4 Pepper & Cheese Summer Sausage w/ SV Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Pepper & Cheese Summer Sausage w/ SV Questions

Well, I figured I like Jalapeno & Cheese summer sausage so much that it has to be better with even more peppers, right? So along with jalapeno's I also put in red & green bell peppers, habanero, and some Anaheim peppers that I had dehydrated from my garden a couple years ago.
    20 lbs = 60/40 mix beef/elk and pork.

Dehydrated Pepper Qty:
    1 C. japs
    3/4 C. each Red & Green Bell Peppers
    1/2 C. Habanero
    1 C. Anaheim

The test patty was awesome: pretty good heat that lingered and grew at the back of your mouth with each successive bite. I've noticed that heat changes considerably from the test patty to fully cooked though.

This was also a first with finishing summer sausage with the SV machine. I finally re-purposed a cube cooler just for this. This really up-ends my regular sausage process.

And this is where I had a some questions. I'm hoping some members can chime in here since I'm still trying to grasp the SV gig.

1) I smoked/cooked these pretty heavy for about 7 hours. Is there a guideline for what the IT temp should be before putting into the SV? Or does it even matter except for how much "smokiness" you want?

2) Do you need to bloom the sausage from the smoker before the SV? This is letting the IT temp drop considerably.

3) Do you need to ice water bath after the SV? I found a couple different answers online...(My guess would be NO - and I didn't)

4) I noticed that after the SV that there was some juice that collected inside the vac bags. (just like from doing a steak) I don't mind but it's an aesthetic thing...it didn't look like rendered fat though. Not sure but would it help if I staggered the SV temps up gradually? (like a smoker)

Hope these questions make sense if I elaborated enough. Any help / insight would be appreciated.

I would say that this is by far the moistest sausage I have produced. That's why so many questions above so I can hone my SV methods...

Mixture:

Stuffed:

Before:

After Smoking:

Blooming:

Before the SV:

Packaged (Before SV):

Into the SV:

After SV

Fully finished:

Thanks for looking!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Uncle Sauce; 09-24-2017, 01:44 PM.
    ~ George Burns

sigpic

Got no pix?

One question..use cure? Well..2- did the IT hit 140 within short of 4 hours?
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      Got no pix?

One question..use cure? Well..2- did the IT hit 140 within short of 4 hours?
      Yes, I did use cure. Pix aren't showing on your end? Let me mess around with them...

On edit Rich: I pulled from smoker at 140 IT
      Last edited by Uncle Sauce; 09-24-2017, 01:51 PM.
      ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

No pics here...
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sauce View Post
          Yes, I did use cure. Pix aren't showing on your end? Let me mess around with them...
          Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
          No pics here...
          Looks like one bad pic - I'll keep messing with it. Did the rest show up guys?
          ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Looks like one bad pic - I'll keep messing with it. Did the rest show up guys?
            I got pics...Beautiful pics...That has to be some great SS...

I'll be back when I have points
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

That's some great looking SS.

Comment

140’s a bit low...one shoots for 153. But..a PERFECT application of SV now. It will tighten them up and meld flavors. Try a couple packs and compare.
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

140’s a bit low...one shoots for 153. But..a PERFECT application of SV now. It will tighten them up and meld flavors. Try a couple packs and compare.
                  Thanks Rich! Well, I pulled from the smoker at 140 (then bloomed) then into the SV set at 157 degrees. Held that for about 5 hours. Does that compensate enough?
                  ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                    I got pics...Beautiful pics...That has to be some great SS...

I'll be back when I have points
                    Thanks Smoke - I think a pepperhead like yourself would enjoy

Originally posted by TKOBBQ View Post
                    That's some great looking SS.
                    Thanks TKOBBQ!
                    ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Looks like a bunch of tasty eatin'
                      Jim

Comment

Thanks Rich! Well, I pulled from the smoker at 140 (then bloomed) then into the SV set at 157 degrees. Held that for about 5 hours. Does that compensate enough?
                        An hour or so would have been good... but you should be fine. 153 next time.

PS: Trade for a log? :{)

Comment

Damn fine looking summer sausage Unc! I think I have some extra for that.
                          sigpic
                          Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Beautiful Job, Unc!!!---

Making me Hungry, and I just Ate!!!

Nice Job!!

Bear
                            Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

An hour or so would have been good... but you should be fine. 153 next time.

PS: Trade for a log? :{)
                              Heck yes - PM me your address. As much Mad Hunky as I use I owe ya! I appreciate the help Rich!

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
                              Looks like a bunch of tasty eatin'
                              Thanks BYBBQ

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                              Damn fine looking summer sausage Unc! I think I have some extra for that.
                              I appreciate that Bassman!

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                              Beautiful Job, Unc!!!---

Making me Hungry, and I just Ate!!!

Nice Job!!

Bear
                              Thanks Bear!
                              ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X