First Fall Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Fall Smoke

Got some chicken, a beef round roast, couple pork chops, a 2lb bologna, some brats, and assorted stuffed peppers out of the freezer and fridge for smoking today.

Left to right: pork chops; Big Ron's Original Rub and garlic, 2 boneless chic breasts/bacon. Chicken leg 1/4 and thigh-all chicken was marinated in Kroger Sesame Ginger, with Big Rons Original and garlic for the rub. Marinade/FD Sweet and Zesty and white vinegar. Beef round roast marinated in bourbon, white vinegar, worchester sauce, lem juice, brn sugar & splenda.

Next ready to go in was the bologna with chipotle seasoning, onion, and brown sugar.

The brats went in after all the other meats, when they got done simmering in Honey Brown beer and SWB Honey Chipotle sauce. I also put the stuffed peppers in right after the bologna came out, so didn't have time for a "before" picture of the peppers either.

The round, pork chops, and bologna all got done at the same time.

Soon after the peppers went in, the chicken came out, and I plated up some of each meat I had smoked. I sliced the round real thin... it made a great London Broil.

Heres the stuffed peppers when they got done: They were, yellow italian sweet peppers, sweet green peppers, poblanos, and cowhorn peppers. I stuffed some of them with cream cheese, blue cheese, bacon ends and caramelized onions, and some of them with blue cheese, mushrooms, pickled jalapenos and cilantro. All were sprinkled with Big Ron's HoH.
    Last edited by DennyD; 09-27-2010, 06:17 PM.
    DennyD

GrillPro charcoal cabinet smoker, CharGriller Pro, 22" CKG(cheap kettle grill), 16" UniFlame kettle, Firepit/smoker stickburner, Brinkman gasser w/smoker box

Excellent plate of goodies, Denny! Thanks for the pics.
    sigpic
    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Nice smoke, really like them peppers!
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
        Nice smoke, really like them peppers!
        Thanks Mark. Peppers turned out very well. The cowhorn peppers, the long slender chilis at the bottom, are similar in heat to jalapenos, and both of them were stuffed with the blue cheese/pickled jalapeno/'shroom/cilantro. That made them too hot for my wife, but I thought they were really tasty and would rate them as only quite spicy. The smoked bologna with the chipotle seasoning and onion seems every bit as spicy to me as those stuffed cowhorn chilis, but my wife likes this smoked bologna almost as much as she does burnt ends.... which are candy to her. Funny about different people's perceptions when it comes to hot, spicy foods. I have done smoked bologna 3 different times(and different ways) now and I think this is the best ever, too!
        DennyD

GrillPro charcoal cabinet smoker, CharGriller Pro, 22" CKG(cheap kettle grill), 16" UniFlame kettle, Firepit/smoker stickburner, Brinkman gasser w/smoker box

Comment

Hot Damn!! I don't know how I missed your phone call telling me supper was on. Shucks...I apologize for not being there to do my part in devouring some of that great looking food Those chilis look superb!
          Thanks for sharing
          Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
          Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Great looking spread Denny. Kudos...
            ---------------------------------------------------
            I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
            ---------------------------------------------------
            KCBS CBJ

Comment

Great looking spread Denny I see BACON made an apperance I love "BACON"

How long did you smoke the round, I am thinking about tryin one.
              sigpic

Char-Griller Outlaw w-SFB & (mods)
              30" Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse

Comment

Dang Dude! Ya got it going there!
                Sunset Eagle Aviation
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by BigPoppaDW View Post
                  Great looking spread Denny I see BACON made an apperance I love "BACON"

How long did you smoke the round, I am thinking about tryin one.
                  I smoked the round for 2 hours to a temperature of between 140 and 145°. Last one I did was a bit smaller and took 1 1/2 hours. Also I did this one to almost med because my wife prefers it to more rare, and I could since it was CAB and had some fat through the meat, so was still nice and tender. Otherwise I'd have gone to around 135° and pulled it to rest.

Marinade is two oz bourbon, 1 1/2oz of white vinegar, worchester sauce, a bit of lemon juice, and a rounded tablespoon of brown sugar. Let it marinade in a ziplock bag with all the air pressed out, and it doesn't take much marinade.
                  Used my beef rub: 4T chili powder, 4T black pepper, 4T onion powder, 1 1/2T splenda(or sugar), 1/2T salt, 1/2T paprika and 1t celery seed..... or multiples of those amounts.
                  I've fixed rounds using other marinades or no marinade, but we like the bourbon marinade best for sliced round. Slice it 1/8" to no more than 3/16" thick across the grain at close to a 45° angle.

Added on edit: I mix the rub as above I have medium heat chili powder on hand. If I have really hot chili powder, I use 2 1/2T Chili powder and 3T sugar/splenda.
                  Last edited by DennyD; 09-29-2010, 10:11 AM.
                  DennyD

Comment

They were, yellow italian sweet peppers, sweet green peppers, poblanos, and cowhorn peppers. I stuffed some of them with cream cheese, blue cheese, bacon ends and caramelized onions, and some of them with blue cheese, mushrooms, pickled jalapenos and cilantro. All were sprinkled with Big Ron's HoH.

The meat was good but that there pepper cook is worth in my book.
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

That all looks fantastic! Love the peppers, too!
                      Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                      Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                      1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                      Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                      Weber Smokey Joe
                      Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                      Pink Thermapen
                      Purple Thermapen

Comment

Missed this... Nice bunch of goodness....That bologna has me jonesing epsecialy hard....

Comment

Oh poooop, I forgot the !
                          Mark
                          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Wow, that's quite a spread. And it looks great, too.

Not sure how I missed it the first time around.

Dave
                            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                            UDS 1.0
                            Afterburner
                            Weber Performer
                            Blue Thermapen
                            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                            Auber Smoker Controller
                            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                            -
                            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Everything looks great!
                              “Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist. Children already know that monsters exist.
                              Fairy tales teach children that monsters can be killed.”
                              - G. K. Chesterton

Char Griller 7474(w/SFB), UDS, WSJ Mini-drum conversion, MES 30

Comment

Working...
                              X