Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MH's Honey Cure Fish Brine

Hey all!

Finally got outta the house and went camping. Saved a few to try out RT's Honey Cure. Turned out really good.

In famous Rich style...had to call to get the instructions, even after ready all the previous posts! Liberal shake of fish cure on both sides, 24 hour soak, and into a 150* smoker for an hour, then kicked up to 180 for another hour or so. Actually talked to Rich as I was shutting down the smoker and at that point, I wasn't real impressed. Once they cooled down in the fridge, huge difference and the two fillets that I pulled were quickly gobbled up by the kids. Will vac pack tomorrow.

Here are the pictures

Cure ON!

24 hour soak

Just finished and flipped for a bit of drainage

And the finished batch

Damn good stuff, Rich. Thanks!

And some miscellaneous picts along the way...

Gorgeous double sunset.
    Facing West

Same spot, 3 seconds later, facing East

And the honorary crayfish boil, WOK style

Potatoes and Andouille - 5 min, Crawfish - 5 min, Corn and shrimp - 5 min, kill the fire, let set 10 minutes, and mack down!!

Thanks for checking out my Honey Cure experiment and my camping trip!

Tracey

Looks like you smoked a bunch, Glad it came out good.

Nice LC Boil, good eatin' there.
    Jim

Comment

Hmmm, still waiting for this stuff to be available to purchase.

Comment

Wow Tracey, all that looks delicious!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

All looks Great Tracey!!-----

Beautiful Pics Too!!

Bear
          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Thanks everyone! Sampled it again this morning and it just seems to get better and better!

My most favorite way to use smoked trout - bagel shmeear.
            1 package plain cream cheese
            2 fillets of smoked trout
            fine chopped onions
            fine chopped capers
            ~1/2 cup shredded cheddar.

YUM-YUM!

Comment

Originally posted by WALLE View Post
              Thanks everyone! Sampled it again this morning and it just seems to get better and better!
              Like most all cured/smoked products..a little chill time is important. Sometime ALOT of chill time, but not for fish. A couple days is best.

If vac packed will last a couple weeks easy. Freezing is OK... texture suffers a bit, but it’s edible enough.

I have done some filets vac-packed after 4 hours cool smoke and then brought to 145 sous vide for an hour and never opened..that have sat in the fridge over a month...fine.
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

That all sure looks good Tracey! Really like the looks of the low country crawdad boil.
                sigpic
                Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                  That all sure looks good Tracey! Really like the looks of the low country crawdad boil.
                  Thanks, Keith! I have a few packages with your name on them!

Comment

Nice :{)

Well... it’s on the way. Be on the site likely 1st week Sept.

Thanks Walle..and others who have helped me with the stuff. Your feedback and trials have been invaluable
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I'm looking forward to it! If you recall, they go good with morning coffee.
                      sigpic
                      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Working...
                      X