Venison brine????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venison brine????

Has anyone brined venison to maintain juiciness? I know the go to is bacon wrap venison on the smoker or grill but I would like to maintain that venison flavor. I've grilled backstraps and sweet meat with pretty good success without drying it out but I wanted to try some venison in the smoker.

I can't say I've ever seen anyone brine red meat. Does it work? Or is there a better way?

I saw in a post somewhere on here that someone smoked an entire hind quarter. That sounds like something I'd like to try if I am fortunate enough to tag a deer this year.

Not a brine, but we often soak in buttermilk overnight!
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I would use Mad Hunky Nekkid Brine. That way you could add any spices you want for flavor or no spices for just the pure venison flavor.
      I have used it on beef & lamb, and it worked excellent.
      Last edited by BYBBQ; 08-01-2017, 08:13 AM. Reason: fat fingers & small keys
      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
        I would use Mad Hunky Nekkid Brine. That way you could add any spices you want for flavor or no spices for just the pure venison flavor.
        I have used it on beef & lamb, and it worked excellent.

A Definite X 2.

Bear
        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Absolutely worth it...I have used the MH Nekkid on beef with great results...I cant imagine that it wouldn't be excellent on venison...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

Not to preach to the choir...but Nekkid and your seasonings..or..lack thereof... will ensure a juicy tender product. Most likely anyway. You don’t take Vennie to 3214°F right?
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Salt H2O brine without any flavoring will make your meat juicy. Swims,fly's or fart on the range, it don't matter!

Comment

I guess I need some Nekkid Brine. Had a feeling that might come up in the conversation. I stop just shy of 3214°F so it ends up there after a few minute rest, got to keep the wife happy.

Comment

Google venison pastrami. I brined and smoked a deer quarter once upon a time and it turned out very good. I can't find the recipe though.
                  z
                  sigpic
                  GMG Daniel Boone
                  UDS
                  Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
                  Vision Kamado grill
                  Weber Genesis Silver
                  Smokin Tex
                  MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
                  Maverick ET 732
                  Brown and lime green ThermaPens
                  2 orange ThermoPops
                  A-Maze-N Tube 18"
                  A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
                  Vortex

Comment

I usually marinade venison.

red wine, bayleaves, few splashes worcestershire sauce, pepper some garlic - leave overnight.

If it's an old deer or shoulder then go 50/50 red wine and coke.
                    Coke helps to break down the tough muscle fibres.
                    If you use it with a smaller younger animal the meat can get a little mushy - kinda like bad SV.

Coke is also good for cleaning your drains. jewellery & toilets. Why on earth people drink it, I have no idea

It's essentially a mixture of neat acids.
                    Phosphoric acid, citric acid, carbonic acid.
                    Just evil stuff.
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

We all have to die of something in the end I suppose. OD'ing on Coca-Cola seems as good (although an unlikely) away to go as any other one might think up.

I always guffaw inside a little when I hear of how submerging a roofing nail or deck screw in a glass of Coke will eat it away to nothing in 4 short days or whatever the timeframe is usually quoted at.

Funny how no one seems to add the caveat that a glass of Coke doesn't sit in your stomach much longer than 10 minutes or so in the first place, huh?...

Just my $0.02, anyways.
                      ==============

Drinking is like playing golf... you'd best be prepared to play every club in your bag.

Steve the Bartender

There are no bad briskets... only poorly executed ones.

Steve the Food Man

Comment

Working...
                      X