Best vacuum sealer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very strange. Still works for me.

Try this, see below, remove "[xurl] in the beginning and remove [x/url]" at the end. Copy and paste on to your browser and enter.

"[xurl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFqnm7ryUnQ[x/url]"

dcarch

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
      Any one here have a weston vac sealer?

They seem to have good reviews but cant use foodsaver style bags.
      I have the Weston Pro 2300 and love it. Great power and will do 15" bags.
      I was using an old Foodsaver but it wouldn't do bags big enough for large butts and did not have enough power to vacum large cuts of meat. The Weston Pro I purchased will seal a 10 lb. butt or a 15 lb brisket with no problem and I can still use the Food Saver roll I had left. Works great.
      I'm no Gynecologist
      But I'll take a look at it

Comment

Funny that this thread was re-posted yesterday as I bought a whole angus tenderloin and ribeye at RD and I was sealing the steaks and my 23 year old Kenmore seal n save died with two bags to go. I ordered the foodsaver sportsman sealer today and I only had to pay $17.00 as I had accrued Amazon credits that covered the rest.
        MES 30"
        A-Maze-N pellet smoker
        Weber 22" kettle
        E-Z-Que rotisserie
        Weber Smokey Joe
        Big Weber Gasser
        Cracker Smoker
        UDS

Comment

Wow, old thread,

I took up a hobby of buying old vac u paks on ebay until I found two that I liked. A good cleaning got all of them working great. I kept the two that pulled 25 inches of vacuum.

I still have my old food saver, heck I just found a seal a meal brand new in the box at my FIL house.

But you cannot go wrong with the old vacupaks. Simple operation easy to clean, easy to work on. And once you get the hang of how they work just plain better.

Comment

Originally posted by dcarch View Post
            You may have seen my "Redneck Blender" post.

Now see my Redneck Vacuum pump.

A $20.00 tire pump is a very powerful vacuum also. You can still use it as a tire pump after the mod.

dcarch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFqnm7ryUnQ
            Can see it now. Thats pretty cool!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
              Wow, old thread,

I took up a hobby of buying old vac u paks on ebay until I found two that I liked. A good cleaning got all of them working great. I kept the two that pulled 25 inches of vacuum.

I still have my old food saver, heck I just found a seal a meal brand new in the box at my FIL house.

But you cannot go wrong with the old vacupaks. Simple operation easy to clean, easy to work on. And once you get the hang of how they work just plain better.
              You are correct there sir!!! Have been trying to share the knowledge since i finally figured out the FS scam. Not to mention they pull almost commercial grade vacuum and none of the hassles like with the diaphram pumps used in the cheap asian built models...

By the way, the old vintage tilia food savers and the vacupacks are one and the same (Iam sure you know that but there might be folks out there who dont).

So, thats how come i cant get them for 20 bux offa ebay anymore...
              Charbroil SFB
              GOSM
              MES
              Dutch Ovens and other CI
              Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
              Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
                You are correct there sir!!! Have been trying to share the knowledge since i finally figured out the FS scam. Not to mention they pull almost commercial grade vacuum and none of the hassles like with the diaphram pumps used in the cheap asian built models...

By the way, the old vintage tilia food savers and the vacupacks are one and the same (Iam sure you know that but there might be folks out there who dont).

Hey E, how do the sealing/heating components hold up? Can they be replaced? Parts available? Thanks
                sigpic

Comment

Yep I just look for the ones that don't work, or look nasty. There is only three things that I have run into that create challanges for them not too work properly. Disinfecting them from abuse is the worst problem,

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                    Hey E, how do the sealing/heating components hold up? Can they be replaced? Parts available? Thanks
                    Yes, you can buy replacement heating elements.

I have found you get better control, on some machines, to rewire the pump and the heating element separate, so you decide when to seal and how long to seal, how long to vacuum.

dcarch

Comment

Sorry, I was AWOL when this was first posted. Been kind of avoiding it, because the FoodSavers have really gone down hill. I don't recommend any of the upright models or their newer ones to any one.

I know Erain has been through many FoodSavers. Even the Pro models. But we've got a II & III that just keep going. Some of the older ones are still decent units. That's why I pick them up and give you folks deals on them from time to time. But they're still a channel type unit, and water can ruin them.

The VacuPack units are really the best ones out there. Unfortunately they stopped making them. That's why you can only find them on Ebay and the price has really gone up. I was assured by Thom, that parts will still be available for quite awhile. They look like this and may have different names on them.

http://web.iwebcenters.com/professio...ng/Nozzel.ivnu

If you can find one of these on Ebay cheap, grab it. It was marketed as a VacuPack Lite. Also Italian made. Still a channel unit, but made better. Both of my son's have one of these. They may have different names on them. Deni and Magic Vac to name some. I know Slanted88 has one with the Kenmore name on it.

http://web.iwebcenters.com/professio...g/Compact.ivnu

Now it looks like they have completely different units. All channel style too.
                      S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                      CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                      New Braunfels Bandera
                      UniFlame Gas Grill
                      Lil Chief

Comment

If you're asking about the VacuPack units, I've never had to replace the heat seal bar. It can be replaced.
                        S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                        CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                        New Braunfels Bandera
                        UniFlame Gas Grill
                        Lil Chief

Comment

So, ...... what is the best vacuum sealer that you can purchase for less than $150.00?

I am not sure that this question has been answered.

Thanks,

Ed
                          Yoder YS480
                          Yoder Cheyenne
                          Weber Kettle w/ Rotissieri
                          Kettlepizza

Comment

I have not seen any issues with the heating elements, but that is prolly because they have a 100% duty cycle...

The only real issue i have heard on these units is when storing not having the thing set properly to relieve any pressure from the seal pad. But that is an operator error as it is spelled out in the owners manual. I would guess any of these machines bought on ebay, that would prolly be your worst case scenario...
                            Charbroil SFB
                            GOSM
                            MES
                            Dutch Ovens and other CI

sigpic

Comment

I have not seen any issues with the heating elements, but that is prolly because they have a 100% duty cycle...

The only real issue i have heard on these units is when storing not having the thing set properly to relieve any pressure from the seal pad. But that is an operator error as it is spelled out in the owners manual. I would guess any of these machines bought on ebay, that would prolly be your worst case scenario...
                              Thanks E! Just reminded me to prop my cover open again while storing
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by veryolddog View Post
                                So, ...... what is the best vacuum sealer that you can purchase for less than $150.00?

I am not sure that this question has been answered.

Thanks,

Ed
                                here ya go Ed, these are the same as Vacu Pak's. like i said worse case other than some cleaning and some silicone lube into the pump, a set of pads would be your worse case scenario. I was buying them up for a while when i seen them like next to nothing. some i paid more for shipping than i did the actual item but that was when i knew some peeps who needed them and the prices have no doubt gone up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TILIA-Foodsa...item2c7347ea0e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Orig...item3f29fdc844

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-TILI...item33857f6df2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Foodsaver-va...item4176fdfac6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tilia-Foodsa...item4177102a0f
                                Charbroil SFB
                                GOSM
                                MES
                                Dutch Ovens and other CI

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X