こんにちは!A Japanese Boner (Honesuki)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• こんにちは!A Japanese Boner (Honesuki)

Ok, so after I got the Work Sharp, everybody in the office had to bring their knives to be sharpened. On of my coworkers brought in a very nice set of Globals an had a Shun Honesuki with a nick in the blade. I sharpened everything for him and admired the Shun. He said they never used it and he wanted me to have it. Wow! This thing is aboot $145.00. It is literally like a razor on a handle. I am surprised at how adept it is at the boning chore, since it is so different in design from western style boners. I have used it to de-bone several bone in pork shoulders and is works remarkably well.

Honesuki:

Just for the jollies, here's a tomato slice made with the honesuki that you literally can read the newspaper through.

Last edited by Snarlingiron; 01-14-2014, 01:21 PM.
    A few of my favorite things:
    Good Whiskey
    Good Food
    Bad Girls
    sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
    Certified Glock Armorer

I'm admiring your boner
    Mike
    Life In Pit Row

Comment

That a "damascus" or folded steel blade? Don't look like it, but I thought those were all made that way.

I bought the Work Sharp KO edition. Sure makes a new edge alot easier. I still use my hand dressers and steel, but when a blade needs WORK... out comes the WS.

On edit..it DOES look a little unwieldy for a boner, but never tried one...
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Nice score, A nice set of knives is on my to get list...
        God, Family and Friends is what it's all about. Great food just brings them all together... First John1:9...
        Weber Performer Gold
        Masterbuilt 26" twins
        Big Chief Electric smoker
        Brinkmann barrel smoker
        LEM sausage stuffer
        Cabela's pro HD grinder
        Maverick ET-732
        ThermoWorks Thermapen
        GrillGrates

Comment

Thin blade?

Sweet looking knife!
          sigpic

Comment

It is a thin high carbon steel center with a stainless steel layer on either side.

Thin blade?
            Yes, it is, and it is sharpened at 16 degrees. Most western kitchen knives are around 22.
            Good Whiskey
            Good Food
            Bad Girls
            sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
            Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Any flex? Or is it a stiff boner? Pretty large for an asian
              sigpicSmoke meat, not crack
              Sullys bangin' ass jerkey-
              Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

Comment

Nice boner.

Never used one of those, and have never seen one. Very. Nice.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Any flex? Or is it a stiff boner? Pretty large for an asian
                  No flex. 4 1/2" blade. Clearly you have had more experience..... Nah it's just too easy.
                  Good Whiskey
                  Good Food
                  Bad Girls
                  sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                  Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Originally posted by Snarlingiron View Post
                    Nah it's just too easy.
                    Discretion is indeed the better part of valor.
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      That a "damascus" or folded steel blade? Don't look like it, but I thought those were all made that way.

I bought the Work Sharp KO edition. Sure makes a new edge a lot easier. I still use my hand dressers and steel, but when a blade needs WORK... out comes the WS.

On edit..it DOES look a little unwieldy for a boner, but never tried one...
                      if you look along the top of the edge rich you can see a wavy line where the next layer of steel starts.

My main meat cutter is a kai shun. And i can't sharpen it to a razor edge with the kit I have.

I'd not buy another one - brittle as all hell. Good knife, but for half the cost you can buy more durable knives that are easier to sharpen.

I did look at those worksharps, too pricey for me at the present. But anything that can get a shun back to factory settings is seriously worth consideration
                      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Nice Boner!!

I think the Geisha Girl would be more fun!!

Bear
                        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I can't bring myself to compliment your -----... I'll just say... Damn nice knife!
                          Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                          Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                          SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                          Yoder Wichita
                          Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                          Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                          Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Working...
                          X