This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inside out casings.

Sometimes when you buy natural casings they are already turned inside out. But sometimes they are not. After you soak your natural casing in water and rinse off the salt from storage, I always turn them inside out if needed. Why do I do this you ask????? Its easy to do, you another chance to clean the other side of the casing and for the appearance (which is most important to me). Some times you get these little white strings on the outside of the casings. Once you turn them inside out, you can no longer see them.

One of the most important things to do if you choose to try this, is to make sure that you cut the casing your arm span in length. If it is longer than that, it will get difficult to do and it stands a chance on getting all tangled up.
    Last edited by DDave; 09-17-2017, 11:11 AM.
    sigpic

Originally posted by bb53chevpro View Post
    One of the most important things to do if you choose to try this, is to make sure that you cut the casing your arm span in length.
    Soo..I made a bunch of breakfast links the other day- one atta time...

Seriously, this REALLY improves the appearance of your product, and guarentees a good cleaning on the casing. Well worth the effort, folks!
    Last edited by Richtee; 09-01-2009, 04:19 PM.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

And it's fun too. I have to go to the bathroom now.

Comment

Rather condom - esque !

:O

Comment

You guys quit playin with your sheep casings!
          Keith

Comment

Oh Andy, wife looked over my sholder to see what i was laughing so hard at..

She thought I had gone to a Adult site that was makeing Natural condoms,,

No honey its just Sausage caseings being turned... Makeing sasuage now....lol

Good info Andy and good post....points
            sigpic

Comment

Appreciate that, my fumble fingers & casings don't get along. So Linda Lou does that gig. Showed her this & she's gonna do it next sausage date!
              Sunset Eagle Aviation
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Thanks for the post up Andy,,, I always wash them out really good, but will try turning them next time..

Jeff

Comment

Dunno how I could improve on the look of my sausages ;-) - but I might give this a try for laughs next time my mate comes over for a sausage making session :-)

Just out of curiosity how would you tell if they'd already been turned inside out ?
                  Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Thanks for the post, Andy. I'll give it a try the next time I make sausage.

It does kind of remind you of a condom, though.
                    Dawn

New Braunfels Bandera "Grail"
                    Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill
                    1 Maverick ET-73
                    1 Green Thermapen

member #38

Comment

Lets seeit again with sheep casing's
                      2-22.5'' weber
                      1-18'' weber
                      1 smokey joe
                      22.5'' wsm
                      24'' smoke vault
                      1-outhouse
                      Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                      Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Thanks for the demo Andy...always wondered how you guys did that!!
                        Gene

sigpic

The Farm...
                        http://gardenofeatn-rhf.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                          Dunno how I could improve on the look of my sausages ;-) - but I might give this a try for laughs next time my mate comes over for a sausage making session :-)

Just out of curiosity how would you tell if they'd already been turned inside out ?
                          As you clean the casing, you should feel and/or see the strands.
                          The next time I turn casings I will take some close up pictures to better show this.
                          sigpic

Comment

I did my first Kielbasa this morning and cased them. I left a couple stips of casing as is after washing and turned the others inside out as you suggested. The esthetics of the inside out links is better by far. I will turn em inside out all the time now.
                            sigpic

My Facebook page
                            http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...Q/131613189083

Comment

I did try this a while ago, ended up standing on a chair arms above my head over the sink.
                              Would have made a truly bizarre photo lol
                              had to give up in the end.
                              haven't tried it since and the little white strands disappear as soon as the sausages go near heat.

Had another friend come round today I've not seen for a few years - he's keen to have ago at sausage making too, so might try it again when he does - I can the get the picture of a man standing on a stepladder holding inside out sausage casing lol ;-)
                              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                              X