Oklahoma Joe Highland Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oklahoma Joe Highland Question

Over the past weekend I was given a Oklahoma Joe Highland as a gift. It was given to me already assembled. When it was time to season, I placed wood chunks along with charcoal and smoke leaked around where the side fire box bolts on to the cooking chamber and leaked smoke around where the side fire box bolts together.

My question is can I apply the RTV Silicone as is? Or do I have to unassembled the side fire box, then apply the RTV? Any help will do, thank you!
    sigpic

I would just take it apart and seal. I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to seal it w/o disassembly, but why risk it. It is just bolts. And while you're at it use some of the sealer, and/or BGE felt to seal the firebox door. Just my .02 I hope you get it set and we get to see some of your cooks.

Comment

Mayby check and see if the bolts are tight?
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by gmotoman View Post
        I would just take it apart and seal. I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to seal it w/o disassembly, but why risk it. It is just bolts. And while you're at it use some of the sealer, and/or BGE felt to seal the firebox door. Just my .02 I hope you get it set and we get to see some of your cooks.
        I plan on taking it apart now. It wont be much to do. I'm just real excited now to smoke on it.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
          Mayby check and see if the bolts are tight?
          I checked and all bolts are tight. I ended up reading the reviews on the OKJ and a lot have mentioned smoke leaks from around the side fire box. It was a gift, so I'm going to do my best and work with what I have.
          sigpic

Comment

Sweet gift! I think TH has one.
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Craig (Smoke Freak) and myself have the big brother old style Longhorn.. The one you have is a lighter gauge metal and may have warped with heat a bit.. No issues though, if it is a big bother for your take it apart and seal with fire caulk.. It's not cheap but should do the trick since it gets really hot there..

Take pics and enjoy your new toy..
              Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Personally I think most of your smoke leaks will seal themselves eventually...A few good cooks and It may just be better...

I cooked for years on my leaky ol Chargriller...It worked (and leaked) just fine...
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

I have one of those. No leak issues at the fire box to cook chamber, but the cook chamber door leaked like crazy. I ran a bead of black hi temp rtv on the lip where the door rest, then spread Vaseline on the inside of the door. Shut the door and let it set overnight. No more leakage.
                  Custom backwoods chubby
                  Bellfab offset: big and heavy
                  Oklahoma Joe's offset
                  Really ugly drum
                  Bbq guru digi q
                  Red thermopen

Comment

Originally posted by old retired cabinetmaker View Post
                    I have one of those. No leak issues at the fire box to cook chamber, but the cook chamber door leaked like crazy. I ran a bead of black hi temp rtv on the lip where the door rest, then spread Vaseline on the inside of the door. Shut the door and let it set overnight. No more leakage.

Old Retired Cabinetmakers Rock!!!

Bear
                    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

A lot of the Mods from this thread will transfer over.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287

Good Luck
                      Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X