No announcement yet.

Tip...?....Watermelon Rind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something like that, Tip. I did some searching on the interlink and there's a ton of them. Seems that there's some cultural differences. Some used raisins and some used currants. Greatgramma's recipe used both. Some use a lemon sauce, and hers was a vanilla sauce.

So, I guess we'll have to just make a few and see how it goes. Unless Pops can find it. My asking for some of these recipes has renewed his search. He's jonesing for some. Lol.
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

Comment

You Guy's are great! These recipe's are what (i'll shut up!) Thank's!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

The suet pudding ma made would probably make the surgeon general faint, but OMG was it good.
        S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

GOSM Propane
        New Braunfels Bandera
        UniFlame Gas Grill
        Lil Chief

Comment

Never heard of that. sounds good. I also always hear about watermelon wine...Would love to try that
          Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

Tip & Double R.....Did it... not alot. Just Me & Louie & i'll do more...this is ez! My Dad was here & he said Grannie used lemon's & allspice. His eye's were lit cause..I ain't had that in 30 year's!

On the stove..

One quart.......

Sunset Eagle Aviation
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Good ta hear mike, ifin it brings a bit a joy ta somebody, that be what were here for!

Good en ta teach the youngins to, cause someday this will all be gone ifin we don't pass it on. The world needs ta step back a bit an re-learn what were fergettin.

Enjoy.
              sigpic

Comment

Looking good.. Never had them.. I see you have a bag of zippers on the counter.. I'll be glad when they go on sale here soon.. I can eat my weight in them..
                Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Nice! Let us know how they turn out.
                  S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                  New Braunfels Bandera
                  UniFlame Gas Grill
                  Lil Chief

Comment

so you get rid of the bitter skin first. Well that makes sense now lol

Looking interesting.

And as for suet pudding - yeah my dad and my sister used to make a steamed jam (jelly) suet pudding cooked in a teacloth.
                    My sister's been in canada for over 20 years now - so we ain't had that in a while lol.
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Been a week... Have we had a taste test yet???
                      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Yes Sir!.....yesterday with a IBC cherry limeade. Really good, i'll take a pic after Church. Gonna do some more.
                        Sunset Eagle Aviation

Comment

Man this is some good stuff! Thank's Tip & RowdyRay, think i'll get one of them big ol stripped melon & do somemore!

Sunset Eagle Aviation

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
                            This stuff brings back some good memories.

This is based on how many quart jars you are going to can. So may have to guess by how much brine you make.

Trim all pink and skin off the rind. Cut into 1-2 inch pieces. Soak 8-10 hours or overnight in salt brine. Make enough to cover the rind.

Brine:

2 cups water
                            1/4 cup salt

Rinse and mix per quart, in large kettle:

1 cup cider vinegar
                            2 cups sugar
                            1 tsp whole cloves
                            1 large stick cinnammon

Add rind and boil for 20 - 30 minutes. Put in sterile pint or quart jars, covering completely with liquid. Seal. Let sit for about a week.

Note: Mom always added food coloring. Usually green, but red can be used too. Dad says she never measured, just a few drops. Whatever looked good.
                            Did you process it in boiling water afterwards? Or did the hot solution make a seal....
                            "I'm the 82nd Airborne, and this is as far as the bastards are going."
                            PFC Martin, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, Battle of the Buldge

Comment

Once it got to temp.....in a clean mason jar, seal & lid. Turn it upside down, till it is cool. In the refrig for about a week is all I could stand till I opened. Did another batch about the same. I like it, even put some on a salad.
                              Sunset Eagle Aviation

Comment

OK...Lids are hot, Mason jars in dishwasher on dry cycle...Immersed in steam.. Liquid coming to boil...
                                "I'm the 82nd Airborne, and this is as far as the bastards are going."
                                PFC Martin, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, Battle of the Buldge

Comment

Working...
                                X