Calling all Philly natives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all Philly natives

My darling wife bought me a meat slicer as a Christmas gift.And the first thing i want to try and make with it is a cheesesteak. Now I have never been to Philly and but i want to make it as close to the recipes from places like Pat's,Genos,Ricks or Tony Lukes (I watch a lot of the food network lol)

Now as far i understand the recipe goes as follows
    Thinly slice rib eye
    Caramelized Onion
    Cheeze wiz(yuk), American Cheese or my favorite Provolone
    Amoroso bread roll

Has anybody got a recipe for a copycat Amoroso or Philly style bread roll.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

You're in Ontario? Go get a good baguette. Has to be a ton of good patisseries around.

Comment

I live in a small city north of Toronto.There is only 1 bakery in town.From what i have read the proper making of a cheese steak is all in the bread,it must be soft yet chewy so i want to get it as close to the original as possible.Also I like baking bread..

Comment

Now you opened up this can of worms.....

All i know is you cannot get a true Philly cheessteake anyplace unless you are within 50 miles of Philly. I have tried all over the country (USA) and failed.

Some are close but not the same.

Here is my 2 cents.

1. Its the grill (well seasoned, flavored)
        2. I have used top round works OK any low fat steak will work
        3. Cheese wiz is for show and I never had it on any good cheese steaks cause I dont like it.
        4. East coast American cheese is white in color, American cheese, and mushrooms and a little grease make a great cheese steak, charbroiled griddle flavor ......oh yea.....
        Last edited by nickelmore; 12-28-2016, 11:17 PM.

Comment

I prefer my cheessteak with a little lawry's and american cheese. Saute those shrooms and onions in real buter and throw them on a grilled bun. Don't get no better than that!

ETA: If you're ever in Jackson Michigan go check out a place called Night Lite. Small hole in the wall place but they have one of the best cheesteak sandwiches I've ever had. $7 and it comes with your choice of steamed veggies or fries and it's more than a meal.
          Bored Guy Blog

Comment

I'm not from philly but married (23 years together now) into philly roots and visit quite often.....and have consumed more than my fair share of steaks...

Oh the quest to copy the philly cheese steak..... Onions easy.... cutting the steak is hard but can be done... get a nice lean rib roast and partially freeze and cut that way very very thin... they season with salt, pretty simple from what I have seen from the many steaks I have had... now for the cheese... whiz...is better than you think on these... but if not you should be able to find white land-o-lakes American pretty easy... if not white American of another brand will do fine... or provolone, out in philly, it is pretty sharp, I find, so as you wish..

Now for the roll... good luck... Yet to find a recipe for this one.. rolls in philly are dense yet light, firm crust but not crunchy.... I can not find them in Dayton, so when I go east I get a dozen and bring home...The roll is just not copied outside of philly.. not sure what it is but they are good!! We just had a philly pretzel factor open up in town and those rock too!!! But that is a whole different story!!
            Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
            Yoder YS640
            Weber Genesis
            Weber 18.5" Kettle
            Weber Performer
            Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

I've had thousands of Cheesesteaks in my near 68 years (Not exaggerating),
              and one thing I should tell you, Copy most Cheesesteaks from within 50 miles of Philly, but don't copy Pats or Genos----They Suck!---All Hype---Tourist Attraction!
              And I would recommend Provolone, because Whiz is just tasteless grease. IMHO

Bear
              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I live 8 miles from Center City and worked in Philly for over 20 years. And Bear is correct, Ginos and Pats are the last 2 places you go for cheesesteaks. Thin sliced ribeye, on a hot griddle, bit of oil, chopped, add fried onions, and let the cheese melt over it all. The rolls are important, around here they use long sandwich rolls, hoagie rolls, but even a Kaiser roll would work.
                Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Thanks guys,i will try a recipe that I found online for an Italian hoagie roll.

Found this on a site called thekitchenwhisperer.com

Ingredients
                  4 cups bread flour
                  1 3/8 cups warm water (110-115F degrees) *See note
                  2 Tbl sugar
                  1 Tbl active dry yeast
                  1 tsp salt
                  3 Tbl cold butter, cubed
                  Instructions
                  Add the yeast, sugar and 3/8 cup warm water in a bowl of a stand mixer.
                  Using a whisk or spoon, mix and set aside for 5-10 minutes or until the yeast has bubbled quite a bit.
                  In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook (this would be the same bowl your yeast mixture is in) add in the flour and remaining cup of water. Start off on low.
                  Mix for 4 minutes.
                  Add in the salt and mix for 5-6 minutes until the dough is slack (See note). At this point your mixer should be at medium speed.
                  Add in the butter and mix for 1-3 minutes or until the dough comes back together.
                  Remove from bowl and transfer to a greased, covered bowl until doubled in size. ~1 hour.
                  Divide into 8 pieces and shape. I would advise using as little flour as possible when shaping these. The more flour you add, the tougher the hoagies will be.
                  Transfer to a sprayed, parchment lined tray and cover.
                  Allow to rise again. ~30-45 minutes.
                  Preheat oven to 375 and bake for 16-23 minutes or until golden brown.
                  Allow to cool before cutting with a quality bread knife ( Sani-Safe S162-8SC-PCP 8" Scalloped Bread Knife with Polypropylene Handle Pan )
                  Notes
                  3/8 cup is equal to 6 Tbl ��

Slack dough means when then dough cannot hold a shape; it has no elasticity or spring back at all. It’s wet dough but not too wet. It’s “billowy”. The dough is super, super soft and smooth.

Comment

Just to play devils advocate now, who does Phillys best cheesesteak???

Comment

You could ask 20 people and get 20 different answers.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/09/b...ia-philly.html
                      Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                      My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                      @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Ronan View Post
                        Just to play devils advocate now, who does Phillys best cheesesteak???

Like Jim said, everybody has their favorites!

I go by "town's Best":
                        Where I live now "Macungie", my favorites are from "Vito's" and Salvatore's".

When I was Young, and lived in or around Quakertown, the best used to be at "Smitty's Drive-Inn". Then they closed, and "The Pub" took over the "Best" Cheesesteaks & Webers in the area.
                        Smitty's was kinda like "Arnold's" was on "Happy Days", when I was a Teenager.

There's a lot of pretty good Cheesesteaks in the area, but the ALL-Time Best was Smitty's (Quakertown), and the Best today is "The Pub" (Quakertown).
                        This is about 40 Miles North of Philly.

Bear
                        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Yeah, I've only had one really good PSS but they are so far away, it doesn't matter.

So, my family and I are have become big fans of the loose meat sandwich. To further complicate things, I just heard about the NY version of a cheese steak, a cheese burger, a loose meat sandwich, etc.

Wife and boys are out of town skiing so I am doing some experiments tonight....we'll see. If you don't hear back from me, please send help!
                          Pete
                          Large BGE
                          Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

https://www.sites.google.com/site/sq...ly-cheesesteak

The roll is the tough part, how you cook and the texture of the meat is another, I shred the meat while cooking with a fork. Once the meat is still a bit rare and wet, I add a bit of powdered beef gravy, this really makes a difference in flavor especially with plain steaks.

Another consideration is layering, how you place the meat, onion and cheese on the roll.
                            I like to cut American or cooper sharp into the meat with fried Onions and place some provolone on one side of the roll, you want a little beef in contact with the roll.
                            Another trick I do is when the sandwich is made, is to wrap in foil for about 10 minutes before serving, this helps with the texture of the roll.
                            There's more than one way to skin a cat, make it how you like it.

Comment

I ordered a cheesesteak at a county Fair in Delaware many moons ago, it was a steak on a roll with cheese.

Comment

Working...
                              X