the looks of that sauce!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Can you please adopt me! Wow does that looks awesome! Thank you for sharing and making my stomach growl!
                  Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
                  Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
                  A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
                  A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
                  Frogmats
                  Maverick ET 732
                  Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, guys - give this a try, you will definitely like it. My pix up there aren't the best but you get the idea. The main thing is that this sauce is loaded with everything that produces that wonderful thing we call UMAMI, and that can't be beat!
                    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

I am roasting a 5-pound pork shoulder roast (boneless butt) today and am preparing this sauce to go with it; sort of a Hawaiian pulled pork dinner.

For the roast, traditional barbecue enthusiasts might want to skip this paragraph, because I am breaking a few rules. After patting the roast dry, I gave it a light dusting of Morton's Tender Quick, followed by an equally-light brushing of Wright's liquid smoke. After letting the roast sit a few minutes, I brushed on some mustard and gave it a liberal coating of a typical barbecue rub from Cabela's that is a bit on the sweet side, to balance the TQ. I then placed it in my enameled cast-iron Dutch oven, then into our oven - uncovered - at 230 degrees for an hour or so; then 240 degrees for an hour or so. Just a moment ago, I brought the oven up to 250, and in an hour or so I will cover the Dutch oven and leave it be for the duration of the cooking. I have prepared "faux-q" this way several times, with surprisingly good results; the house currently smells smoky and barbecuey, and I am sure the pork will be good. Having said that, I am eager for spring to arrive, so I can prepare barbecue the way it is meant to be prepared.

Anyway, for the sauce, I am preparing my slightly-modified version of the original recipe posted above, which we got from the maternal grandmother of The Beautiful Mrs. Tas. Here is my adaptation:

1 large onion, diced
                      4 cloves of garlic, minced
                      4 tablespoons dark brown sugar
                      1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
                      5 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
                      1 20-ish oz can of crushed pineapple
                      1 29-ish oz can of tomato sauce
                      Salt and pepper, to taste

My preparation of this sauce was typical:

I cooked the onions in a little bacon fat until they just started to get a some colour, plus another 3 or so minutes. I then added the garlic and stirred everything around for a minute or two.

I then added the rest of the ingredients and stirred the sauce well, bringing it just to a boil. I then reduced the heat to the lowest setting and simmered it for an hour or so, covered.

A moment ago, I blitzed the sauce with my wand blender and will continue to simmer it, covered, at least another hour. After that, I'll check on it and continue to simmer, covered or uncovered as needed to maintain the desired saucy consistency. The sauce will darken and reduce a bit as it cooks and, as it has before, will gain a wonderful, savory, umami-filled character. I cannot stress enough how important extended simmering is for this sauce; it seems to need a minimum of four hours of simmering in order to leap from "very good" to "absolutely spectacular," but as always, the longer you can simmer it, the better.

Worthy of note: the soy sauce that I used for this was the last of my bottle of Aloha Shoyu low-sodium soy sauce that we brought back from Oregon last year. Thus is hands-down the best soy sauce that I have yet tried. We are able to get "regular" Aloha Shoyu here, but the low-sodium is nowhere to be found locally. I'll see if I can locate it online, as it is a superior ingredient, in my opinion.

I expect everything to go well and do not anticipate any problems with this preparation. The combination of this sauce and pork is a match made in Heaven!
                      Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

The final product looks great! Going to put this recipe on my 'to do' list. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Tender Quick "for a few minutes" on a 5lbs. roast??? What is your benefit to that? just curious. Thanks.
                          sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Good read on the ingredients of Tender Quick can be found here;

https://www.mortonsalt.com/home-prod...-tender-quick/
                            Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Nice! I may have to steal, er, borrow that sauce recipe. Point!
                              sigpic
                              The Old Fat Guy
                              Author of The Old Fat Guy's Guide to Smoking Meat - For Beginners
                              Star of You Can Make It on ShawTV Kootenays
                              Food Blog: oldfatguy.ca
                              Traeger Timberline 850 & WSM Mini

Comment

nice change up for BBQ...not sure how i missed this the first time..........much less the second time!
                                sigpic
                                it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Working...
                                X