? on Old Morton Meat Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? on Old Morton Meat Pump

Picked this up last year at the Goodwill for 2 bucks. Seems like it will work just fine, especially since my cajun cooker injector cracked on me, cheap ass plastic. I am wondering about he washers inside this thing. They are 2 leather washers, so to speak that make up the plunger. Although they are not dried out, they are certainly not as pliable as they should be. Any hints on to revitalize them? Soak them in veggy oil?

https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Theoretically veg oil can turn rancid. I would use mineral oil. That is what I use on all my wooden cutting boards and wooden knife handles. We also used to use glycerin on veterinary syringes that used fiber washers and gaskets.
    sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

MH what a steal!
      I have also heard about mineral oil, I think there is a food grade oil to for things like that.. read it somewhere in here...

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by mulepackin View Post
        Theoretically veg oil can turn rancid. I would use mineral oil. That is what I use on all my wooden cutting boards and wooden knife handles. We also used to use glycerin on veterinary syringes that used fiber washers and gaskets.
        Right after I hit the send button, it dawned on me about the veg oil getting rancid. Wondered about the mineral oil. It's ok to use that with food items? I know my dad would put it on his knife handles.

Comment

Neat find! .... I too have a cracked Cajun Injector.... Save the needle, if it's like mine it will fit on the SS one I recently bought @ Lowes for $10.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
            MH what a steal!
            I have also heard about mineral oil, I think there is a food grade oil to for things like that.. read it somewhere in here...
            Yeah, I seen it and couldn't pass it up, even if I never used it, it was just too cool. Uncle Tykie over at smf referred to it as my embalming needle LOL.

Were you thinking of food grade silicon spray? I have some of that. I wonder if that could be used as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
              Right after I hit the send button, it dawned on me about the veg oil getting rancid. Wondered about the mineral oil. It's ok to use that with food items? I know my dad would put it on his knife handles.
              A little bit of mineral oil won't hurt you. It's used by some as a laxative (not me). The concern when using it orally is aspiration if vomited. Really hard on the lungs. We use a pretty big dose to stimulate a BM in calves with a particular kind of GI infection.
              sigpic

Comment

I do not know what the seals look like but would rubber gaskets or the like make a suitable replacement? They make those in all sizes.

Comment

Originally posted by ijusthvit View Post
                  I do not know what the seals look like but would rubber gaskets or the like make a suitable replacement? They make those in all sizes.
                  Maybe you can get rubber orings...I have included a sizing chart for your reference per AS 568 Standard. Orings have two dimensions...the ID and the cross sectional area which will determine the OD (ID + 2X Cross sectional area = OD). They are sold by dash number as well. It might be worth a shot to revitalize what otherwise looks like an awesome find. If you can determine what you need I may be able to hook you up or get you some samples to try...shoot me a PM.

http://www.marcorubber.com/sizingchart.htm
                  Last edited by BBQ Engineer; 12-10-2010, 07:39 AM.
                  BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                  Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                  I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Hey Todd wht don't you pick up some of that food grade grease they make food food service equipment I use it on the rubber seal on the stuffer and on the gears of the meat slicer
                    sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
                    members mark upright propane smoker
                    kingsford bbq
                    23"weber kettle

Comment

Thanks guys for the input. I think I am going to give the mineral oil a shot first and see how that goes. I thought about O-rings, but didn't know what I would use to fill in the center so the plunger has something to hold onto. I like ijusthvit idea, a rubber washer would fit perfect between the two brass washers, and it won't absorb liquids like the leather. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Another possible option for you, if you have a vet supply or good farm and ranch supply near you, might be the washers from a veterinary pistol grip vaccine gun or syringe. I actually use an old one for my meat pump. There are a variety of fiber and rubber washers, plunger parts and seals used in these. Some might fit.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jimh View Post
                          Hey Todd wht don't you pick up some of that food grade grease they make food food service equipment I use it on the rubber seal on the stuffer and on the gears of the meat slicer
                          is called lubri-plate, bet you can get some from your butcher... there also is a non food grade lubri-plate, use it for engine assembly when doing a rebuild. is a white creamy grease. the stuff you want will be marked food grade if you choose this route.
                          Charbroil SFB
                          GOSM
                          MES
                          Dutch Ovens and other CI
                          Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                          Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Cool find

I love "picking" at thrift stores. That looks like it will work great.

Comment

Working...
                            X