Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I will make turkey day!!!

I WILL MAKE TURKEY DAY!!!

I worked on it until nighttime on Friday and Saturday, and Sunday after church I got it to a point where I can cook the turkeys in it! WOOHOO!!

The smoker needs a lot of welding still, and I plan on doing that in the afternoons under shop light. The smoker is sealed inside and is completely insulated, so even if I don't get the outside welding done I will still be able to use it. All I need to do is install the door gaskets, weld on the drain nipple and ball valve and It will be all sealed up and ready to use. I will not worry about exhaust closures right now, I am going to just fill the un-needed exhaust with aluminum foil for the time being. I plan on using the tuning plates for this cook. My wife added a ham to the cooking list for Thanksgiving, so if I choose to try the vertical for that, I'll need to build at least one rack for the vertical. May just stick it in the electric smoker and not worry about that right now....main thing is I can cook the turkeys in here! I will probably do a full burn out on Wednesday; I am off Wednesday so I will probably do a burn out in the morning, then I will play with the tuning plates to see if I can even the horizontal temps out in preparation for Thursday's cook.

I AM STOKED AND BEAT!!!
    Last edited by Bkndsdl; 11-23-2015, 11:07 AM.
    -Mike in Alabama

Why do we park in a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
    My DBS
    My Insulated Hybrid

Wow! That is a lot of work you have done in a short time! Congratulations and I know those turkeys will be awesome!!!
    Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
    Weber Smokey Joe
    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
    Pink Thermapen
    Purple Thermapen

Comment

Thanks!! I've been working on it since the beginning of the year. The wife and boys are chomping at the bit for turkey in it and I'm ready to oblige!
      -Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
      My DBS
      My Insulated Hybrid

Comment

You a crazy smoker building fool!! Looking great!! Cant wait to see the finished product!!
        Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
        Yoder YS640
        Weber Genesis
        Weber 18.5" Kettle
        Weber Performer
        Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

How did your smoker do with the turkeys?
          Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
          Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
          1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
          Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
          Weber Smokey Joe
          Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
          Pink Thermapen
          Purple Thermapen

Comment

Wow that should handle a few turkeys! Looks like a very nice rig you are building there!
            Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
            Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
            A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
            A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
            Frogmats
            Maverick ET 732
            Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys! I was able to smoke one turkey on it, I played it safe and cooked the other in the MES. It turned out ok, but it wasn't my best because the smoker ran a bit hotter than I wanted it to. Other than that I was very pleased with the way it operated, but it will definitely take me a few smokes to get her dialed in. I plan on smoking some ribs this weekend in it and I'll definitely post pics of that one.
              -Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
              My DBS
              My Insulated Hybrid

Comment

Good on ya! dern sure a smoking machine ya building!
                Sunset Eagle Aviation
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                  Good on ya! dern sure a smoking machine ya building!
                  Thanks man!

Well I decided to do some tests to see if I could dial it in a bit more, so I put my Maverick to work. Turns out that the therms were reading waaaaay low, which means I was cooking that turkey waaaaaaaaaay too hot......I am thinking that the probes don't stick out of the doors enough to get a more accurate reading. So Friday I put two chimneys of lump in it, one pecan stick, and lit the fire. Playing with it a bit I got her to run 250 on the top racks for almost 5 hours...... One happy guy!

Right now I've got it loaded with two racks of ribs, some drip beans, and a few pork steaks. I have gotten it set at 230 on the top rack closest to the firebox and 220 on the one farthest....... I am amazed at how little fuel I need to maintain temps......pretty stoked about now.
                  -Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
                  My DBS
                  My Insulated Hybrid

Comment

I bought a TEL-TRU thermo for my Longhorn with a 4 inch probe...Gets the temp reading very close to what the Maverick is reading...However on a rig like yours 4 inches may not be enough to matter...
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X