Best vacuum sealer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
    Sorry, I was AWOL when this was first posted. Been kind of avoiding it, because the FoodSavers have really gone down hill. I don't recommend any of the upright models or their newer ones to any one.

I know Erain has been through many FoodSavers. Even the Pro models. But we've got a II & III that just keep going. Some of the older ones are still decent units. That's why I pick them up and give you folks deals on them from time to time. But they're still a channel type unit, and water can ruin them.

The VacuPack units are really the best ones out there. Unfortunately they stopped making them. That's why you can only find them on Ebay and the price has really gone up. I was assured by Thom, that parts will still be available for quite awhile. They look like this and may have different names on them.

http://web.iwebcenters.com/professio...ng/Nozzel.ivnu
    Like I always said for the casual user one of the box store machines might get ya buy. But unless you are really careful about not getting moisture in the pump, and it dont take much but seems when you really needed it is when it decides to quit on you.

I use my machines hard, make a pile of bags all at once, then load all the bags with deer, elk, pork, whatever i got going on but you all know it aint a steak every now and then over here...

Ray, i did resurrect one of my Pro III's which i use for dry product only. But when I got real work I will grab the Vac U Pak.
    Charbroil SFB
    GOSM
    MES
    Dutch Ovens and other CI
    Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
    Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
      Like I always said for the casual user one of the box store machines might get ya buy. But unless you are really careful about not getting moisture in the pump, and it dont take much but seems when you really needed it is when it decides to quit on you.

I use my machines hard, make a pile of bags all at once, then load all the bags with deer, elk, pork, whatever i got going on but you all know it aint a steak every now and then over here...

Ray, i did resurrect one of my Pro III's which i use for dry product only. But when I got real work I will grab the Vac U Pak.
      Yeah, that's all I use my pro III for. Kitchen use. My brother does the same. I have a VacuPack and I got another for the deer processing. Both get used very hard in the course of a weekend.
      S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
      CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
      New Braunfels Bandera
      UniFlame Gas Grill
      Lil Chief

Comment

Thanks for the input erain. Guess I'll buy a basic store one when I need to. The most I'll do is bag some smoked turkey or pulled pork and brisket. And it will be family amounts I'll be cooking and bagging.

Do you have input where I should buy and the best source for the bags?

And lastly any links to tips to bag the right way?

Appreciate the input, love to get one of the better ones, but the space to store and I just won't be doing 30 bags a week etc. Yet, hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by Conumdrum View Post
          Thanks for the input erain. Guess I'll buy a basic store one when I need to. The most I'll do is bag some smoked turkey or pulled pork and brisket. And it will be family amounts I'll be cooking and bagging.

Do you have input where I should buy and the best source for the bags?

And lastly any links to tips to bag the right way?

Appreciate the input, love to get one of the better ones, but the space to store and I just won't be doing 30 bags a week etc. Yet, hehe.
          No recomendation as to where, shop around and see what you like. Check online as well.

Watch for sales at the foodsaver website, by bulk rolls on ebay, i guess where ever you find them cheapest. I did give you some links to machines on ebay that are better than any you will find in a store and for less money...

If you do buy a channel type machine which i am 90% sure you will. Roll up a paper towel or two and fit in the channel to absorb any moisture if some should come from the bag when your vaccing. I dont like the idea of having a paper towel sealed inside the bag like some do.

If you notice moisture pulling up towards the sealing area as soon as it is done sealing i slide the bag out a bit, maybe an eighth of an inch or so and hit the button again to pull it down again making sure it is still under vacuum and reseal a second time.

Good luck with what you buy, sounds like what you have in mind is rather light duty and you can prolly get by with a box store model.
          Charbroil SFB
          GOSM
          MES
          Dutch Ovens and other CI

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Comment

Vacupack.com Craigslist dated 9.18.2013

$99.00
              Does anyone have this model? Reviews?
              http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ppd/4076614561.html
              Attached Files
              Weber 22.5
              Lil Chief
              1950's Crosley Shelvadore
              Bradley Smoker
              Maverick ET732
              Nesco Dehydrator
              Thermapen "Blue Bayou"

Comment

Originally posted by XLR8R View Post
                $99.00
                Does anyone have this model? Reviews?
                http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ppd/4076614561.html
                Careful this isn't a scam. If it's real nab it. They go for 700.00.

http://www.officialvacupack.com/prod...roducts_id=225
                Last edited by RowdyRay; 10-09-2013, 06:08 PM.
                S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                New Braunfels Bandera
                UniFlame Gas Grill
                Lil Chief

Comment

Whoa really? Thanks for the heads up!
                  Weber 22.5
                  Lil Chief
                  1950's Crosley Shelvadore
                  Bradley Smoker
                  Maverick ET732
                  Nesco Dehydrator
                  Thermapen "Blue Bayou"

Comment

E, this thread is almost 3 years old.....lol

I was was looking at the machines on ebay in your post from last week, (checking prices) and look what popped up at the bottom of my screen as "newly listed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131016166528...84.m1497.l2649

I could not help myself

Now I have more vacuum sealers than smokers.......

Comment

Thanks everyone for the info about these machines. The boss let me get one, she had been thinking about one for a while and asked me about the ones at the store. Due to the experts, I had an answer!

I bought this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tilia-Foodsa...item4177102a0f

Now, what about bags? Seen a tidbit here about the better bags. Don't need a ton, just some bags. I guess it will do up to 11" bags? What about this link? Be a good start for bags eh?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-ROLLS-8-x-...81169230534%26

Thanks for listening!

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                        E, this thread is almost 3 years old.....lol

I was was looking at the machines on ebay in your post from last week, (checking prices) and look what popped up at the bottom of my screen as "newly listed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131016166528...84.m1497.l2649

I could not help myself

Now I have more vacuum sealers than smokers.......
                        If I hadnt been gone elk hunting i wonder if you would have got it for that price...... nice buy man! that was one hell of a deal free shipping even! If not me than who better than a forum member.
                        Charbroil SFB
                        GOSM
                        MES
                        Dutch Ovens and other CI

sigpic

Comment

NM............

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
                            If I hadnt been gone elk hunting i wonder if you would have got it for that price...... nice buy man! that was one hell of a deal free shipping even! If not me than who better than a forum member.
                            LOL Hope you had a good hunt.

Comment

11 inch bags are OK, but over the years I have started using mostly 8 inch.

I watch for sales at food saver with free shipping etc. I also watch bargain sales at Kohls, I usually can score 30% off with coupons.

There was someone who stops by here every so often and gives out 10% off coupons code on her website, but with shipping they were still more expensive than food saver on sale.

I store mine in a dry cool area of my basement work area and have never had a storage issue with them going bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X