Smoke A Lot Of Stuff All In One Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke A Lot Of Stuff All In One Weekend

This weekend I went over to my brothers place for his annual, "Smoke a lot of stuff all in one weekend event". Basically he's making room in the freezer for future venison. Yeah, a lot of it goes back in the freezer, but now it's cooked and a lot smaller. Hehe. This year wasn't as bad as last. He had to go golfing today with his fantasy football team or something. Anyway....

Didn't get pics of the butts, I see. Oh well. Started out about 9:00 PM Friday night. Put two turkeys in. They were brined in a basic salt brine with rosemary, thyme...etc. Smoked with mesquite at 300 for about 5 hours. At around 2:30 AM we threw in two pork butts. Got the smoker settled in at 225 with hickory and cherry and hit the sack. Up at 7:00 AM. Smoker was at 248. Perfect. Threw in two racks of venison hind quarter chunks marinaded in McCormicks cracked pepper corn. Let the butts drip on them to keep them from drying out. They were all between 135-140 by noon. The first butt came off about 3:30 PM and the second, 4:30. Foiled and coolered to rest. 5:00 put in 25 lbs of Curley's venison bacon. Done by 10:00 PM. By Midnight all but the bacon was stripped, sliced, pulled and vac'd up. Not bad.

Tried something new also. They grew some kohlrabi. Weren't all that impressed with it. Asked me if I knew what to do with it......errr.....smoke it? After the laughter subsided, the SIL plucked one. She peeled it and cut it in half. Seasoned one with a jamaican seasoning and the other with Cavender's greek seasoning. How else? Duh!.....wrapped in bacon. The jamaican one wasn't that good. The flavors just clashed. But, the Cavender's was snarfed up in about 5 minutes. Give it a try.

Sorry for the crappy cell pics, it was hectic and I snapped them when I could. It was a blast. In a little over 24 hours we made a lot of good eats, had a lot of laughs and consumed as much of HIS beer as possible. Lol. Until next year......
    Attached Files
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

That's quite a cook. Thanks for sharing! I love kohlrabi. I slice it and eat on bread and butter with salt sprinkled on it. Yum... gonna hafta go get some. It's the season for it.
    DennyD

GrillPro charcoal cabinet smoker, CharGriller Pro, 22" CKG(cheap kettle grill), 16" UniFlame kettle, Firepit/smoker stickburner, Brinkman gasser w/smoker box

Comment

Looks pretty good from here RR.

Tom

Comment

Looks like a good mix of goodies. Good food, friends and beer, that's what it's all about
        https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Very impressive cook and you consumed "his" beer also
          Are those racks out of the.............could it be the Bandera
          sigpic
          New Braunfels Bandera
          New Braunfels Hondo
          4-22.5" Weber Kettles
          1-26" Weber Kettle
          24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
          Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
            Very impressive cook and you consumed "his" beer also
            Are those racks out of the.............could it be the Bandera
            Lol. I wish. This was done with the GOSM. Butt!!!.....You'll be pleased to know, I've started restoring the Bandera. Got a friend working on a basket for the firebox, and I'm removing rust. Stay tuned.......
            S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
            CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
            New Braunfels Bandera
            UniFlame Gas Grill
            Lil Chief

Comment

Get it on Double R! Ooooo...i'll take a bit of it all & pass me a Natty!
              Sunset Eagle Aviation
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Hell Yeah!.... I woulda loved to been hangin with the Rx2 crowd & downin some of them beers right with ya!..... Great thread & looks like the Vac Packer got a little workout....

Nice Work Ray & Bro........
                sigpic

Comment

Looks Great Ray...

Comment

Great looking spread, Ray! Too much work for me, but I admire anyone who does that much in a weekend.
                    sigpic
                    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

nice job RRay. yup its that time a the year again... go thru the freezer and investigate for any hidden venison that might possibly be left. i found a little vein of elk but mostly ground so waiting to coolown a bit and make up some chili... heck of a weekend smoking bro!!! have eaten them kolorabi before but always raw with salt. never cooked much less smoked... for drinking HIS beer all weekend!!!
                      Charbroil SFB
                      GOSM
                      MES
                      Dutch Ovens and other CI
                      Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                      Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Damn!

JT

Comment

Wow, now that's how you do it. Kudos RR...
                          ---------------------------------------------------
                          I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                          ---------------------------------------------------
                          KCBS CBJ

Comment

Very nice! Sounds like a blast. I need to do something like that. Probably more like a sausage party tho... lots of trimmings/various hunks in my freezers.
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

looks like a fun smoke :-)

Like erain I've only ever had kohlrabi with salt.

It'd probably match up quite well with some mad hunky (well everything else does lol)
                              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                              X