Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 questions

#1.

I'm looking to pick up my own smoker. Right now, I don't have my own, I just cook on our competition pit. Unfortunately I may be forced to get a home Depot or lowes smoker basically because I can put it on my card and pay it off with no interest, so I think my choices are a Brinkman or Oklahoma Joe's. Any one have a suggestion, I basically need to stay under $600-$700.

#2.

I need a slicing knife for brisket and ribs.

#3.

Chicken is a tough category for me. So I am debating recipies that I want to try. Right now I am looking for recipies, plus I want to try cupcake chicken, but need to find an X - large silicone cupcake tray. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your help!

Weber kettles are cheap and work great. Can be had on Craig's list for $50 or under if you watch.
    sigpic

Comment

18.5" - 22.5" WSM?

I have a Wusthof Gourmet slicing knife that I love, but they are kinda spendy. Probably better options that are more affordable others might suggest

Maybe a poultry brine? Personally, I dont brine chicken, but lots do. Check out madhunkymeats.com.
      sigpic

Comment

I'm looking for an offset barrel type, thank you for you response!

Comment

Originally posted by jaketrey32 View Post
          I'm looking for an offset barrel type, thank you for you response!
          You can find those on Craigslist as well. Just do a search of the brand that you're looking for in your area or surrounding areas.
          sigpic
          New Braunfels Bandera
          New Braunfels Hondo
          4-22.5" Weber Kettles
          1-26" Weber Kettle
          24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
          Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

i got my cheap azz chargriller from lowes. Its a piece of crap but i love it. I like this knife: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121038169019 cheap as hell. (See a pattern?) and forget cupcake chicken, last week and his grandpa did that twice
            Last edited by Charcuteryan; 07-07-2014, 09:10 PM.
            sigpicSmoke meat, not crack
            Sullys bangin' ass jerkey-
            Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

Comment

Don't think "Smokin' in the D" KCBS team, qualified for the Sam's Club regionals has scored below 160 on chicken using Mad Hunky brine and rub. 2 1's, a 3... this season.

I use a rapala filet knife for ribs and a 14" Cutco slicer for brisky.
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

[QUOTE=jaketrey32;511651]#1.

I'm looking to pick up my own smoker. Right now, I don't have my own, I just cook on our competition pit. Unfortunately I may be forced to get a home Depot or lowes smoker basically because I can put it on my card and pay it off with no interest, so I think my choices are a Brinkman or Oklahoma Joe's. Any one have a suggestion, I basically need to stay under $600-$700.

Chargriller makes a decent one, and with a few mods, can perform well.

#2.

I need a slicing knife for brisket and ribs.

Look for a scalloped blade that can keep a good edge, nothing is gonna hurt your scores more that cut marks on your brisket. Lotta folks use an electric knife.

#3.

Chicken is a tough category for me. So I am debating recipies that I want to try. Right now I am looking for recipies, plus I want to try cupcake chicken, but need to find an X - large silicone cupcake tray. Any suggestions?

These placed 7/32 in a comp I did a few years back. Boned out the thighs, removed the skin for scraping, then brined with a mix of sugar, salt, apple cider, msg and herbs de provence for 6 hours. Wrapped back in the skin, and placed in a couple of metal muffin tins I picked up at Goodwill.

Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

I ordered a couple items from mad hunkey Sunday!

Comment

Originally posted by jaketrey32 View Post
                    I ordered a couple items from mad hunkey Sunday!
                    And they are on their way..thank you sir!
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Pellet smoker, perhaps? Lowes has the newer Char Griller pellet pusher for $450. I'm lovin' it so far. I use a Goodwill acquired electric knife (5 bucks, like new) for most beef and does a real nice job on the Hollywood cut for ribs. Any restaurant supply will have a decent selection of serrated blade knives fairly inexpensive to see what you like, then invest in a spendy one.....HTH, Willie
                      Char Griller Pellet Smoker
                      Smokin' It #3 electric smoker
                      Stok Tower Charcoal Grill
                      Bubba Keg with Rotisserie Attachment
                      Pro Line Kitchen Aid Grinder
                      Lem 5# Vertical Stuffer
                      Nesco Dehydrator and Jerky Maker

Comment

serrated blades, for meat ?
                        surely they'll leave marks.

Any half decent carving knife - kept sharp, should be fine I would think

cupcake trays

I usually buy my silicon stuff from either a pound shop or a discount retailer of some other kind.
                        But amazon's usually pretty good
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I like an electric knlfe for ribs & brisket.
                          MES 30"
                          A-Maze-N pellet smoker
                          Weber 22" kettle
                          E-Z-Que rotisserie
                          Weber Smokey Joe
                          Big Weber Gasser
                          Cracker Smoker
                          UDS

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                            serrated blades, for meat ?
                            surely they'll leave marks.

Any half decent carving knife - kept sharp, should be fine I would think
                            Amen!
                            Originally posted by L20A View Post
                            I like an electric knlfe for ribs & brisket.
                            Sir..to me it looks to be cut with a hack saw. And if judging, that would be appearance points off.

Comment

I just bought this one. It is like a 14" long razor blade. Perfect for big briskets, and the granton edge keeps the meat from sticking. It is really nice.

http://www.amazon.com/Mercer-Millenn...granton+slicer

Fair warning. I had it on a magnetic bar above my stove. I reached for it about 2 weeks ago and bumped it. It began to fall, and yep, I instinctively grabbed for it and laid open the web between my index finger and thumb. Four stitches. Pretty much healed now. It is now in a drawer. Too heavy for the magnetic bar.
                              A few of my favorite things:
                              Good Whiskey
                              Good Food
                              Bad Girls
                              sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                              Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Working...
                              X