If at first you don't succeed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If at first you don't succeed...

My first try with Pork Shoulder on the smoker was more like sliced pork, this oven batch pulled but I'm kinda lazy so I took the cleaver to it. Mexican style... oregano, garlic & cumin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great!
    sigpic

Comment

Looks great from here! I know I'd enjoy a plate like that for sure.
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

With a plate that looked like that I wouldn't complain.

Ifin your pork isn't pulling cook it longer. IT of around 203+ is what you're shooting for.
        Bored Guy Blog

Comment

If at first you don't succeed...

Originally posted by Jailer View Post
          With a plate that looked like that I wouldn't complain.

Ifin your pork isn't pulling cook it longer. IT of around 203+ is what you're shooting for.

I'm really proud of those plates, I found the shoulders for .99 cents a lb. rice, beans & tortillas are cheap, the soup kitchen does the salad & desert. Those were one of the better plates I've served and the cost was less than $1 each!!!

This forum is about quality, I'm on to put quality in my quantity.

Last edited by HornedToad; 09-28-2017, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Are you still cooking/serving for Hurricane relief?
            sigpic

Comment

Damned fine plate, especially at that price point.

And it’s true that a bit more quality can be had for very little cost.

Nice work!
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                Are you still cooking/serving for Hurricane relief?

I was scheduled in advance for my monthly cook at the soup kitchen on the managers Birthday off, the Rockport trip was arranged just the week before. So I got home from the coast Tuesday night and put the shoulders in the oven Wednesday morning.

My wife is cooking chili for the soup kitchen Halloween, and in NOV & DEC instead of cooking I help them get things for their holiday dinners. I'm going to take a break until next year.

Comment

Great lookin' plates

Once you get comfortable cooking to internal temp and not by time you'll see a big jump in the quality and consistency of your cooks.
                  Jim

Comment

Originally posted by HornedToad View Post
                    I was scheduled in advance for my monthly cook at the soup kitchen on the managers Birthday off, the Rockport trip was arranged just the week before. So I got home from the coast Tuesday night and put the shoulders in the oven Wednesday morning.

My wife is cooking chili for the soup kitchen Halloween, and in NOV & DEC instead of cooking I help them get things for their holiday dinners. I'm going to take a break until next year.

Bravo! Thanks for all you do for folks.
                    The world needs more folks like you
                    sigpic

Comment

If you find need of rubs and or brines please let me know. I’m always willing to help.

<Bow>
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                        Bravo! Thanks for all you do for folks.
                        The world needs more folks like you
                        X2!! It's a wonderful thing you are doing! And wow, the plates look great!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Nice Job, HT !!

Pulled---Chopped---It's ALL good !!

And Yours looks Great !!---

Bear
                          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                            Nice Job, HT !!

Pulled---Chopped---It's ALL good !!

And Yours looks Great !!---

Bear
                            x2 - Way to go!
                            ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
                              Great lookin' plates

Once you get comfortable cooking to internal temp and not by time you'll see a big jump in the quality and consistency of your cooks.
                              I've always cooked to time to serve at a certain hour. I liked to serve hot off the smoker / grill and never felt comfortable letting food sit.

I had an experience last month that is about to convince me to go to IT.
                              I cooked for a friend of mine that was having a birthday party and she picked everything up at noon but held it in her ovens until the party at 6pm. She has eatin' with us on many occasions and said the food was just as good as fresh off.

My next big smoke I'm going to start several hours early on my time method, open the box on my Maverick and cook to IT, then hold in my MPS. That smoker oven is going to change the way I cook in the field.

Comment

Working...
                              X