My first attempt of Cold Smoking some Cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first attempt of Cold Smoking some Cheese

So I finally invested in a cold smoking tube. I was going to get the Amaze-N tube, but then the other day I was in Target waiting for my prescription to get filled, and stumbled across the Char-Broil smoker tube, and it was selling for $9.99. I didn't know how well it worked, but I figured at that price I couldn't go wrong.

I decided that I would try to cold smoke some cheese, and quickly too, since the weather is getting warmer day by day, and I wanted to do this before it got too hot to cold smoke. I got several different types of cheeses, and smoked them for around 3 hours. Then I let the cheese rest for a while before vacuum sealing it and storing it for a while to mellow out.

Of course I had to try a few pieces, and they tasted great. I let the rest of it rest for 3 weeks in the fridge, and I couldn't be happier with the results.

I made a video to show the process. The link is below. For some reason I cannot embed the video into the post, so I apologize for that.

Cold Smoking Cheese Video

If you enjoy the taste of smoked cheese I would definitely recommend you trying this. It is very simple and produces delicious tasting smoked cheese, and is much more inexpensive than buying it in the store.
    Smoking Salmon the easy way, Smoked Tri Tip, Smoked Baby Back Ribs, Smoked Pork Loin, Apple Smoked Bacon, Slow Cooker Carnitas with Pico de Gallo, Slow Cooker Beef Stew
    Smoked and Cured Chicken using Pop's Brine,Smoked and Cured Pork Loin with a Whiskey & Orange Glaze,Smoked and Cured Turkey

Nice work!
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Looks fantastic. I myself have recently fallen in love with the process of cold smoking.

Comment

Man, I gotta get on this gig! That looks wonderful!!! And what a deal on the smoke tube!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Like the assortment packs you made there. I noticed you have it expiring in 6 months, I'm sure it won't last that long, but they'll hold up fine for over a year.
          Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
          My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
          @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
            Man, I gotta get on this gig! That looks wonderful!!! And what a deal on the smoke tube!
            Yeah you do Hawg. I brought a couple hunks and some Ritz™to a party and you would've thought I brought gold bouillon. People love it.

Comment

Eric, job well done and great video too.
              20x36 BYC by Klose Modified
              36" Jenn-Air NG Grill
              22" webber
              several burners
              pool/spa (of course)
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
                Like the assortment packs you made there. I noticed you have it expiring in 6 months, I'm sure it won't last that long, but they'll hold up fine for over a year.
                Those expiration dates were written by my wife. She is programed to put a date 6 months into the future on most of the stuff I vacuum seal.

UPDATE: It has been approximately one month since I smoked that cheese, and opened up a bag last night to check it out. It was delicious! I was a bit worried, because I actually tried some after around 10 days, and it was horrible. Tasted like an ashtray. Vacuum sealed it again and back into the fridge for another 3 weeks and it now tastes wonderful. So you definitely need it to mellow out for at least 3 weeks, longer in even better.
                Smoking Salmon the easy way, Smoked Tri Tip, Smoked Baby Back Ribs, Smoked Pork Loin, Apple Smoked Bacon, Slow Cooker Carnitas with Pico de Gallo, Slow Cooker Beef Stew
                Smoked and Cured Chicken using Pop's Brine,Smoked and Cured Pork Loin with a Whiskey & Orange Glaze,Smoked and Cured Turkey

Comment

So are ya happy with the smoke tube? Co worker just ordered one online last night and is awaiting delivery just so he make some smoked cheese after tasting a few samples of some of mine.
                  Bored Guy Blog

Comment

Nice job on that cheese...I hadn't seen that smoke tube, but like the looks of it...and just checked with the local target...they have 5 of 'em and they are $8.99. I'll prolly own 3 of 'em tomorrow. One for me, one for a neighbor (just had his 60th birthday on Tuesday), and one for a guy at work.
                    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by emuleman View Post
                      Those expiration dates were written by my wife. She is programed to put a date 6 months into the future on most of the stuff I vacuum seal.

UPDATE: It has been approximately one month since I smoked that cheese, and opened up a bag last night to check it out. It was delicious! I was a bit worried, because I actually tried some after around 10 days, and it was horrible. Tasted like an ashtray. Vacuum sealed it again and back into the fridge for another 3 weeks and it now tastes wonderful. So you definitely need it to mellow out for at least 3 weeks, longer in even better.
                      Nice work on the cheese smoke! Without over powering the cheese with harsh white smoke, giving the cheese an hour or so of smoke (fruit woods are excellent) and vacuum sealing the cheese to refrigerate at least 2 weeks for the smoke to meld in the cheese and mellow works best for our taste preference.
                      --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                      www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Yes on the mellowing period. I have smoked a lot of cheese over the past 5-6 years and definitely needs aging at least 2 weeks. Kept vac pack in the fridge 6-8 months or longer. Always tastes great. My friends love it. Good job, that looks great.
                        sigpicYeah...that's right...I'm smokin'.

The GOOD ONE smoker grill
                        Weber 22 1/2 Wannabe (aka WW)
                        Weber 22 1/2 Silver One Touch
                        Smokey Joe New model, Smokey Joe 1984 model
                        fire pit in the yard
                        10 & 12 Lodge DO,
                        Maverick ET73, ET732.
                        A-MAZE-N SMOKER 5x8, RED HOT Thermapen
                        MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric smoker

Rick

Comment

Nice job...
                          I have had cheese stored in the fridge for 18 months...Still good
                          Craig
                          sigpic

Comment

Nice video emuleman. Im going to cold smoke my first batch tonight since its finally cooling down in Phoenix. Got the A-Maze-N tube smoker going and the POS ChinaMasterbuilt all cleaned out and some ground beef jerky cold smoking in it now, so tonight I have Gouda and Mozzerella ready to go too. I'll have to try the cheese sticks too. Mrs. Otis bought some "low fat" Cheese sticks that just dont cut it. Maybe some smoke will make them doable.
                            Mike
                            Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
                            POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
                            Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

tis the season here in the southwest.......my stash is gettin' low!
                              sigpic
                              it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Working...
                              X