Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knowing galvanized steel from what just appears to be galvanized.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knowing galvanized steel from what just appears to be galvanized.

So I was over at my local Mills Fleet Farm earlier today and found these babies for $3.99 a throw in the livestock section. They had several dozen of them on the shelves so I held off on picking one up for now as I could not tell if they are galvanized or not. The finish certainly seemed bright enough to be galvanized but the product tag itself does not say that they are.

The are a hair over 16" in diameter spanning the inside edge of the rim, something near 4" deep and VERY heavy duty. I am thinking ash pan for my UDS charcoal basket all d@mn day if they turn out to be brightly finished bare steel.

Anyone come across these before? The manufacturer (Behrens) is in southeastern Minnesota and I already sent of an email inquiry as to the manufacturing process involved.

==============

Drinking is like playing golf... you'd best be prepared to play every club in your bag.

Steve the Bartender

There are no bad briskets... only poorly executed ones.

Steve the Food Man

No Idea, except contact them directly...?

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Even if it was galv..I dunno use as an ashpan would be an issue. Stuff has to get HOT... 450+ is what I have seen.

But you still don’t want FOOD in contact with galv no matter the temps.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I'm with Rich here. For an ash pan should be fine regardless.
        A few of my favorite things:
        Good Whiskey
        Good Food
        Bad Girls
        sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
        Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

If it's galvanized( more than likely hot dipped zinc process) it's not good for an ash pan. Small hot coals could drop through the fire grate and come in contact with the metal and that coal is hot enough to burn the coating.

If it's Glazed Aluminized Steel(like exhaust pipes) which would be a good coating to use.

Also for an ash pan in a uds 4" is too deep. Pan needs to be about 2" deep.

Find a cake pan at a Used Restaurant Equipment store or just order a new one like this...

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/16-...19FS25162.html
          Last edited by BYBBQ; 07-09-2017, 04:27 PM.
          Jim

Comment

Thanks Jim for the tip on pan depth, they did have a couple others from the same manufacturer on the shelves so I will recheck on them another day.

Your link above generated a "Sorry, no matching products found" error message btw... does one need an account with that online site to see what you are attempting to link as an example?
            ==============

Drinking is like playing golf... you'd best be prepared to play every club in your bag.

Steve the Bartender

Steve the Food Man

Comment

On the right hand side of that screen click where it says

<nav class="skip text-right col-xs-6">
              That's just an ad screen.

I remember that company making farm supply cans and tanks and almost everything they make is galvanized or hot dipped zinc(shinny finish)..
              In fact that pan is advertised on their web site as an oil catch pan and it's hot dipped zinc.

</nav>
              Jim

Comment

I went directly to the website I assumed you were linking to and found this...

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ame...24HA80182.html

Is this what you were recommending Jim?
                ==============

Steve the Bartender

Steve the Food Man

Comment

Originally posted by The Great White North View Post
                  I went directly to the website I assumed you were linking to and found this...

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ame...24HA80182.html

Is this what you were recommending Jim?
                  Your link does the same thing. It's an advertising page from their website. Click on the link on the side.

That will work, but the alum cake pans are only about $8 new.
                  I pick them up for $2-$3 used depending on condition.
                  Last edited by BYBBQ; 07-09-2017, 04:56 PM.
                  Jim

Comment

I did find it on their website as well but saw no specs stating it was hot dipped zinc. Even downloading the dealer product information .pdf file doesn't state exactly how it is manufactured.

https://www.behrensmfg.com/products/...s-utility-pan/

Did you mean to say you saw that detail on Fleet Farm's website?... if so they are notorious for incomplete and incorrect information on the products they sell at times online.
                    ==============

Steve the Bartender

Steve the Food Man

Comment

No, it's right on Behrens home page. Only painted and some fireplace tools are not galvanized.

The majority of Behrens products are made of Galvanized Sheet Steel:
                      • Bright-Shiny appearance, which is preferred whenever appearance is important
                      • Resist the elements-won’t oxidize
                      • Made in the US

They have been around for years. Tractor supply and other supply houses carry their products. I remember using different water tubs and pans when I was growing up on a farm. We used Tractor Supply.
                      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
                        Find a cake pan at a Used Restaurant Equipment store or just order a new one like this...

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/16-...19FS25162.html
                        Thanks for posting that link, Jim.

That's about half the price I paid for the table top charcoal grill that I bought recently to use for an ash pan.
                        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                        UDS 1.0
                        Afterburner
                        Weber Performer
                        Blue Thermapen
                        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                        Auber Smoker Controller
                        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                        -
                        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
                          If it's galvanized( more than likely hot dipped zinc process) it's not good for an ash pan. Small hot coals could drop through the fire grate and come in contact with the metal and that coal is hot enough to burn the coating.
                          Yeah but yer not likely to find that in a pan. And considering the heat sink effect of the steel..eh it COULD happen. BEst not to tempt fate if ya DID find a hot dipped pan.

The coal holder I used in the rotiss was hot galv, but was burnt off 2 years ago in a 6 hour coal bed. Which of course means it’s prolly done now. Gonna get some expanded bent.
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Find a cooking pan from Walmart, just unscrew the handle and should do the trick. No worries on galvanizing.....might work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Jerod
                            GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GOT14U View Post
                              Find a cooking pan from Walmart, just unscrew the handle and should do the trick. No worries on galvanizing.....might work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Be very hard to find a 16" pan at WalMart. Biggest they usually have is 12".
                              You could find a pizza pan big enough, but it wouldn't have any raised sides to hold the ashes in.
                              Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X