CP Italian Snack Stix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CP Italian Snack Stix

Thought I would mix up a batch of snack stix using Rich's Checkered Past Italian sausage mix. I only had 10 lbs ground and didn't feel like busting out the grinder...
    Started with 10 lbs. 50/50 pork / beef mix. The only thing I added to the seasoning was:

1 C. red wine
    1-1/2 C. soy protein concentrate
    4 TBSP red pepper flakes
    2 TBSP dextrose
    3 TBSP fermento
    2 TSP cure

Stuffed in a 22mm collagen casing - Had a brain cramp and tried using the wrong size stuffing horn...I was wondering why my casings weren't fitting well

Smoked with hickory: 120 for 1 hour to dry up and then staggered to 130 and started the smoke in the AMAZN then to 150 then finished them at 170 and pulled right at 152 IT.

We got some snow over the weekend and used that to cool them down - that's about the only time I like the snow
    I think they turned out darn good - Love the CP Italian mix (Thanks Rich) and it's about the right amount of heat for me. Moisture was spot on I believe. I might trim down the pepper flakes to 3 TBSP next time (some of my taste testers (ie: wife unit) thought it was a bit hot.

Tried the label maker for the vac bags - We'll see if these adhere in the freezer for long.
    Now I remember why I usually do 20 lbs. batches - these don't go too far in a 10 lb batch and you still have the same amount of cleanup!

Thanks for looking!

Attached Files
    ~ George Burns

sigpic

Nice looking batch of sticks! I'm with you on making more that 10# at a time. I have to break out the grinder to run the mixer anyway, so it's an easy decision to grind more if needed.

Points cops got me. Be back tomorrow.
    sigpic
    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Gotcha covered Keith.

They look absolutely fantastic! You the man.

Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
      My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
      @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Beauty stix! reminds me... I’m running low on Daryl’s mix... I have to have him call my spice house and release me another batch soon. He <Checkered Past> retains the rights on the recipe after all. All I do is have it on the site :{)
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
          Nice looking batch of sticks! I'm with you on making more that 10# at a time. I have to break out the grinder to run the mixer anyway, so it's an easy decision to grind more if needed.

Points cops got me. Be back tomorrow.
          Thanks Bassman!

Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
          Gotcha covered Keith.

They look absolutely fantastic! You the man.

Appreciate that Smokin!

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          Beauty stix! reminds me... I’m running low on Daryl’s mix... I have to have him call my spice house and release me another batch soon. He <Checkered Past> retains the rights on the recipe after all. All I do is have it on the site :{)
          Thanks Rich - Let me know what you think when you get the package. I just ordered another bag to have on hand but no rush!
          ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Nice !

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
              Nice !

Thank ya Fish!

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
              Awesome Sticks Unc!!---
              Nice Job!!

Bear
              Need to trade you some stix for some of your Prime Rib Thanks Bear
              ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Looks wonderful!!! Great Christmas gifts there if they last that long!!
                Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                Yoder YS640
                Weber Genesis
                Weber 18.5" Kettle
                Weber Performer
                Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sauce View Post
                  Thank ya Fish!

Need to trade you some stix for some of your Prime Rib Thanks Bear

If we were neighbors I'd be all over that idea!!!

Bear
                  Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                  Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Awesome looking sticks!!!!

10 pounds will not be enough. I just made 7 pounds of sticks 2 weeks ago and I'm down to the last few bits. Once the co-workers & relatives find out there are sticks they seem to vanish quickly. I suspect yours will also...
                    Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

Fine looking stix sir!! all day for that masterpiece!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Sauce,,, Them look good,,, Nice job,,,
                        Desert Storm Vet - USS Midway CV41 - decom crew.
                        1930 Fridge Build
                        MES 30" With Mailbox Mod
                        Therma Pen
                        Maverick 732
                        Mini Therma Pen
                        Frog Mats
                        Weber Junior
                        AMPS & AMPTS

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
                          Looks wonderful!!! Great Christmas gifts there if they last that long!!
                          Might have to make another batch for Christmas - Thanks Bark!

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                          If we were neighbors I'd be all over that idea!!!

Bear
                          Yeah, too bad PR doesn't ship well!

Originally posted by dward51 View Post
                          Awesome looking sticks!!!!

10 pounds will not be enough. I just made 7 pounds of sticks 2 weeks ago and I'm down to the last few bits. Once the co-workers & relatives find out there are sticks they seem to vanish quickly. I suspect yours will also...
                          They definitely go quick - thanks Dward!

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                          Fine looking stix sir!! all day for that masterpiece!!
                          Thank ya Hawg!

Originally posted by driedstick View Post
                          Sauce,,, Them look good,,, Nice job,,,
                          Thanks driedstick - your stix you put out look great as well!
                          ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Your GENEROUS sample arrived today. Most excellent! I like the heat level..but I understand the limitations..every man has to know his limitations

Thank you kind sir..I will enjoy these very much!
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                            X