Found frozen ribs in freezer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found frozen ribs in freezer

I was going through the deep freeze to look for something to smoke this weekend and found some ribs that had been buried. They are cryovaced and have always been frozen, but the dates are from 2 years ago. Should I toss them or should I go ahead and smoke them? I will defrost in the fridge. I hate to throw away $40 worth of meat, but I will if it will make me sick or turn out rubbery or dry because of being frozen for so long. They don't look freezer burned, but I'll be able to tell more after they defrost.

Thanks!

Better than finding unfrozen ones eh?

Give ‘em a look and a sniff. Then cook them.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Well if freezer burnt you can always make a stock with them.

Comment

I agree with Rich. As long as the cryovac package is still sealed they should be good.
        Jim

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
          I agree with Rich. As long as the cryovac package is still sealed they should be good.
          I thought this also until my wife's friend was cleaning out her mom's deep freeze cause she was on hospice. They asked me to smoke them for them. When the rack thawed I could see the spots of freezer burn. They got pitched and went bought 2 racks for them. I thought cryovac lasted much longer but these were a little over a year old.
          sigpic

Comment

Smoke and eat.
            Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
            Yoder YS640
            Weber Genesis
            Weber 18.5" Kettle
            Weber Performer
            Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
              I thought this also until my wife's friend was cleaning out her mom's deep freeze cause she was on hospice. They asked me to smoke them for them. When the rack thawed I could see the spots of freezer burn. They got pitched and went bought 2 racks for them. I thought cryovac lasted much longer but these were a little over a year old.
              That means they weren't totally sealed. They could have gotten pin-holes after they were frozen. Being bounced into the corners of other frozen packages or the bones hitting other frozen packages can cause the pin-holes. Either way if they had freezer burn, the packages weren't sealed.
              Jim

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
                That means they weren't totally sealed. They could have gotten pin-holes after they were frozen. Being bounced into the corners of other frozen packages or the bones hitting other frozen packages can cause the pin-holes. Either way if they had freezer burn, the packages weren't sealed.
                Probably, just something for Lomey to watch out for. You'll be able to see it before smelling.
                sigpic

Comment

But ya wont know till ya thaw em out and open the package...I'm betting they will be fine...
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys. Put them in the fridge and will see what they look like when defrosted then give them smell test. I figured they would be fine, but knew I could get some great advice here to put my mind at ease. I let you guys know what the outcome is.

Comment

So, how did it go?

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I'd defrost um an give um a look see! Spots of freezer burn - just slice eet off, it just dehydrated, that all. Freezer burn not dangerous, just taste chitty. Cookum up!!!!
                        Mark
                        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Look 'em over and then consider it a "SCORE"!

Kinda like putting on your jacket at the beginning of the year and finding a lost $20 in the pocket!
                          BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                          Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                          I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                            Look 'em over and then consider it a "SCORE"!

Kinda like putting on your jacket at the beginning of the year and finding a lost $20 in the pocket!

LOL---Or back when I used to Smoke, and come Deer season I got my Orange Hunting coat out & there was a full pack of Marlboro in the pocket !!
                            Not as good as a $20 bill, but it was a nice surprise.

Bear
                            Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Working...
                            X